After my 2nd day of preloading I..really need tips.

W

What The Hawk?

What does it mean when you load a truck then get a piece of paper telling you to remove boxes from but the truck? A driver saw me struggling with that she came back to help me out then told me she was impressed by my truck. I try guys, I try! Lol

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What does it mean when you load a truck then get a piece of paper telling you to remove boxes from but the truck? A driver saw me struggling with that she came back to help me out then told me she was impressed by my truck. I try guys, I try! Lol

You did nothing wrong. The piece of paper is called an add/cut which is used to either move work from your car or add work to it.

W

What The Hawk?

I have another question. How long is the probation period for a new hire? Is it 30, 70 or 90 working days?

I have another question. How long is the probation period for a new hire? Is it 30, 70 or 90 working days?
30 working days in a 90 (not sure if it is working or calendar) days. For the most part a s long as you show up everyday ready to work and make an effort UPS will keep you. They will find a spot where you can succeed. May not be loading, could be bagging or sorting smalls. Just don't quit or get hurt. Unless you would rather have an easier job making more money. Any weekly bonus for showing up on time everyday? My building pays $80/wk. bonus.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
@HawkReich :
Western Region Supplement, page 183: Article 4 Section 1(c) PROBATIONARY PERIOD (PART-TIME)
"A new part-time employee shall attain seniority when he/she has worked seventy (70) days within a six (6) consecutive month period."

Look it up for yourself.

W

What The Hawk?

Well :censored2: I'll be done by the end of the year. Got to make it through peak season but I suppose that's the real test to see if you're worth keeping or not. Thanks guys.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
Well :censored2: I'll be done by the end of the year. Got to make it through peak season but I suppose that's the real test to see if you're worth keeping or not. Thanks guys.
If you want to stay I'm sure they'll keep you. I started as a peak hire back in 97 and was thinking the same thing, that I'd be let go after peak. So many people quit in the first and second week that it seems UPS is just happy to have anyone once it's over lol.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Ummm...no you won't be finished with your probation period until next year. From October 15th to January 15th....any days you work during that time do not count towards your seniority.

W

What The Hawk?

Ummm...no you won't be finished with your probation period until next year. From October 15th to January 15th....any days you work during that time do not count towards your seniority.
I was hired as a permanent employee. You're probably right though. I've never been good with math. Lol

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I was hired as a permanent employee. You're probably right though. I've never been good with math. Lol
It doesn't matter what HR told you. The free period is October 15th to January 15th. If you don't hit your 70 days before it begins, you will not gain seniority (make book) until next year.

W

What The Hawk?

I loaded a bulk stop to the RDR because there was only one box going there and the driver told me he wanted it up front. He usually moves it to the rear. Grr. :confused: How am I supposed to know which ones he wants to go back there?

Teospal

Crap. I got people telling me to move it to the back and others saying not to.

When in doubt, load according to the PAL.

If you load according to the PAL the drivers really can't say crap and you can't get in trouble for anything. What are they gonna do? Write you up for not loading incorrectly? Union would probably have a field day if someone tried that.

Don't worry too much about custom loading until you work a pull for a while and get some experience. You don't even really have to custom load if you don't want to. I only do it when it makes my life easier as well as the driver's. Even then it's usually only shifting around floor stuff to make room under overloaded shelves (for instance, one of my trucks always has a ton of 8000s so I move my FL4 to FL3 and use the FL4 section for extra 8000s).