Amazon

vantexan

So I'm applying with a couple of outfits contracted to start delivering Amazon on September 7th. At one of them the two guys working in the office both worked at UPS over 20 years. Heard one of them telling an applicant that UPS was going to lose 800,000 pkgs a day from Amazon and that of course UPS was very concerned. Big changes coming.

If anyone gets wind in your area of similar contractors, one of them here is starting at $16.50hr and after 90 days $17.50hr. I asked if pickups were involved and he said maybe someday, but for now only deliveries and almost all residential. I told him that sounded like a great job. 4 days on, 4 days off. FedEx may be losing Ground drivers to this.

So I'm applying with a couple of outfits contracted to start delivering Amazon on September 7th. At one of them the two guys working in the office both worked at UPS over 20 years. Heard one of them telling an applicant that UPS was going to lose 800,000 pkgs a day from Amazon and that of course UPS was very concerned. Big changes coming.

If anyone gets wind in your area of similar contractors, one of them here is starting at $16.50hr and after 90 days $17.50hr. I asked if pickups were involved and he said maybe someday, but for now only deliveries and almost all residential. I told him that sounded like a great job. 4 days on, 4 days off. FedEx may be losing Ground drivers to this.
Especially at that pay rate.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Wait, Wut? I may transfer to become an Amazonian driver if that's the case... OT after 8 hour or 40 hour?

How are these subcontractors paying that much? I know flex is similar in pay , but u drive your own personal vehicle with a 4 hour time period...

U back in the states, van?

vantexan

Wait, Wut? I may transfer to become an Amazonian driver if that's the case... OT after 8 hour or 40 hour?

How are these subcontractors paying that much? I know flex is similar in pay , but u drive your own personal vehicle with a 4 hour time period...

U back in the states, van?
Been back 3 weeks now. Definitely have to work while here. I think they're aiming to have no OT. Amazon has to pay UPS and FedEx enough to cover the cost of higher pay and benefits and still give them a profit. So if the Amazon contractors are paying $16.50-$17.50 with no benefits Amazon keeps more profit for itself. This could make it interesting when union contracts are up for renewal.

bacha29

If I understand you correctly you're talking about a couple of third party contractors operating solely under contract to Bezos and no one else? if it's 10 Max per day that $165-175 is something you could live with if no more than 10 hours. I hope those guys have the FLSA in mind if they are running panel vans.The challenge to the X contractors in that area will be to try to guess correctly how many assets they will need standing by for peak as well as try to figure out how many boxes Bezos will take back for his own people. At the same time however unless those Amazon contractors have an avalanche of boxes condensed into a very small easy to service close by area with good weather nearly all the time I don't think either they or the wage scale will last long. One or the other will have to go.

vantexan

If I understand you correctly you're talking about a couple of third party contractors operating solely under contract to Bezos and no one else? if it's 10 Max per day that $165-175 is something you could live with if no more than 10 hours. I hope those guys have the FLSA in mind if they are running panel vans.The challenge to the X contractors in that area will be to try to guess correctly how many assets they will need standing by for peak as well as try to figure out how many boxes Bezos will take back for his own people. At the same time however unless those Amazon contractors have an avalanche of boxes condensed into a very small easy to service close by area with good weather nearly all the time I don't think either they or the wage scale will last long. One or the other will have to go.
One of them has 600 employees operating in about half a dozen major cities. They're hiring 65 here, and figure to grow to 2000 eventually. I liked what they offering better. $140 a day, 4 days on, 4 off. Can work 5 or 6 days if preferred. Extra if you finish and go help another rt. And they're about 13 miles closer to home too. Said won't be handling heavy boxes, only small packages. And rts will run around 160 stops a day, give or take.

