Am I wasting my time working for UPS?

satellitedriver

More then that UPSgrunt. We get old age pension (Your kind of SS), then we get Canada Pension on top of it.
I think it currently works out to $2000 if you worked for 25 years, more for every year on the Canada Pension part, but old age pension stays the same (equal amount for every Canadian, which I think is $1000 (give or take $100), per month.
Canada pension for a normal worker should be around $1500 to $2000.
Add those 2 together, that's your total pension, plus any company/unions pensions you may receive.
Cool, you pay the govt a minimum 40% of the wage you earned over a lifetime in taxes to have it "given" back to you with no capital gain or interest.
Great plan for the slackers in Canada.
Sucks for the ones that have to foot that bill.
The old saying of "counting your chickens before the eggs are laid", comes to mind.
At least a hen has enough sense to build a nest before laying an egg.
Klein, you will have a rude awakening when you are in your 60's.

satellitedriver

I realize UPS USA is one of the best jobs out there. But in Canada, it sure isn't !
$25 an hr is not uncommen to pay here, and that's the highest pay rate UPS has to offer , without being upper management.
:(
Cool,
so why doesn't your skinny behind have a job?
If it is so common.
Dude wake up, you are tapping on 50yrs old and thinking like a 15yr old.

klein

Für Meno :)
Why, does it bother you that I can live off my savings for a few years ?
And, I have a rich pension comming in at age 60, the 65 again ?

I'll work when I need money, is that ok with you ?

code5

Oilerfan, I work in Regina and we share our middle management. Stay away! Its total fly off the seat of your pants management. They try to operate under the UPS "system", yet manipulate everything conveniently to their favour when possible.

These are much smaller centers than in the States so there is far less structure. The buck is always past down to the employees and I don't mean dollars. There is zero recognition for a job well done.

And for punching out at 9? Maybe some days, but they will want to own you. Its a floating shift, they will change your punch in time when it suits their needs and cut you early or make you stay late.

I enjoyed UPS for many years, but presently these are dark times.

klein

Für Meno :)
Cool, you pay the govt a minimum 40% of the wage you earned over a lifetime in taxes to have it "given" back to you with no capital gain or interest.
Great plan for the slackers in Canada.
Sucks for the ones that have to foot that bill.
The old saying of "counting your chickens before the eggs are laid", comes to mind.
At least a hen has enough sense to build a nest before laying an egg.
Klein, you will have a rude awakening when you are in your 60's.

First of all, don't know where you get that 40% tax info from. I posted it once on BC before, and it was a merly 1% higher then the USA.
Secondly, it's just a matter of time, that the US will need to pay some of it's debt back, and tax hikes are unavoidable.
The US has unsustainable Medicare and Social Security programs.
Just a matter of time for Americans to pay more taxes then us, and have nothing to show for it, besides a huge national debt that needs to be paid back.

My nest has already been built and paid for.
60 rude awaking ? I'll be fully retired by then !
I do know more about my finances and future finances then you do !

entensity

If "job enjoyment" is at the top of your list . . . keep walking. BTW . . . have fun landscaping when you are 60 yrs. old and have no pension, insurance, or job security.

Uh you can get your own retirement and insurance.

And to the OP, UPS is fine at part-time. Being a driver is the worst thing you can do, because it is very stupid right now (Which is why I went back part-time)

These other posters here are just poor and have to work 10+ hours a day because they hate their wifes, kids, life in general etc..

brett636

Cool,
so why doesn't your skinny behind have a job?
If it is so common.
Dude wake up, you are tapping on 50yrs old and thinking like a 15yr old.

Are you surprised? Here we have two adults who all their lives have been told by their government that they are perpetual children who are too inept to take care of their own healthcare or retirement and need government to provide these responsibilities in life to them. When you are told a lie often enough you begin to believe its true, and here are two good examples of just this principle.

Oilerfan

Hey guys,

Believe it or I ended getting a job today with Fedex.

Fedex pays $2 dollars more than UPS to do the exact same job --preloader-- but I ended up getting a courier position that pays me 18.40 to start and benefits after 3 months compared to 12 months with UPS. I probably would have had to work at UPS for 5 years to get that pay.

Suffice to say, screw UPS.

Re-Raise

Hey guys,

Fedex pays $2 dollars more than UPS to do the exact same job --preloader-- but I ended up getting a courier position that pays me 18.40 to start and benefits after 3 months compared to 12 months with UPS. I probably would have had to work at UPS for 5 years to get that pay.

Wow . What a coincidence !!!!!! Too bad we missed out on you.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Hey guys,

Good For You!!!

satellitedriver

Why, does it bother you that I can live off my savings for a few years ?
And, I have a rich pension comming in at age 60, the 65 again ?

I'll work when I need money, is that ok with you ?
I am not bothered by your situation.
Your dispensing financial wisdom does kinda get my goat.
Sure it is OK with me when you want to work, but so far you have not been able to get the jobs to which you have applied

satellitedriver

First of all, don't know where you get that 40% tax info from. I posted it once on BC before, and it was a merly 1% higher then the USA.
Secondly, it's just a matter of time, that the US will need to pay some of it's debt back, and tax hikes are unavoidable.
The US has unsustainable Medicare and Social Security programs.
Just a matter of time for Americans to pay more taxes then us, and have nothing to show for it, besides a huge national debt that needs to be paid back.

My nest has already been built and paid for.
60 rude awaking ? I'll be fully retired by then !
I do know more about my finances and future finances then you do !
I got my Canadian tax info directly from the Canadian Govt. website.
I know a little about your financial situation, not all.
Here is what I know.
You own an apartment / condo free and clear.-( good job on that one)-
You are an unemployed person at around the age of 49.
You have a life savings of less than $48k.
That is the present.
The future "finances"-( read as "pensions") you depend on are 10 to 15yrs away before you can sit in that nest.
So late in life feel free to be the Grasshopper and I will be the Ant.

You are very incorrect about the 1% tax structure difference between the USA and Canada.

All your vitriol about the sustainability of SS and Medicare mirrors your inability to financially plan-( and work)- for your own future.

Have fun and fiddle away in the Sun.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Uh you can get your own retirement and insurance.

And to the OP, UPS is fine at part-time. Being a driver is the worst thing you can do, because it is very stupid right now (Which is why I went back part-time)

These other posters here are just poor and have to work 10+ hours a day because they hate their wifes, kids, life in general etc..

I have a feeling that the decision to go back to part-time was made for you by your inability to do the job.

Yes, the driver's job has changed and there are some of us who do work 10+ hour days, but I would disagree about most of us being poor and hating our wives, kids, dogs...

menotyou

bella amicizia
If he passed his thirty days, he would have to quit to get re-hired as a PT. Don't you think UPS would give him a negative re-hire status, thus preventing him from going PT?