Am I an abnormally slow loader?

brazenbrown

If there not harassing you and manipulating your brain into thinking your not working fast enough then there not doing their job.They are FOCKERIZING you(like the movie).Just work at a safe steady pace.
Again, I responded to your hostile anti-management advice given to a 10 day employee. Sounds like they're trying to train a productive employee and he had some questions about it. Your immediate assumption that he was being harassed and manipulated was typical of an employee who has his own issues.:wink:

In America I have a right to disagree with certain managerial tactics as long as you work with integrity.You might see it as"you can't do your job".. I see it as a sign of weakness and vulnerabilty and allowing yourself to be taken advantage of .

I never said you can't disagree. In fact the last line of my previous post said if he was having trouble with his sup to talk with his steward.

You're actually using your own argument against yourself by trying to munipulate the expectations of a new employee by having him think all management will kick his :censored2:. What kind of integrity is that??:confused:1

We'll all glad to hear you don't have any problems,however, many other hourly employees share the same views as I concerning harassment and abuse.We all wear brown,however ,some of us don't like it on our noses.

Nice!! I guess I wear brown on my nose because I do my job. How clever! Again, I never said I don't have problems.

Your advice to Towely I found to be slanted based on your own problems which are evident by your advice to a new employee. I'm not saying there are not many issues that have to be worked out in the work place, I'm saying that as a new employee maybe Towely would have a better shot at being successful by not thinking that all management it out to get him. Sometimes it's hard to admit but there are some good management people out there and most of them work pretty hard too.

Diesel, just maybe it's time for your TLA!!:lol:

Good luck Towely

diesel96

Again, I responded to your hostile anti-management advice given to a 10 day employee. Sounds like they're trying to train a productive employee and he had some questions about it. Your immediate assumption that he was being harassed and manipulated was typical of an employee who has his own issues.:wink:

Originally Posted by Towely
I got hired 3 weeks ago. This will be my 10th day actually working on the floor as a loader and as it stands im only up to about 210 packages per hour(at the start I was at 165). Am I catching on slower than most or is this an ok pace? My supervisor keeps pushing me to go faster. Thats pretty much all I hear from him. Is he just trying to encourage me or do I really suck?
Read the post,Towely's assuming he's being harrassed and pushed,and I agree.AS a 10 day new employee he should be recognized for his improvement and not constantly being pushed to work faster.A new Employee who's being led to believe that he sucks is not being trained properly, especially at such a low starting pay rate for these part-timers who bust their butts.My advise to Towely was to work with Integrity,I would'nt consider that hostle anti-managment advice.

Brazonbrown said:
I never said you can't disagree:

Originally Posted by brazenbrown
You must be one of the problem children if you think management is manipulating and harassing all their employees, all the time. Too bad you can't just do your job.
But when someone else disagree's with certain managerial tactics you accuse them of "you can't do your job" or "your a problem child".

In fact the last line of my previous post said if he was having trouble with his sup to talk with his steward.
And the last line in my post was"just work at a safe steady pace".

You're actually using your own argument against yourself by trying to munipulate the expectations of a new employee by having him think all management will kick his :censored2:. What kind of integrity is that??:confused:1
According to original post,this new employee in his first ten days has been exposed to constant mangerial :censored2: kicking.Who's doing the manipulation here?Management objective is to hold on to new employee's,not discourage them so they quit.

Brazonbrown said:
Nice!! I guess I wear brown on my nose because I do my job. How clever! Again, I never said I don't have problems.

Brazonbrown said:
I don't get harrased or have any problems and I'm overallowed when it's called for but they don't really mess with me cause they know I'm giving 100% when I'm on the job and shi/ happens.:wink:
According to this statement you said you don't have any problems:confused:1

Your advice to Towely I found to be slanted based on your own problems which are evident by your advice to a new employee. I'm not saying there are not many issues that have to be worked out in the work place, I'm saying that as a new employee maybe Towely would have a better shot at being successful by not thinking that all management it out to get him. Sometimes it's hard to admit but there are some good management people out there and most of them work pretty hard too.
Your assumption that I have problems for advising Towely for working at a safe steady pace and that management is FOCKERIZING him his very naive.Towely has a better shot at being successful knowing he's not alone,we all have been pushed at one time or another.

Diesel, just maybe it's time for your TLA!!:lol:
Why not? As long as they pay me$$$$

tieguy

Banned
Wow another clubhouse debate on production that does towely no good.

Towley I started off as a loader many years ago. I found I did not work as hard when I worked fast. Sounds goofy but heres why.

