Alcohol

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
...So I went to get tested and my B.A.C was barley at the state limit. So I get discharged at the same time they mean terminated. Mind you I had a drink 9 hours before I went to work.
You had more than one fills of that barley water for sure. Good thing you didn't kill anyone. Good bye!

Buzzed truck driving kills:
kpmjw8-coblelrg.jpg

Trucker Clock

It was. They suspended me not terminated and recommended the SATA program

Is this story #3 now?

If you really blew a 0.008, UPS has no authority to do anything to you. A 0.008 is almost zero. You need to blow at least a 0.02 for any kind of discipline.

And, if you remember, your original post stated that you blew barley at the state limit. I took this to mean that you were slightly under 0.08.

So I went to get tested and my B.A.C was barley at the state limit.

Whatever you say it was, it needs to be at least 0.02 for UPS to be able to do anything to you. Anything less, and you continue your day.

Article 35
Section 4.11

Discipline It is agreed that an employee will have rehabilitation opportunities for alcohol abuse as outlined in Article 16, Section 5, except as provided under Random Testing below.

Reasonable Cause Testing An employee who is tested for reasonable cause and whose alcohol level is 0.02 to 0.039 will be taken out of service for twenty-four (24) hours and receive a warning letter.

An employee who is tested for reasonable cause and whose alcohol level is 0.040 to 0.069 will be taken out of service for twenty-four (24) hours, referred to a Substance Abuse Professional (SAP) and suspended for ten (10) days. If the employee has committed a disciplinary offense under the terms of the supplemental agreement, the results of the test may be used in the support of the Employer’s disciplinary action.

A second positive test of 0.02 or above is a dischargeable offense.

A positive test of 0.070 or above is a dischargeable offense.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Did you eat something, brush your teeth? Shouldnt have registered at all from 9 hrs before, unless you were really hammered and the liver couldnt keep up.

Trucker Clock

Did you eat something, brush your teeth? Shouldnt have registered at all from 9 hrs before, unless you were really hammered and the liver couldnt keep up.

If he pounded 6 double shots before going to bed, he could still blow more than a 0.02 in the morning, 9 hours later.

But, if he pounded 6 double shots on a worknight, he needs to get some help anyway. Maybe getting him into the program is good for him.

Yep. The standard is 1.5 oz of 40 proof. That is one shot of alcohol. Your liver can usually process this in about an hour.

Any more than this, it will take longer to process. His idea of a shot could be 3 or 4 oz.
And alcohol content makes a big difference
If I have a shot during the week it's usually orange Jameson it's only 70 proof
But on the weekend I have seen at Terry Bradshaw bourbon and that's 103.8 proof

Trucker Clock

And alcohol content makes a big difference
If I have a shot during the week it's usually orange Jameson it's only 70 proof
But on the weekend I have seen at Terry Bradshaw bourbon and that's 103.8 proof

Yep. Should have also said his idea of a shot could be 1.5 oz of 80 proof. Having 6 of these would take the typical liver 12 hours to process. So 9 hours later, he still has 3 shots of alcohol circulating in his bloodstream. Most likely it would be significantly more than 0.02 BAC, enough to start the disciplinary process.

Either way, it seems like the guy needs some help. I hope he gets it and I wish him well.

oldngray

nowhere special
Yep. Should have also said his idea of a shot could be 1.5 oz of 80 proof. Having 6 of these would take the typical liver 12 hours to process. So 9 hours later, he still has 3 shots of alcohol circulating in his bloodstream. Most likely it would be significantly more than 0.02 BAC, enough to start the disciplinary process.

Either way, it seems like the guy needs some help. I hope he gets it and I wish him well.
You can metabolize 1/3 to 1/2 ounce of alcohol per hour.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have to wonder if his management team was the first to notice or if one of his co-workers brought it to their attention; either way, it sounds like a potential tragedy may have been averted.

Back when I first started we had a driver (*) who came in still a little drunk from the night before----they turned him around and sent him home. This was in the early '90s----no way that would be allowed to happen today.

Last edited by a moderator:

Can't party on a work night

Trucker Clock

You can metabolize 1/3 to 1/2 ounce of alcohol per hour.

True. But then you have to start calculating how much alcohol is in a drink.

The standard is a typical beer, shot or glass of wine. One hour. If you’re drinking the high test stuff, double the time.

After a few drinks, who can figure out ABV anymore. I can still count though, after a few.

Johney

I have to wonder if his management team was the first to notice or if one of his co-workers brought it to their attention; either way, it sounds like a potential tragedy may have been averted.

Back when I first started we had a driver (Chane W) who came in still a little drunk from the night before----they turned him around and sent him home. This was in the early '90s----no way that would be allowed to happen today.
I remember TLA meetings(early 90’s)at the local pizza place with half our center there, center manager, on-roads and one time the DM and we all left there hammered and went to work the next day.