Advice for a newbie!

Knight

I was a seasonal driver helper in December, and I enjoyed it a lot. I was getting paid to exercise and getting to deliver packages to cool people, like an astronaut!

After that job ended, I filled out a second online application for a part time job as a package handler. My 60 to 90 minute tour for that job is tonight at 10:30 PM, and it's about an hours drive away. I'm not sure if it's right for me.

I'm interested in a full time job that's closer to home. I have an associates degree in computers and would like to know more about any computer jobs that are available at UPS as well as any jobs that would help me get my foot in the door for becoming a driver.

UPSGUY72

I was a seasonal driver helper in December, and I enjoyed it a lot. I was getting paid to exercise and getting to deliver packages to cool people, like an astronaut!

After that job ended, I filled out a second online application for a part time job as a part time package handler. My 60 to 90 minute tour for that job is tonight at 10:30 PM, and it's about an hours drive away. I'm not sure if it's right for me.

I'm interested in a full time job that's closer to home. I have an associates degree in computers and would like to know more about any computer jobs that are available at UPS as well as any jobs that would help me get my foot in the door for becoming a driver.

Not to burst your bubble but your assocates degree in computer isn't going to get your a computer job at UPS. As far as becoming a driver the only way your going to really get a chance is to take that package handler job if you get it. However it might be years before you get a chance to be a driver depending the area your in.

Knight

Not to burst your bubble but your associates degree in computer isn't going to get your a computer job at UPS.
So, are they looking for people with bachelor's degrees?

As far as becoming a driver the only way your going to really get a chance is to take that package handler job if you get it. However it might be years before you get a chance to be a driver depending the area your in.
How are the jobs setup? Do people who work their get first pick and then if no one wants them, then they open them to the public or what? Does everyone start out as a part time package handler and work their way up?

UPSGUY72

So, are they looking for people with bachelor's degrees?

I would think that would be the case.

How are the jobs setup? Do people who work their get first pick and then if no one wants them, then they open them to the public or what? Does everyone start out as a part time package handler and work their way up?

There is a 6 to 1 hire ratio mean for every 6 inside people that become a driver they take one from outside the company. 90 percent of the drivers started out working PT at UPS. Everything is buy bid and senority. The longer you are with UPS the more senority you have and the better chance you have on getting a union hourly job you bid on.

Knight

There is a 6 to 1 hire ratio mean for every 6 inside people that become a driver they take one from outside the company. 90 percent of the drivers started out working PT at UPS. Everything is buy bid and seniority. The longer you are with UPS the more seniority you have and the better chance you have on getting a union hourly job you bid on.
What is buy bid and how does it work?

Out of all the part time jobs available, which one(s) would you choose?

themidge

Get a BS at least. I don't think you'll want to stick around making nothing for years until you go fulltime. Everything at UPS is done by seniority aka the longer you have been there the greater your opportunity for winning your bids. If UPS were handing out no education 30/hr jobs everyone would work for UPS.

Nimnim

The Nim
What is buy bid and how does it work?

Out of all the part time jobs available, which one(s) would you choose?

Bidding is for positions available. They post a signup sheep and you put your name down and they go down the list by how long people have been there, meaning the people there longest will get it before you if you both want it.

As for jobs available you're most likely going to be a loader or unloader. Loaders will load the feeders to be sent out, unloaders will unload the feeders that arrive for processing. If you're on the preload shift you may be a preloader, the people who load the package cars for the drivers. Other than that there's sorter, small sorter, pickoff, incompatables sorter, and a couple other things I've never seen someone hired into so don't worry about them yet. Sorters take what the unloader unloads and sorts them to different belts that go to the pickoffs who then sort those packages to the loaders. Small sorters will also get things from the sorters, letters small packages, which will then be sorted into bags that will then work their way to the loaders.

Any of the sorter/pickoff positions are "skilled" so you'll receive another $1/hr for doing those, so if you're good with learning numbers get hold of a packet and get tested. They tend not to bid for those positions as much and just take people who are qualified, but it also depends on the staffing so don't hope on that.

Nimnim

The Nim
Also on the concern about the travel distance, you can always talk to the HR people and see if there might be an opening in a location closer to you. Kinda get used to it though, I'm on the road about 50 minutes each way because I carpool people.