bacha29

One of them has 600 employees operating in about half a dozen major cities. They're hiring 65 here, and figure to grow to 2000 eventually. I liked what they offering better. $140 a day, 4 days on, 4 off. Can work 5 or 6 days if preferred. Extra if you finish and go help another rt. And they're about 13 miles closer to home too. Said won't be handling heavy boxes, only small packages. And rts will run around 160 stops a day, give or take.
It's beginning to sound like what we speculated on earlier. Bezos will take the major cities, in other words the easy stuff then dump the boonies and RD's off onto the Big 3 to haul out. They should all simply stop trying to deal with Bozo because if they let him get away with this others will try do to the same.

vantexan

It's beginning to sound like what we speculated on earlier. Bezos will take the major cities, in other words the easy stuff then dump the boonies and RD's off onto the Big 3 to haul out. They should all simply stop trying to deal with Bozo because if they let him get away with this others will try do to the same.
Only Wal-Mart could possibly do the same currently. Heavy packages are more profitable so doubt FedEx is going to turn them down. The one to worry is UPS. If the writing is on the wall the union had better accept much smaller future raises. And probably less benefits. Could be a strike soon and that can only help FedEx. 80%+ of the U.S. population live in the metro areas so only makes sense for Amazon to deliver to them themselves. If I remember right they're starting with cities that have distribution centers.

Last edited:

dmac1

I tried Amazon Fresh thinking it would be delivered by Amazon drivers directly. Instead, Amazon delivered to post office(8 blocks away) and post office delivered them here about an hour later. I live about 60 miles from the Amazon warehouse. I suppose that Amazon sent out multiple deliveries with one driver, and no way to meet time deadline, maybe even drop other Amazon deliveries so uses post office where packages can be delivered by multiple drivers. Sort of like letting USPS do final mile. Sometimes track stuff from Amazon going right past my house to city 120 miles away, then back 24-48 hours later to local post office.

bacha29

I tried Amazon Fresh thinking it would be delivered by Amazon drivers directly. Instead, Amazon delivered to post office(8 blocks away) and post office delivered them here about an hour later. I live about 60 miles from the Amazon warehouse. I suppose that Amazon sent out multiple deliveries with one driver, and no way to meet time deadline, maybe even drop other Amazon deliveries so uses post office where packages can be delivered by multiple drivers. Sort of like letting USPS do final mile. Sometimes track stuff from Amazon going right past my house to city 120 miles away, then back 24-48 hours later to local post office.
Spot on man. The United States Postal Service...... The carrier of the last resort.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag

Meh, hourly or flat rate pay? UTT maybe worth it or it's under what I am currently getting. I know a couple of HD drivers over $1k but they are packed full daily & only time will tell when they burn out.

I don't see them hiring on my local Craig's list posting s

Gone fishin

We ( express ) haven't had much amazon in a long time in our station. We were told UPS under cut us a while back to get a bigger chunk. It will have no effect on us. We get a lot more Walmart and a couple others.

Star B

White Lightening
I wish we had your problem. We still have plenty of amazon, however, we are a spread out station with tons of rural routes.

vantexan

Meh, hourly or flat rate pay? UTT maybe worth it or it's under what I am currently getting. I know a couple of HD drivers over $1k but they are packed full daily & only time will tell when they burn out.

I don't see them hiring on my local Craig's list posting s
One of them is hourly, the other flat rate. Looks like this is happening for now in metro areas with an Amazon distribution center. Not sure yet just how much I'm going to work. I do have my pension to supplement whatever I do. But really need to get some things paid off so if they let me work 6 days better do it.

newgirl

I don't know if even Walmart can keep up, I hate to say this but it's possible only the feds can stop bezos if anyone is even interested in stopping him.
This whole foods acquisition seems minor, but they are getting ready to install amazon lockers in whole foods.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
amazon needs ups and fedex and vice versa. No company can handle all the volume or growth of the internet.

bbsam

Staff member
I don't know if even Walmart can keep up, I hate to say this but it's possible only the feds can stop bezos if anyone is even interested in stopping him.
This whole foods acquisition seems minor, but they are getting ready to install amazon lockers in whole foods.
I think Fedex and UPS could stop Bezos overnight simply by repealing all discounts.