I tried to stay ahead of the flow. When I did so I found it ran hard at times and then slowed down for awhile. When you get behind the flow you then spend more time walking up to the chute breaking jams and picking up packages that fell off the side. Therefore I ended up working harder when I got behind the flow.

When you stay ahead of the flow then you get those little breaks in between where its not running that hard. When you get behind the flow you never catch up and you end up working at maximum pace all night long.

Your sup is trying to get you up to standards. Its to your benifit to do so.

hoser

Industrial Slob
Then once towlie puts in six months, he'll learn not to get stressed out by the backed up flow because it happens every night and at UPS, hard work earns you nothing but more hard work. So he'll work slower, not just due to the sense of hopelessness and frustration, but because he realizes that there's no point working hard, he'll just be told to go pick another chute or stack another trailer. That's how I worked; first month I thought busting my ass would impress everyone, but it didn't, and I felt like another pulse that they hired to move boxes. So now I just space out and do enough to get me by. It's only in the supervisor's benefit to work 'up to standards'.

Work smart, not hard.

brazenbrown

Originally Posted by Towely
I got hired 3 weeks ago. This will be my 10th day actually working on the floor as a loader and as it stands im only up to about 210 packages per hour(at the start I was at 165). Am I catching on slower than most or is this an ok pace? My supervisor keeps pushing me to go faster. Thats pretty much all I hear from him. Is he just trying to encourage me or do I really suck?

Read the post,Towely's assuming he's being harrassed and pushed,and I agree.AS a 10 day new employee he should be recognized for his improvement and not constantly being pushed to work faster.A new Employee who's being led to believe that he sucks is not being trained properly, especially at such a low starting pay rate for these part-timers who bust their butts.My advise to Towely was to work with Integrity,I would'nt consider that hostle anti-managment advice.

The only one who is using the word harrassed is you. Pushing is not harrassing. Read it very carefully again.

In fact Towely also said this,"He doesn't really get on me in a bad way. It's not like he is harassing me but im just having a hard time figuring out if he's disappointed or just trying to encourage me to improve."

But when someone else disagree's with certain managerial tactics you accuse them of "you can't do your job" or "your a problem child".

Your purported managerial tactics (harassed) were made up, I'm sorry your job is so hard for you!!:bored:

According to original post,this new employee in his first ten days has been exposed to constant mangerial :censored2: kicking.Who's doing the manipulation here?Management objective is to hold on to new employee's,not discourage them so they quit.

Again made up jibberish!

Your assumption that I have problems for advising Towely for working at a safe steady pace and that management is FOCKERIZING him his very naive.Towely has a better shot at being successful knowing he's not alone,we all have been pushed at one time or another.

It wasn't an assumption that you said:
If there not harassing you and manipulating your brain into thinking your not working fast enough then there not doing their job.They are FOCKERIZING you(like the movie).Just work at a safe steady pace

ONE MORE TIME. I did not have a problem with your last line it was everything else that you said in that paragraph that would be discouraging epecially for a new employee!! Remember he never said he was being harassed, YOU DID!!:mad:

brazenbrown

Then once towlie puts in six months, he'll learn not to get stressed out by the backed up flow because it happens every night and at UPS, hard work earns you nothing but more hard work. So he'll work slower, not just due to the sense of hopelessness and frustration, but because he realizes that there's no point working hard, he'll just be told to go pick another chute or stack another trailer. That's how I worked; first month I thought busting my ass would impress everyone, but it didn't, and I felt like another pulse that they hired to move boxes. So now I just space out and do enough to get me by. It's only in the supervisor's benefit to work 'up to standards'.

Work smart, not hard.

What an inspiring story!!

Maybe if you had a different attitude life would be better for you!!:thumbup1:

rod

Retired 22 years
Wow another clubhouse debate on production that does towely no good.

Towley I started off as a loader many years ago. I found I did not work as hard when I worked fast. Sounds goofy but heres why.

I tried to stay ahead of the flow. When I did so I found it ran hard at times and then slowed down for awhile. When you get behind the flow you then spend more time walking up to the chute breaking jams and picking up packages that fell off the side. Therefore I ended up working harder when I got behind the flow.

When you stay ahead of the flow then you get those little breaks in between where its not running that hard. When you get behind the flow you never catch up and you end up working at maximum pace all night long.

