Ace in the hole

Indecisi0n

Then I'll say it again, why waste a paid day? You will get a dead day if your DOT card is expired whether they are available or not.
You do know that maintaining DOT is on the employee not the employer? They don't even have to give him the pay. At least that's how it is here. They use to give you the day here and so many people took advantage of it so it went bye bye.

Johney

You do know that maintaining DOT is on the employee not the employer? They don't even have to give him the pay. At least that's how it is here. They use to give you the day here and so many people took advantage of it so it went bye bye.
Yes I know it's our responsibility, but what if the place we get our DOT is only open mon-fri how do we get it done? All I said is why waste a "PAID" day off. What if you don't have an opt. 3 day?

Indecisi0n

Yes I know it's our responsibility, but what if the place we get our DOT is only open mon-fri how do we get it done? All I said is why waste a "PAID" day off. What if you don't have an opt. 3 day?
Most places are open at 8am. If you go at 8AM you are normally out by 9AM. If that is still not enough time there is nothing more you can do. I've had them take air off me and had my route waiting for me when I got in.

Johney

Most places are open at 8am. If you go at 8AM you are normally out by 9AM. If that is still not enough time there is nothing more you can do. I've had them take air off me and had my route waiting for me when I got in.
Nice. I have never spent less than 2 hours getting my DOT from the same place in over 30 years. All done on a day off....unpaid.

Indecisi0n

Nice. I have never spent less than 2 hours getting my DOT from the same place in over 30 years. All done on a day off....unpaid.
I tried going in late on purpose to try and get the day. Once there was a line I walked in and I was still out within an hour! Lol

barnyard

KTM rider
Could be a location thing.

The company can schedule a DOT physical as early as 7:00am here.

But.... it's a major city. Smaller locations are probably different.

Our DOT doctor changed his hours to get back our center's account. Our start time is after 9 and he opens at 7a. I don't think I have ever had a day off for a physical.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Our hub would just post a list of upcoming DOT and license experations and it was up to the driver to have it done. The company does has a lab/clinic where it can be done but you can also use your own doctor.

It's was pretty much a joke years ago. We had guys that were prime candidates for heart attacks and strokes and they would pass but the DOT tightened up on that.

I had borderline BP and was given a one year card. Some drivers were given a 90 day card and had to be retested every 90 days . A couple drivers actually did not pass the BP part and were taken off road. Some had to go to a sleep study and get the CPAP or whatever it is called so they could keep their CDL.

I think this is a good thing.I tried to keep my weight down and went to gym to stay in shape to keep the CDL. It was a good incentive.

Now that I am retired , I am actually in better condition. sleeping at night , getting more exercise , and eating better. Last physical the dr. said I was about 20 years younger than my age. It's hard staying in good condition as a graveyard feeder driver.

542thruNthru

Could be a location thing.

The company can schedule a DOT physical as early as 7:00am here.

But.... it's a major city. Smaller locations are probably different.

Is that in central language? Our DOT place is a clinic that's open 24hrs.

They've tired to schedule me a appointment at 630am a few times and I tell them No I won't do that. They've also tried to do it on a Sat and Sun and I've told them No as well.

The earliest DOT appointment I'll do is 8am and I will never do one of a weekend.