Amazon to start pick up service

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Only thing that will stop amazon is if they were to unionize or enough people stopped using them. They have proved they will burn money until they rake it in. We were told this morning at pcm that "the" competition is coming for us. I see the company loosing lots of volume and laying people off but i dont see us going out of business. If atlanta was smart they would already be planing something to the effect of future buildings housing goods. There is no way we can match whatever amazon sets their price to.
If they were smart they'd say pay full price or we won't deliver any of your stuff anymore. Well they should of done that 5 years ago.

Now we should just refuse to deliver anything from them.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I have no idea what the actual number is but at this point I would say Amazon delivers less than 1% of their own packages.

If you look at their financials many analyst are concerned with how they categorize capital expenditures and wonder if they would have enough cash if they were to stop expanding.

Y'all need to step off the ledge. The crappy, mismanaged company we work for actually pays a living wage and is still more profitable than Amazon. If it weren't for their web services they would barely be breaking even.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Think back to DHL .
In 2004 they spent several billion dollars to expand their operations in the USA.
They had hopes to increase their share of total U.S. market revenues to 15 percent within five to seven years.
Then in 2008 , they closed a majority of their operations due to poor performances .

Anyone care to take bets on how long Amazon lasts ?
There are enough masochists out there willing to work for slave wages. Amazon will set up employee barracks for them to live in.

Before any real damage is done to UPS, our company will be on the leading edge on cloning their runners and gunners.

folks, the end is near.

35years

Gravy route
They want to take us on directly???

Come at me bro!

FU pay me.

No more discounts.

I say we partner with Alibaba and bury Amazon.
Alibaba's online sales and profits surpassed all US retailers (including Walmart, Amazon and E-bay combined) since 2015

Last edited:

SafetyFirst

Its getting close to too late. Cost wise they'll be able to beat us and that's the bottom line for a lot of shippers! Not every company that ships goods is in direct competition with amazon on the retail side.

They won't be short on technology and will likely have more qualified people implementing it than a bunch of repurposed sups from the stoneages.

35years

Gravy route
UPS just purchased 14 747s, 4 767s from Boeing, doom and gloom on here is funny.
Yep
And UPS just increased the dividend, I'll take a 10% increase. Funny how they spend so much just before a contract. And how many more stories about competitors are just around the corner?...

The UPS (NYSE: UPS) Board of Directors today declared an increased regular quarterly dividend of $0.91 per share on all outstanding Class A and Class B shares, an increase of nearly 10% over the prior dividend.

john chesney

I wonder if upper management ever lays awake at night regretting the tens of millions spent on ORION...
Hahahahhaha Everyone knows it but nobody in management would ever admit this. Whoever invented it is probably up all night laughing their ass off trying to figure out how to spend all the money we gave them.

john chesney

Yup. Everyone thinks management and the corporation and ie on and on is the enemy. Amazon is gonna take over the delivery industry. Sucks because I will have no pension after 30 plus yrs. Hopefully I lose SS to as icing on the cake
It will be because Ups management fails and they are. It won’t be because of the employees