This line of reasoning wouldn't fly at my old center. If there was even a hint of a break in the flow the preload sup would be on the belt speed control like stink on you know what. They weren't happy until they had the belt turned into a half a block long package smasher with a mountain of pkgs piled up at the end. At night it was the same thing only the mountain of packages was at the feeder end.(as the belt was in plain view of the receiving counter it was fun listening to customers comments.)

diesel96

The only one who is using the word harrassed is you. Pushing is not harrassing. Read it very carefully again.

In fact Towely also said this,"He doesn't really get on me in a bad way. It's not like he is harassing me but im just having a hard time figuring out if he's disappointed or just trying to encourage me to improve."

Pushing a new employee constantly who shows steady improvement to the point where he says "do I suck?" is harassment.He even took the time to voice his concerns for this thread.Towely just doesn't realize he's being harassed in his second post.

Brazonbrown said:
Your purported managerial tactics (harassed) were made up, I'm sorry your job is so hard for you!!:bored:
On the contrary,working safely,and smart actually makes your job easier.You should try it sometime.

Brazonbrown said:
ONE MORE TIME. I did not have a problem with your last line it was everything else that you said in that paragraph that would be discouraging epecially for a new employee!! Remember he never said he was being harassed, YOU DID!!:mad:

[Brazonbrown's quote directed towards Hoser]
What an inspiring story!! Maybe if you had a different attitude life would be better for you!!:thumbup1:

You seem to have a problem and a bad attitude with anyone who doesn't always agree with mngmt. or your bias views.Frankly,most of us could care less what you have a problem with,and you lose all credibility when you call out 20 yr veterans as "problem children"who "just can't do the job" and telling Hoser his life would be better if he had a different attitude.Get off your high horse and stop telling people how to work and to how to live their lives.

hoser

Industrial Slob
What an inspiring story!!

Maybe if you had a different attitude life would be better for you!!:thumbup1:
I'm finishing up spring semester, going away with the girlfriend for a few weeks in July, and I look forward to taking my bike for some rides in the mountains this summer. Life for me is great!

Oh, but I friend'n hate going to UPS to work every night and every time I'm there, I get this sudden urge to get wasted at home after work.

My attitude to life is a lot different than my attitude to work. I love life, which is why I hate going to work at UPS. That place sucks the soul out of me. I stand in one spot and do the exact same thing for five hours. I have a strong work ethic, but UPS has given me every reason not to apply it.

Thanks for your feedback. Your avatar is more freaky than conky from Trailer Park Boys

area43

I'm finishing up spring semester, going away with the girlfriend for a few weeks in July, and I look forward to taking my bike for some rides in the mountains this summer. Life for me is great!

Oh, but I friend'n hate going to UPS to work every night and every time I'm there, I get this sudden urge to get wasted at home after work.

My attitude to life is a lot different than my attitude to work. I love life, which is why I hate going to work at UPS. That place sucks the soul out of me. I stand in one spot and do the exact same thing for five hours. I have a strong work ethic, but UPS has given me every reason not to apply it.

Thanks for your feedback. Your avatar is more freaky than conky from Trailer Park Boys
Dude!, hose, that web pic, lmao Ill give you your props on that one. Enjoy your vacation, Im just coming off mine, you sorry ol dog. lol A43(not bingo)

Last edited:

area43

I'm finishing up spring semester, going away with the girlfriend for a few weeks in July, and I look forward to taking my bike for some rides in the mountains this summer.

Hose, one more important thing,dont forget to wear your helmet while riding that bike. Also practice those 5 seeing habits,....... SAFETY FIRST(no daredevil stuff, like," look girlfriend no hands"). Will be worried about you. ps send us(UPS) a post card when you have time. We will be waiting eagerly at our mailbox(lazy,slow mail carriers). lol again, good luck. A4(shoot, its a hit, havent sunk it yet).

Last edited:

UPS Lifer

I got hired 3 weeks ago. This will be my 10th day ... Am I catching on slower than most or is this an ok pace? My supervisor keeps pushing me to go faster. Thats pretty much all I hear from him. Is he just trying to encourage me or do I really suck?

Here is the key to your success....PLAN AHEAD. Do not double handle packages. Once you place it, go on to the next package. Remember, you are working on more than one wall at a time. There are always cornerstone, builder and filler packages you can use. When you see a difficult spot or hole keep the dimensions of the box you will need in the back of your mind. Grab the very next box load it and keep going until you find the package that will fill that hole. Continue to plan ahead and look for the right box for each area. Get into a smooth rhythm. To reach your goal of 300 pph you need to load one package every 12 seconds or 5 a minute. That is a very doable process. If you are still struggling ask your supervisor to pair you up with an employee that he/she feels is doing a good job. Probe that employee for some additional tips. Get in the feeder and work along side that person and watch what they do. Most importantly....Keep your attitude high!!!

