After Peak Lay-offs?

over9five

Staff member
FNN has it that after Peak lay-offs are going to be much larger than previous lay-offs. This year we lost 10 Feeder drivers bumped down, they're all back now but I hear it will be a bigger bump down after Peak.

Post your rumors and/or projections here!

brownrodster

Our January is usually insanely busy. This year we didn't have big layoffs until february. I ran my peak route during most of January this year.

TheDick

Feb Mar and some of April are the weird up/down months around here. Great part about my bldg is only 3 feeder jobs come out of my center ,and they have some seniority so only one might bumpback into pkg.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
January is always busy every year. It is definitely slow on the holiday week but after, people start using their gift cards and UPS centers are usually running full routes til Feb. THEN you can begin your after peak layoff thread.

over9five

Staff member
But with over 10% unemployed in the country, Don't you guys think there'll be a minimum 10% less packages? 10% less return packages after Peak? 10% less gift cards to purchase stuff after Peak?

When I think of Peak, I think of all those extra Feeder runs we put in to Bangor, Me just to bring back trailers full of Christmas wreaths. But now, will those 10% unemployed waste what little money they have on a Christmas wreath?
Will 10% fewer buying wreaths result in 10% fewer Bangor jobs?

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
We will all go to a 4 hr day,it's called ""spreading the wealth " my president is going to fix everything !! Don't worry about the wreaths, they will soon be illegal to hang on your door for fear of offending someone. So those Bangah jobs will be gone. Over,,you are now on Pelosi & Obamahs list...you used the word Christmas......shame on you sir..:sad-very:

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
With higher unemployment now than this time last year = less wallets with cash but the flipside is with cheaper energy prices now than this time last year = wallets that have cash have a little more than they did a year ago. Too hard to call. Any more I don't pay much attention to the rumors. What ever will be will be. I can't control how the cards fall just have to play the hand I'm delt. :whiteflag:

over9five

Staff member
With higher unemployment now than this time last year = less wallets with cash but the flipside is with cheaper energy prices now than this time last year = wallets that have cash have a little more than they did a year ago. Too hard to call. Any more I don't pay much attention to the rumors. What ever will be will be. I can't control how the cards fall just have to play the hand I'm delt. :whiteflag:

Good points. I'm just wondering what hand I will be dealt Dec 26.....

browniehound

Our January is usually insanely busy. This year we didn't have big layoffs until february. I ran my peak route during most of January this year.

Brownrodster, I must agree that January is a "mini peak". After the first week its crazy! Last year somewhere around January 7th my route was dispacthed with 173 stops. Its a heavy business route in which i have about 25 stops done by 1230. The rest is house calls. I would never think that there was 150 houses on my route, never mind getting 173 stops! Now, with LL Bean this year, my peak day might be around 190 in Jan.

So, Over, I don't think anything will happen until Febuary. I fear getting bumped, but at least my body is still used to package and I'll find another route or go into the building. I really feel for the feeder guys that haven't touched a package in years and are now suddenly thrown back into the mix.

Its going to be physically painfull and I know you are well aware of that.

On the bright side, unemployement has peaked because of Obama and we're headed back to the 4.5% we enjoyed during the majority of Bush's years, right?

tieguy

Banned
We will all go to a 4 hr day,it's called ""spreading the wealth " my president is going to fix everything !! Don't worry about the wreaths, they will soon be illegal to hang on your door for fear of offending someone. So those Bangah jobs will be gone. Over,,you are now on Pelosi & Obamahs list...you used the word Christmas......shame on you sir..:sad-very:

amen brother. The great O is fixin to have a meetin in december to fix those jobs.

He will then lay out a year long agenda of townhall meetings he will have to fix the jobs issue.

In late november of next year unemployment will drop to 9.2 percent with all the extra temporary jobs created at christmas. The great O will then proclaim his jobs program a success.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
And I'm looking forward to bumping into Package. Really miss those lonely housewives.

Come inside buddy. :happy-very:

You might miss the housewives , but will you miss the "ovah, volume is down, you have the option of taking out 180 stops or take the day off!" schpeil. :sick:

PS I hear rumours major overhaul in one of the centers come bid time...lots of guys bidding out and into 22.3 also...

cino321

We all thought were going to have layoff's in my local last year, yet no one got laid off. In fact, I saw plenty of helpers get rehired inside part time.

In my opinion, I don't think this year will be worse than last year.

jaded1

counting the days til 80
So we can expect more PCM's about how low the volume is and how we need to get sales leads, cut down on idling and wear threadbare uniforms. All the while I am getting home to my wife at 8pm after yet another 11 hour day. Same old, same old.

In Ohio all of feeders will be dispatched out of Columbus which means alot of sups and managers are going to be let go or reasigned in the next year. Just wait the best is yet to come.

over9five

Staff member
Come inside buddy. :happy-very:

You might miss the housewives , but will you miss the "ovah, volume is down, you have the option of taking out 180 stops or take the day off!" schpeil. :sick:

PS I hear rumours major overhaul in one of the centers come bid time...lots of guys bidding out and into 22.3 also...

Well, that has me curious. Which center and what overhaul?????

over9five

Staff member
I keep thinking the same thing! Such a fantasy...you know well enough to stay in feeders, right Over? Just think how bad your body will feel! Is it worth it?, LOL!

I was so close to being sent back last time. If the rumor is true and more will go back after Peak, I will be going like it or not.