Ace in the hole

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
When your dot physical is expired in 10 days so you know you’ll get a day off before then to go complete it.....:thumbup:

Last edited:

Look at that boss, I have 1 option day left before my stuff rolls over at the end of the month. May I get a paid day off to go make sure there’s no sugar in my piss????

Johney

Look at that boss, I have 1 option day left before my stuff rolls over at the end of the month. May I get a paid day off to go make sure there’s no sugar in my piss????
Why in hell would you want to waste a paid day off to go sit in a Doc in a box office for hours to get a DOT physical?

Why in hell would you want to waste a paid day off to go sit in a Doc in a box office for hours to get a DOT physical?
Waste? I just bought a condo. I get the keys on the 15th. My savings is sitting pretty but there will be no dead days for a while.

Johney

Waste? I just bought a condo. I get the keys on the 15th. My savings is sitting pretty but there will be no dead days for a while.
Then I'll say it again, why waste a paid day? You will get a dead day if your DOT card is expired whether they are available or not.

It’s just how it all played out. In October I took a 3 day weekend and could’ve made it four but decided to leave the last option day. Then right as peak started I put two and two together....it’s not like I’m going to get an option day before my stuff rolls over. It just would’ve gotten paid out in a few weeks anyway.
Don’t rain on my parade; I’m sticking it to the man here....

Johney

It’s just how it all played out. In October I took a 3 day weekend and could’ve made it four but decided to leave the last option day. Then right as peak started I put two and two together....it’s not like I’m going to get an option day before my stuff rolls over. It just would’ve gotten paid out in a few weeks anyway.
Don’t rain on my parade; I’m sticking it to the man here....
Not trying to piss on your parade, but option 3 days are yours to use as you please you don't need approval(at least here). If it makes you feel better thinking that you're "sticking" it to the man(when really they are screwing you out of a day)have at it.

Not trying to piss on your parade, but option 3 days are yours to use as you please you don't need approval(at least here). If it makes you feel better thinking that you're "sticking" it to the man(when really they are screwing you out of a day)have at it.
Yeah we have to request options 7 days in advance. If I tried to take an arbitrary option day before February I would just get laughed at. All the high seniority guys have Jan 15-31st plugged up.

Serious question....

You need an entire day off, for a DOT physical ?
Thats not for me to decide. Just the precedent that’s already been set around here. When guys have to go get it done, they get tapped on the shoulder and told “you get the day off today to go get your physical.” Just how it’s always been handled here

That's just *, they're your days. So by "request" they can deny you?
Yep. I think it’s 10 percent per day, so if there’s 8-9 drivers with higher seniority on the calendar for a day off then it’s not even worth it to try. But we can bump lower seniority guys off of their request.

Last edited by a moderator:

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
pretty bad if you have to do this to get a day off. I used to go to the lab a couple hours before my SW and then go to work.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Thats not for me to decide. Just the precedent that’s already been set around here. When guys have to go get it done, they get tapped on the shoulder and told “you get the day off today to go get your physical.” Just how it’s always been handled here

Hmm.

That doesn't set a precedence.... it's just the way it's done.... there.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
pretty bad if you have to do this to get a day off. I used to go to the lab a couple hours before my SW and then go to work.

Could be a location thing.

The company can schedule a DOT physical as early as 7:00am here.

But.... it's a major city. Smaller locations are probably different.

Hmm.

That doesn't set a precedence.... it's just the way it's done.... there.
51796777-2FFA-4AB9-82D4-4D58D37920F1.png
In my building, there is a precedent set for this. They have guys take the day off to go get it done.
So yes, there is a precedent set for this, in my building.

Johney

Yep. I think it’s 10 percent per day, so if there’s 8-9 drivers with higher seniority on the calendar for a day off then it’s not even worth it to try. But we can bump lower seniority guys off of their request.
So lower seniority guys may never get a day they want or need? That wouldn't fly around here. We just tell them I need such and such day off if you have days available they have to give it to you. Christ even here people are still able to use the days they were paid off for in early Dec.before the end of the year and many did on Dec. 26th.

So lower seniority guys may never get a day they want or need? That wouldn't fly around here. We just tell them I need such and such day off if you have days available they have to give it to you. Christ even here people are still able to use the days they were paid off for in early Dec.before the end of the year and many did on Dec. 26th.
It sucks being low seniority around here. Mar-June and Sept-November its pretty easy to go request and get an option day. Any other time, good luck. We do get an hour sick pay accrued a week so I focus on saving my sick time for when I really need that random day off.