Oh! By the way! Don't get hung up on this harrassment thing. You are a new hire! You NEED a lot of attention. If your supervisor wasn't working with you and telling you what you need to work on that would be a problem. The trainer's job is to make you successful. That person should also be giving you positive feedback on what you are doing right. I read that into your thread...you are only concerned about hitting the pph goal. You can do that!!!
There are a lot of employees that think that if they get attention they are being harrassed. Again...it all goes back to attitude.

Hope this helps!!

Last edited:

hoser

Industrial Slob
I'm finishing up spring semester, going away with the girlfriend for a few weeks in July, and I look forward to taking my bike for some rides in the mountains this summer.

Hose, one more important thing,dont forget to wear your helmet while riding that bike. Also practice those 5 seeing habits,....... SAFETY FIRST(no daredevil stuff, like," look girlfriend no hands"). Will be worried about you. ps send us(UPS) a post card when you have time. We will be waiting eagerly at our mailbox(lazy,slow mail carriers). lol again, good luck. A4(shoot, its a hit, havent sunk it yet).
Helmet yes, but screw the rest of what you said. I work very safely and I ride recklessly.

I ride recklessly because that's the place to break a bone. I take risks because it's fun and the damage to the body is the result of living life.
I work very safely because that's the last place to break a bone. I don't take risks because my job is boring, and taking risks will result in no reward for me and possibly some reward fo the supervisor. UPS isn't life, it's work, getting injured at work is pointless and stupid.

If I want to be restricted from riding my bike, it's because I broke a bone riding it, not from trying to climb over a pile of boxes. That's just pathetic.

hoser

Industrial Slob
Here is the key to your success....PLAN AHEAD. Do not double handle packages. Once you place it, go on to the next package. Remember, you are working on more than one wall at a time. There are always cornerstone, builder and filler packages you can use. When you see a difficult spot or hole keep the dimensions of the box you will need in the back of your mind. Grab the very next box load it and keep going until you find the package that will fill that hole. Continue to plan ahead and look for the right box for each area. Get into a smooth rhythm. To reach your goal of 300 pph you need to load one package every 12 seconds or 5 a minute. That is a very doable process. If you are still struggling ask your supervisor to pair you up with an employee that he/she feels is doing a good job. Probe that employee for some additional tips. Get in the feeder and work along side that person and watch what they do. Most importantly....Keep your attitude high!!!

Oh! By the way! Don't get hung up on this harrassment thing. You are a new hire! You NEED a lot of attention. If your supervisor wasn't working with you and telling you what you need to work on that would be a problem. The trainer's job is to make you successful. That person should also be giving you positive feedback on what you are doing right. I read that into your thread...you are only concerned about hitting the pph goal. You can do that!!!
There are a lot of employees that think that if they get attention they are being harrassed. Again...it all goes back to attitude.

Hope this helps!!
Good points: don't worry about the perfect wall, that's only when you get 1 box per minute and you want something to do. What I do is build a wall then hurl the odd sized ones above and behind the wall. Lay anything long ALONG the wall of the trailer, not INTO/ON/ALONG the wall.

Bad points: harassment is harassment, whether it's day one or day one thousand. If you feel harassed, you're likely harassed (unless saying "come on, do better than that" after you stacked a half assed wall is 'harassing') Being that you're new, don't get combative about harassment, but don't be a sitting duck. Once you got seniority and you feel comfortable enough to pro actively stand up for yourself (and you know the politics around the place), do it.

tieguy

Banned

Work smart, not hard.

You tell the guy to slow down and stay backed up all night then try to finish up your post with work smart not hard?

lost

Just do your best, I liked loading when I was an hourly once I got used to it. Yes when my load was clean I did help my neighbors, but in return when I needed help I got help too!! Everyone has a hard time when they start out and gets backed up from time to time. Don't worry too much about it. Your job is what you make it, and please DON'T become one of these I am going to do just enough to get by people. I say that because when I came to preload we had an awesome full timer, we were clean, wrapped up everyday and HAD FUN because things got done, done right we were the best in the building. PCM's were fun, my full timer bought us breakfeast, drinks and my loaders had trinkets to look forward to winning in little contests. It was FUN because he had a team work thing going and everyone helped each other if needed not just sat there and said well my area is clean, the H*** with everyone else. We have a different full timer now and things are not so well but we are working our way back to where we were. Hang in there!!!

brazenbrown

Pushing a new employee constantly who shows steady improvement to the point where he says "do I suck?" is harassment.He even took the time to voice his concerns for this thread.Towely just doesn't realize he's being harassed in his second post.

