AIM - Aiming Into Management

PSP

Ever since I started this process, I have seemingly had hell to pay from other fellow couriers. A few support me, and understand that I have a relevant degree to the Logistical field. Others have down right shaded me the whole way through, possibly since I am young guy. (In mid 20's). I have some sneaking suspicions, but anyone at Browncafe care to add to why there is so much hate towards a courier looking to better themselves with a career that won't destroy their body physically? (okay maybe mentally, lol)

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Ever since I started this process, I have seemingly had hell to pay from other fellow couriers. A few support me, and understand that I have a relevant degree to the Logistical field. Others have down right shaded me the whole way through, possibly since I am young guy. (In mid 20's). I have some sneaking suspicions, but anyone at Browncafe care to add to why there is so much hate towards a courier looking to better themselves with a career that won't destroy their body physically? (okay maybe mentally, lol)
How long have you been at Express?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Haters gonna hate.
Losers gonna be jealous.
If you are an achiever in life, you're always going to have this type of jealousy being expressed.

BootsOnTarmac

The AIM process is done on your own time (not shown on timecard) using company resources. Don't involve any of your fellow employees in communications about your desire to move up. Go through the process quietly, become eligible for advancement and bid on the positions available, most likely at another station or RSO or Hub. Hopefully you have a decent Manager who will guide you through this process as required. If you let fellow couriers bother you about advancing in life, you may not be management material.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Because typically there is a transformation that takes place. Your metamorphosis, if the company is successful at it, will change you into an A-hole who only wants to preserve his own hide, at the expense of others. Pray that you will be one of the few exceptions.

bacha29

Because typically there is a transformation that takes place. Your metamorphosis, if the company is successful at it, will change you into an A-hole who only wants to preserve his own hide, at the expense of others. Pray that you will be one of the few exceptions.
I couldn't agree more. I'm quite sure that over our lives we have encountered countless individuals who believed that manual labor was something they considered beneath them along with the people who did that work They were not interested in maximizing their abilities freely accepting responsibility and blame but rather they were simply out there writing checks their egos couldn't cash. The best man I ever worked for was a former combat wounded ( Market Garden) World War II 101ST Airborne paratrooper who treated his subordinates with the highest respect. Competition for the opportunity just to work for the man was extremely intense. I was one of the fortunate few who had the opportunity and the pleasure. It was by far the finest workplace experience I've ever known.

PSP

Hey, I totally understand where you guys are coming from. I've had an :censored2: of a Senior Mgr demean me many times who ended up transferring (go figures), and other stories just like everyone else had with their ops Mgr. I don't believe a salary puts me above any man. I asked this question on here because I find it interesting to see other courier perspectives outside of my station since it's pretty much "friend* management" here at ours. Having thick skin is a must, but I joined for more reasons than just a pay grade. I was involved in local politics (literally running) and I wanted to make a difference by getting young kids involved in local city politics. Now I am here, looking at the possibilities of a future at FedEx, and I just want to make a positive difference possibly mentoring at least one person to better themselves and beyond wherever I end up. Playing the numbers game can get ugly, but I know somewhere I can make a difference. Even in a corporation with such time critical operations.

dezguy

Why would you even care what other employees think. Life is way too short to worry about what other people think of you. Live your life.

bacha29

Hey, I totally understand where you guys are coming from. I've had an :censored2: of a Senior Mgr demean me many times who ended up transferring (go figures), and other stories just like everyone else had with their ops Mgr. I don't believe a salary puts me above any man. I asked this question on here because I find it interesting to see other courier perspectives outside of my station since it's pretty much "friend* management" here at ours. Having thick skin is a must, but I joined for more reasons than just a pay grade. I was involved in local politics (literally running) and I wanted to make a difference by getting young kids involved in local city politics. Now I am here, looking at the possibilities of a future at FedEx, and I just want to make a positive difference possibly mentoring at least one person to better themselves and beyond wherever I end up. Playing the numbers game can get ugly, but I know somewhere I can make a difference. Even in a corporation with such time critical operations.
By the looks of things you've already made a number of visits to the Fedex Mind Control and Reeducation Academy. We just dreaded it when our station managers went there. It took us at least a month get them back to reality especially after they've been water boarded.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

The transformation that takes place is from being someone who only has to worry about himself to someone who is responsible for 20+ employees, each of whom only cares about himself. To some, this is a sin.

59 Dano

I couldn't agree more. I'm quite sure that over our lives we have encountered countless individuals who believed that manual labor was something they considered beneath them along with the people who did that work They were not interested in maximizing their abilities freely accepting responsibility and blame but rather they were simply out there writing checks their egos couldn't cash. The best man I ever worked for was a former combat wounded ( Market Garden) World War II 101ST Airborne paratrooper who treated his subordinates with the highest respect. Competition for the opportunity just to work for the man was extremely intense. I was one of the fortunate few who had the opportunity and the pleasure. It was by far the finest workplace experience I've ever known.

My God.

bacha29

The transformation that takes place is from being someone who only has to worry about himself to someone who is responsible for 20+ employees, each of whom only cares about himself. To some, this is a sin.
But that's the entire problem today. Too many of them want the stature, the title, the pay the perks that go with it but shy away from having to actually BE responsible for those 20 people especially if it in any way shape or form could impede their upward progression.

59 Dano

I asked this question on here because I find it interesting to see other courier perspectives outside of my station since it's pretty much "friend* management" here at ours.

Wait'll you manage a group of people with that attitude!

Playing the numbers game can get ugly, but I know somewhere I can make a difference. Even in a corporation with such time critical operations.

You'll make a difference if you're dealing with decent people. Some are always going to give an honest effort and some are incorrigible. Don't waste your time on the latter, and use the former to help you with all those who are in between.

59 Dano

But that's the entire problem today. Too many of them want the stature, the title, the pay the perks that go with it but shy away from having to actually BE responsible for those 20 people especially if it in any way shape or form could impede their upward progression.

Says who?