Amazon is going to put UPS and FedEx out of business

Days

Thatd be a shame. Won’t even think about working as an Amazon employee until they unionize, but then again they’ll probably have Alexa doing everything in 10 years and won’t even need employees

moldsporh

UPS already has everything in place.

Start a "UPS Store" and use our infrastructure to deliver the popular goods.

I cannot wrap my head around why this wasn't done 5 years ago.

Overpaid Union Thug

Huh? They already said they were wanting to re-examine or back out of the Amazon contract prior to Tump saying anything about it. They were delivering Amazon seven days a week and could handle it so I’m not sure what you’re talking about, Sunday deliveries still happens in certain cities.

Yes USPS charges less than they should but they have to because that’s part of the service they are supposed to be providing. A lot of you forget who and what usps is.

Anywho, lots of animosity on here towards the postal service. Kind of odd.
The USPS should not be delivering packages. A government entity should not ever compete with private business. And that applies whether or not they are bound by the same rules as private companies.

Overpaid Union Thug

That makes absolutely zero sense.
Only if you don’t understand English or basic math.

The post office is to the point where when someone buys a stamp or ships a package they are mainly paying for the pension and benefits of their employees. The costs of running the post office, i.e. paying employees, maintenance, etc., are not being met. It sounds bad, and I don’t care, but a government “service” should not exist primarily to provide a pension and benefits to someone. Particularly if it’s hemorrhaging money.

We are not constitutionally bound to have a post office. The Constitution says that the government has the right to have a post office. Not that they are required to have one. It needs to be shut down whether or not it is on a level playing field with private competition.

Once the ever shrinking population of baby boomers dies off (and with it most of the minority of people that still use the post office for receiving and sending money) we will end up with a government entity that’s only existence is to deliver unsolicited junk mail to people’s mailboxes and packages that were sent by severely under cutting privately owned competition. All while hemorrhaging money.

Mack37

The USPS should not be delivering packages. A government entity should not ever compete with private business. And that applies whether or not they are bound by the same rules as private companies.

The Postal service was delivering packages long before UPS was even thought of. You think they were going to say “gee whiz, guess we better stop because some guys decided to play copy cat”?

As far as the pension goes, all federal employees get it from the same place, FERS. USPS is the only government agency that actually pays into it, tax money otherwise.

Overpaid Union Thug

The Postal service was delivering packages long before UPS was even thought of. You think they were going to say “gee whiz, guess we better stop because some guys decided to play copy cat”?

As far as the pension goes, all federal employees get it from the same place, FERS. USPS is the only government agency that actually pays into it, tax money otherwise.

I don’t care if they started delivering 200 years ago or yesterday. They shouldn’t be competing with private companies ever. Especially while losing money and getting subsidies in the form of tax breaks and laws that prevent them from having to be competitive. Either way it’s not fair to private industry that doesn’t enjoy such treatment. Stop worshipping govt like a god and it will be clear to you too.

MAKAVELI

I don’t care if they started delivering 200 years ago or yesterday. They shouldn’t be competing with private companies ever. Especially while losing money and getting subsidies in the form of tax breaks and laws that prevent them from having to be competitive. Either way it’s not fair to private industry that doesn’t enjoy such treatment. Stop worshipping govt like a god and it will be clear to you too.
Private industry does just fine and wouldn't be able to absorb USPS volume.

Mack37

So what if 150 years ago the Government decided only the countries post office department could handle mail and parcels, no private companies at all. Would that be ok?

You’re suggesting that we end any handling of packages by the postal service so UPS and FedEx can essentially charge whatever they want? Or let one price war the other out of business? How very capitalistic of you. Still, isn’t going to happen as USPS brings balance to the situation.

If there are only two companies really doing it, eventually there will probably only be one doing it. Nobody is going to stand for a package monopoly.

Mack37

I think I finally get it after reading the same thing over and over: It’s greed. You all are simply just greedy.

You think UPS should control all packages in America so UPS can have a fat bottom line and keep handing out raises and nice pensions. Who cares about ending something that has been around essentially since the founding of the country and throwing hundreds of thousands of UNION workers out on their asses as long as you keep getting premier contracts. Never mind some of the other bloated Government agencies that suck up billions in tax revenue without doing a whole lot, lets go after the one that for the most part generates there own revenue because it threatens ME.

Luckily your leadership finds it more beneficial to work together as I said. Mail flying on FedEx/UPS planes, surepost, SmartPost etc.

My suggestion to you is to keep defying your union and vote straight Republican ticket every time as that is your only shot at shrinking the post office down to nothing. Just don’t be surprised when they come after you next my teamster friends.

KoennenTiger

So what if 150 years ago the Government decided only the countries post office department could handle mail and parcels, no private companies at all. Would that be ok?

You’re suggesting that we end any handling of packages by the postal service so UPS and FedEx can essentially charge whatever they want? Or let one price war the other out of business? How very capitalistic of you. Still, isn’t going to happen as USPS brings balance to the situation.

If there are only two companies really doing it, eventually there will probably only be one doing it. Nobody is going to stand for a package monopoly.

You forgot about DHL, and on track, and other even smaller outfits.

Heck free up all that government subsidized usps and let new private companies start up.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
I think I agree with your overall sentiment.....
And I'm not interested in cutting ANYBODY'S job.
But it is very ugly; that we shell out kajillions of dollars to keep the life support going.
I think they should downsize to simply letters. That's their market, there's plenty of that work to go around, there was no need to start with parcels in the first place. None. Zero. In the name of capatalism, ironically, they decided it would be a good idea to shove boxes into those go carts.
They are now doubling down on package handling, buying vehicles optimized for parcels, and thus, they won't ever be turning a profit again.

Last edited:

Mack37

You forgot about DHL, and on track, and other even smaller outfits.

Heck free up all that government subsidized usps and let new private companies start up.

Wow. You want the United States Postal Service gone but you’re ok with :censored2:ing Deutsche Post? A company that is 70% owned by the German Government. A company that UPS and FedEx have had to fight off trying to take over package business in this country before. A company that is far larger than UPS.

Unbelievable.

Overpaid Union Thug

We don’t need a post office nor should we have one. But if government worshippers still insist.....they should not have special treatment. Nor be subsidized by tax payers no matter what form the subsidy/subsidies take.

Private industry does just fine and wouldn't be able to absorb USPS volume.

Not a valid point UNLESS ALL of it went to one carrier. But even then......UPS or FedEx (or whoever else came along as a result) would adapt much quicker than the post office does with new volume.