So you know better than him if he's being harrassed or not? Coaches push their teams hard all the time. There could be a communication issue, it still would not be harassment. But, lets say for the sake of argument that he was being harrassed...It still doesn't warrant your misleading assumption that all management are harassing you and manipulating you now does it???

On the contrary,working safely,and smart actually makes your job easier.You should try it sometime.

How do you know how I work? I work smart not hard and also usually have an open line of communication with management. Maybe the reason you get harrassed all the time is because of your attitude.

You seem to have a problem and a bad attitude with anyone who doesn't always agree with mngmt. or your bias views.Frankly,most of us could care less what you have a problem with,and you lose all credibility when you call out 20 yr veterans as "problem children"who "just can't do the job" and telling Hoser his life would be better if he had a different attitude.Get off your high horse and stop telling people how to work and to how to live their lives.

Who cares if you're a 20 year vet because frankly, I don't and based on your advice about management you sound like like a whinny, hide behind the union management hater!!

Look, we're wasting our time I'm done with the back and forth on this thread with you. I'll just have to agree to disagree and not make this miserable for others here.

May your career be long and distinguished!!

brazenbrown

I'm sorry UPS has been a painful experience for you so far.

I do know how much I love vacations and can totally relate. I'd rather be on vacation than be at UPS that's for damn sure.

Have a great vacation and just maybe you'll come back with a different perspective that will make your job a little easier to deal with.:thumbup1:

W

westsideworma

Just do your best, I liked loading when I was an hourly once I got used to it. Yes when my load was clean I did help my neighbors, but in return when I needed help I got help too!! Everyone has a hard time when they start out and gets backed up from time to time. Don't worry too much about it. Your job is what you make it, and please DON'T become one of these I am going to do just enough to get by people. I say that because when I came to preload we had an awesome full timer, we were clean, wrapped up everyday and HAD FUN because things got done, done right we were the best in the building. PCM's were fun, my full timer bought us breakfeast, drinks and my loaders had trinkets to look forward to winning in little contests. It was FUN because he had a team work thing going and everyone helped each other if needed not just sat there and said well my area is clean, the H*** with everyone else. We have a different full timer now and things are not so well but we are working our way back to where we were. Hang in there!!!

I want to transfer to your preload....next week (I'm on vaca right now so mine is currently better haha :wink: )

Towely

Thanks for all the pointers. Heres some clarification. Right now im doing 3 moderate trailers a day or two heavy trailers. My problem is at my pace both end up backed up about 30 minutes before break. I know thats not a bad thing but when I get backed up I slow down.

Not because I just give up or get overwhelmed. I just spend more time breaking jams. My trailer gets so swamped with packages its no longer a nice line along the belt, theres just a big CF at the end of the rollers.

At the end of the day in the one trailer we ALWAYS get these 50 pound gatoraid boxes and my stamina isn't quite up to the level it needs to be for this job which makes my load quality suffer. I can't get those bastages up any higher than 3rd tier(maybe they shouldn't go any higher though but if i start a new wall I can't always get my loadstand close enough to finish the 1st wall).

Right now im at about 210-220pph. I know I can get faster but im not sure if i'll ever hit 300pph constistantly. My supervisor made the comment today that I need to "really speed it up. You should be over 300pph for how long you've been here."

That doesn't really motivate me to move faster. His comments are most always negative or neutral(sometimes i'll get a "you did good today" after im done working, what good is it then lol). I just reply with "ok" or something similar. I never get confrontational or complain. He's got his job and i've got mine.

What he lacks in that area he makes up for in others though. He never gets on me too bad when I miss salts(which I admittedly miss too many) but encourages me to stay focused and read all the packages. He comes in the trailer A LOT to help me out and always makes sure to point out where im starting to slack off on(load quality).

The thing that motivates me the most to keep up the pace is knowing that when down time comes im gonna have to load all the packages left over anyway. And I hate always being the reason that someone else has to stay a few minutes later and do extra work to help me clean out my trailers.

If I feel that my supervisor is harassing me(which at times I have got that feeling a bit) I am not going to report it unless it gets out of hand. I'd rather just get good sooner and get him off my back than get on his bad side by reporting it.