Air driver called in sick

off spa

Hey guys, had a A.M. air driver call in sick. Nobody was at the center this early in the morning. Center manager calls in a 22.3 guy to go get the air. The 22.3 normal job is to preload and porter the building. Should the center manager have went down the qualified air driver list to call someone to do the air run instead of calling a 22.3 person? Thanks

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I walked in to work Wednesday morning and was immediately asked if I wanted to start early and run off an EAM. It had already been scanned and was in the DIAD set up for a signature. I didn't even have time to change my jacket. The stop was 5 minutes away and was actually delivered late but because it had been scanned before the commit it was shown as delivered on time. So much for the NDA DIAD training. It was the easiest 45 minutes I have ever worked.

I just re-read the OP a bit closer----seems the air driver who called in sick was the one who went to the airport. Not everyone can just go to the airport---you have to be "airport qualified" now, with a background check and clearance. I am guessing the 22.3 who was called in was "airport qualified".

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I walked in to work Wednesday morning and was immediately asked if I wanted to start early and run off an EAM. It had already been scanned and was in the DIAD set up for a signature. I didn't even have time to change my jacket. The stop was 5 minutes away and was actually delivered late but because it had been scanned before the commit it was shown as delivered on time. So much for the NDA DIAD training. It was the easiest 45 minutes I have ever worked.

I just re-read the OP a bit closer----seems the air driver who called in sick was the one who went to the airport. Not everyone can just go to the airport---you have to be "airport qualified" now, with a background check and clearance. I am guessing the 22.3 who was called in was "airport qualified".

What you and your management team did was dishonest, fraud and theft.
You know it, they know it, and we know it.
I don't think they picked you for this "sortie mission" by chance, rather management knew they had the right man for the "job".
It should be pretty easy for the corporate LP people to trace if someone were to call the Ethics Hotline, since we know who you are and where you work.
As a Teamster I wouldn't do it, as it would bring reproach on another Teamster.
I wouldn't be sure that one of the scores of people you have crapped on from this site wouldn't though?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I worked as directed. I knew full well that the package was late but at that point my concern was getting the package delivered. My name was not in the DIAD. The customer thanked me for delivering their package as they really needed it, never questioning why I was late.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I worked as directed. I knew full well that the package was late but at that point my concern was getting the package delivered. My name was not in the DIAD. The customer thanked me for delivering their package as they really needed it, never questioning why I was late.

Who's name w as in the board?
This story just gets worse as it goes along?

Ouch

If you would have done that by yourself, they would have fired you for being dishonest. If your name and info are in the board there is a chance you could get fired for doing it. If you're going to wait for management to say they did it and gave you the board I hope you have alot if time. Rules are rules and should be enforced to every employee not just hourly's.

Inthegame

What you and your management team did was dishonest, fraud and theft.
You know it, they know it, and we know it.
I don't think they picked you for this "sortie mission" by chance, rather management knew they had the right man for the "job".
It should be pretty easy for the corporate LP people to trace if someone were to call the Ethics Hotline, since we know who you are and where you work.
As a Teamster I wouldn't do it, as it would bring reproach on another Teamster.
I wouldn't be sure that one of the scores of people you have crapped on from this site wouldn't though?

Bubble is dead on, however "working as directed" will alleviate Upstate from any discipline from UPS at any level. Ethics only count when it's union employees acting without management instruction, and rarely if ever applied to management in their supreme goal of fudging numbers.

Nimnim

The Nim
The only thing I have to add is "Present, qualified, and available."

That line is both used by management and union to their preference. The hourly that may be involved won't suffer any disciplinary action that could have any hopes of sticking. May end up a bad day or two, but at that time it's a pissing match between local management, upper management and the union.

Last edited:

off spa

There was nobody present as the center was closed at 2:45 a.m. The only person in the building was a supervisor doing the dispatch plan for the day.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

You do not have to work as directed when dishonesty or safety is involved. As much as u want to feel you were right this can easily end up with you fired. There's not a thing your management team could do about it either. The call would come from LP. Doesn't matter if your management team stood up for you or not. They would just be fired also. Do u like your job? If so why play with fire?

Brownslave688

Bubble is dead on, however "working as directed" will alleviate Upstate from any discipline from UPS at any level. Ethics only count when it's union employees acting without management instruction, and rarely if ever applied to management in their supreme goal of fudging numbers.

You are wrong on this.

1) upstates management team would never admitt to telling him to do this.

2) it's clearly in the contract that we do not have to work as directed if dishonesty is involved.

If someone wanted him gone over this he would be fired and him or his management team could do nothing about it.

Inthegame

You are wrong on this.

2) it's clearly in the contract that we do not have to work as directed if dishonesty is involved.

If someone wanted him gone over this he would be fired and him or his management team could do nothing about it.
In the world of UPS, dishonesty gets defined by management. In this case, Upstate punches in, gets handed a diad with an EAM already scanned (likely before his punch in) and follows the management instruction to run it off. If any management weasel tried to fire him for that, a monkey could win the grievance that he would be entitled to file, even if amnesia set in (as is normally the case when bosses friend'up).
My point wasn't that Upstate acted properly (which I believe he did), it was merely to illustrate the double standard applied to hourlies vs management. When you do it without direction, it's dishonesty. When they instruct you to do the same thing, it's servicing the customers.

Brownslave688

In the world of UPS, dishonesty gets defined by management. In this case, Upstate punches in, gets handed a diad with an EAM already scanned (likely before his punch in) and follows the management instruction to run it off. If any management weasel tried to fire him for that, a monkey could win the grievance that he would be entitled to file, even if amnesia set in (as is normally the case when bosses friend'up).
My point wasn't that Upstate acted properly (which I believe he did), it was merely to illustrate the double standard applied to hourlies vs management. When you do it without direction, it's dishonesty. When they instruct you to do the same thing, it's servicing the customers.

This firing wouldn't come from management as your thinking. It would come from LP. They have people watching this and flagging stops like upstate. All involved would go down if they pushed it. If this were a new employee u might win the hearing. A 20+ year driver that just took training over this very thing. I can tell u right now my BA would say what the hell were u thinking? Go beg for your job back and hope because u messed this one up.

Also your failing to realize if the customer calls it in as late there isn't anything his local management team could do. Your thinking locally. Think corporate.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You are wrong on this.

So I just walked in, grabbed a DIAD, didn't bother putting my name and ID in it, went to the air car, picked up the EAM and ran it off all on my own?

Brownslave688

So I just walked in, grabbed a DIAD, didn't bother putting my name and ID in it, went to the air car, picked up the EAM and ran it off all on my own?

The point isn't whether or not u were instructed to do this. The point is you KNOWINGLY falsified records. Management askes me to falsify records all the time I simply tell them to find someone else to do it.

What I have a problem with is a new driver reading this thread and thinking its ok to falsify records. It's not. Never under any circumstances is it the right thing to do.

Nothing will likely ever come of this but to say nothing COULD come of this is ignorant at best.