Air driver called in sick

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I just wonder how Dave's BOG team justified the extra 45 minutes he worked. Who's name was in the DIAD and who took the car out? What if he had been in an accident?

Someday, Dave is going to show up on someone's radar, and he may not make his thirty years.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I just wonder how Dave's BOG team justified the extra 45 minutes he worked. Who's name was in the DIAD and who took the car out? What if he had been in an accident?

Someday, Dave is going to show up on someone's radar, and he may not make his thirty years.

Dave will be just fine---thanks for the concern.

Inthegame

Hey guys, had a A.M. air driver call in sick. Nobody was at the center this early in the morning. Center manager calls in a 22.3 guy to go get the air. The 22.3 normal job is to preload and porter the building. Should the center manager have went down the qualified air driver list to call someone to do the air run instead of calling a 22.3 person? Thanks
Yes, they should have called the next seniority air driver but time constraints probably prevented the center manager from following proper protocol...at least that's what you'll hear at the grievance hearing.

Ouch

Only employees who are airport qualified can go get the air----this limits the flexibility the center manager had when getting someone to fill in.

Guarantee you if thats was here if I was an air driver or a driver as I am with more seniority than the person who came in, I could file on it and get paid for the work you did while I was drinking my coffee. Thats why we have a seniority list and a contract that protects our seniority. Your right you dont owe anyone an explanation except the people your trying to explain to as to why you got fired for del an early am late that didnt show late on a report.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Yes, they should have called the next seniority air driver but time constraints probably prevented the center manager from following proper protocol...at least that's what you'll hear at the grievance hearing.

Don't forget about the claim that "at least we didn't use a supervisor".

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
OP Yes they should have called the air driver list. If you are on it file for the time.

Dave,

Just because your told to do something by management does not mean you have to do it. If if is Unsafe, immoral or illegal you have the right to refuse the direct orders of any management person. I for one would have never done what you did. The problem is people that do what you do make it easy for management to disregard the rules whenever they want. This is just an example! You always talk about how your the almighty "service to the customer first" guy. Well which customer got the best of UPS Service in that example? Answer, neither. Shipper got lied to about the package being on time therefore robbed of their refund. Consignee got the package late but still have to pay the overpriced early AM fee that they did not actually receive. If I was the consignee I would be pissed!! Good job Dave!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There was no moral dilemma on my part. I was asked to start early and run off an EAM. I even offered to drive my own car to save time. Mgt bending the rules is not my concern.

Ouch

Hey upstate. Let me clarify myself here on the statements I made. Im not saying anything you did was morally wrong. My concern would be management not sticking up for you when your asked why the early am was delivered late and doesnt show late in the board. When it comes down to it it will be your job or the managers job. Who do you think they will fire? Ive personally seen 2 drivers fired over very similar situations, they were not early am but regular next day air. Like another posted stated it will not be management that fires you but LP would be doing the dirty work. You volunteered to drive your own car??????? Do you realize what ups would have done if you would have had a wreck? Best of luck to ya.

kingOFchester

Dave will be just fine---thanks for the concern.

No concern from me.

My previous center manager with years as a driver, then through other aspects of supervising various shifts, then years as an on road pretty much said the same thing to other center manager's shortly before getting canned. Also taking several Sups to the pavement with him.

Call me over cautious, but I would not be playing these games. I know very few people, if any, that would be willing to get fired to save someone else. Your local management team may say "its ok, I will cover you". But I would not gamble a 80k-100k a year job plus benefits on anyone at UPS.

kingOFchester

I worked as directed. I knew full well that the package was late but at that point my concern was getting the package delivered. My name was not in the DIAD. The customer thanked me for delivering their package as they really needed it, never questioning why I was late.

You know, the more I read the dribbles being spewed by this joker, the more I scratch my head and think WTF??

This is the same cat that gave me, and others, a hard time for NOT putting duplicate stop for a second package found later in the day. Stating that this was falsifying time cards. HERE IT IS "
UpstateNYUPSer said:
Today I had a pkg for Walmart that I couldn't find. I found it when I delivered Sam's Club. I sheeted it as dup stop when I went back to Walmart, which was less than 10 minutes after the first delivery. Had I sheeted it as an additional stop my mgt team would have a solid case against me for padding stops.

hahahah, so falsifying timecard, not once but twice is not grounds for cheating??

Now this Jackbutt says he, 1) Delivered an air late that was scanned into the DIAD before commit (more over, after taking Diad training stating that this is not allowed). 2) Falsified a timecard by not putting his information into the DIAD. 3) Offered to use his car to deliver the package.

What a tool!!

Last edited:

kingOFchester

Guarantee you if thats was here if I was an air driver or a driver as I am with more seniority than the person who came in, I could file on it and get paid for the work you did while I was drinking my coffee. Thats why we have a seniority list and a contract that protects our seniority. Your right you dont owe anyone an explanation except the people your trying to explain to as to why you got fired for del an early am late that didnt show late on a report.

Could you imagine, someone files a grievance for Dave working?? No timecard, but the air was sheeted before it left building with another name. And how did they pay Dave for the 45? Only way would be to add some type of "other work". His center would be turned upside down!!

And some wonder why we hate some of the things going on behind the brown curtain. Crap like this is what makes us hate some of the people we work with/for.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Thanks for hijacking my thread everybody. I'm talking about a air driver calling in sick, not running off an EAM and dishonesty.
Welcome to The Brown Cafe!
this happens quite a often here. Someone such as yourself will post a question asking for help and pretty soon the Resident Forum Troll **coff** Upstate**coff** will make the thread about himself. He'll post something aboutwhwat he did or thinks( dosent matter if it's relevant to the OP or not) and then the same 5 or 6 posters will just fall all over themselves,practically wetting their pants in their excitement to challenge and insult him. The Resident Forum Troll is happy because the next 15 posts will be about him,as he then takes the stance that butter wouldn't melt in his mouth. <yawn> this forum LOVES the trolls