Amazon

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
And they'd lose the heavy boxes he'd throw their way. Bacha talks about rural deliveries from a contractor's perspective. Express and UPS are already delivering in the rural areas. The extra freight from Amazon would help pay for their servicing those areas.

I'm trying to figure out why Bezos is considered evil? For all their growth Amazon hasn't been that profitable yet. One of the biggest reasons is shipping costs. He has just as much right to achieve profits for his shareholders as the rest do. Wasn't so long ago that FedEx was shaking up the transportation industry. Think UPS doesn't wish FedEx had never shown up? How many businesses have been put out of business by Wal-Mart? Businesses that survived adapted. FedEx will too, but it may be a more streamlined company before this is over. The world has rapidly changed how it's doing business. Bezos was visionary enough to see online retail is the future. Brick and mortar stores still have their place, but they'll have to offer consumers something that they can't experience shopping online.
1. Amazon is helping fill our planes, making THEM more cost effective. What they pay does not make rural delivery of them profitable, at least not to the extent FedEx is trying to achieve.
2. Bezos has stated the possibility that their delivery system could take business AWAY from UPS and FedEx, making any discounts they receive in effect a subsidy. That makes him a competitor, not a partner.

vantexan

1. Amazon is helping fill our planes, making THEM more cost effective. What they pay does not make rural delivery of them profitable, at least not to the extent FedEx is trying to achieve.
2. Bezos has stated the possibility that their delivery system could take business AWAY from UPS and FedEx, making any discounts they receive in effect a subsidy. That makes him a competitor, not a partner.
For now at least they're nowhere near a service that could compete.

vantexan

Now you sound like OldFart, one scenario doesn't fit, try another.
Did a little digging. UPS airfreight daily volume is 2.7 million pkgs a day. Since Amazon sends a lot of pkgs 2 day with Prime looks like that would have a big effect on UPS if most of those 800,000 pkgs were airfreight.

bacha29

You'll just have to wait and see what Bezos does. I know that he started out with 20 leased 767's and is now up to 40. The guy's a snake and he'll try anything if he has the money. However his stock maxed out in the 1080's but now it's down around 950 and is trading at more than 230X earnings. If the hedge funds start shutting off the money then his aspirations whatever they might be might just have to be stretched out across a longer timeline.I don't think that he'll have much of an impact on peak 2017 but peak 2020 might be a different story.

Artee

You'll just have to wait and see what Bezos does. I know that he started out with 20 leased 767's and is now up to 40. The guy's a snake and he'll try anything if he has the money. However his stock maxed out in the 1080's but now it's down around 950 and is trading at more than 230X earnings. If the hedge funds start shutting off the money then his aspirations whatever they might be might just have to be stretched out across a longer timeline.I don't think that he'll have much of an impact on peak 2017 but peak 2020 might be a different story.
Not sure how truth there is in this, but one of our pilots mentioned that Amazon is also purchasing 767's. 1 plane a quarter is he heard.

Star B

White Lightening
1. Amazon is helping fill our planes, making THEM more cost effective.
Not exactly. Simply put, gotta burn gas to get the package in the air. There is a point where the ROI on the added weight of the big, bulky :censored2: that amazon gives us negates any profit that we may make. Is it OK to make a penny a package a hundred thousands times over or a dollar a package for a thousand? I'd take the dollar because... well, less thru the system, more profit.

It makes sense if there is the extra space to give and still be very profitable, but the fact is that they give us the big, bulky :censored2: that the post office won't take...... increased damages to other packages, loss of space and the extra manpower to handle it.

Another way to look at it is this.... flat letters/poly packs. You can stuff 400 of those in a doc bag and it wont' make a major dent in the weight, now take 400 boxes, avg 25lbs a piece... that's an additional 5 tons of freight that may take a AKE or three. What do you think FX would rather have? They'd take the poly packs because that's wasted space. Those AKEs could be used for moving XS/P2 vs holding it off till the next flight out.

Amazon freight is a love/hate. Love the fact that it can fill in gap drive time, hate it because it may cause long gap drive time.

Last edited:

Star B

White Lightening
Okay, so I got some technicalities wrong. It would be at *least* 3 AKEs. Possibly more depending on bulk of packages.

Have you seen how far you can deflate those Under Armor bags? So, even if we were to take my guesstimation and expand it by a factor of two.... 2-4 doc bags vs 3+ AKEs.

The principles are still the same, though.

vantexan

Not exactly. Simply put, gotta burn gas to get the package in the air. There is a point where the ROI on the added weight of the big, bulky :censored2: that amazon gives us negates any profit that we may make. Is it OK to make a penny a package a hundred thousands times over or a dollar a package for a thousand? I'd take the dollar because... well, less thru the system, more profit.

It makes sense if there is the extra space to give and still be very profitable, but the fact is that they give us the big, bulky :censored2: that the post office won't take...... increased damages to other packages, loss of space and the extra manpower to handle it.

Another way to look at it is this.... flat letters/poly packs. You can stuff 400 of those in a doc bag and it wont' make a major dent in the weight, now take 400 boxes, avg 25lbs a piece... that's an additional 5 tons of freight that may take a AKE or three. What do you think FX would rather have? They'd take the poly packs because that's wasted space. Those AKEs could be used for moving XS/P2 vs holding it off till the next flight out.

Amazon freight is a love/hate. Love the fact that it can fill in gap drive time, hate it because it may cause long gap drive time.
All that can be said about any package, not just Amazon. FedEx isn't turning it away, every bit helps even if it's a small bit.

Star B

White Lightening
The difference between "any package" and an "amazon" package is that we are not giving stupidly-deep discounts to "any package".

Of all people, I would have thought that you would understand the concept of "work smarter, not harder".

vantexan

The difference between "any package" and an "amazon" package is that we are not giving stupidly-deep discounts to "any package".

Of all people, I would have thought that you would understand the concept of "work smarter, not harder".
I do, which is why I'm going to work for $60k+ with my pension included and my bills paid, than stay at FedEx for less than $40k and bills up the wazoo.

Serf

Yes sir, only limit on me is if I choose to work again for FedEx I have to keep it under 70 hrs a month or lose my pension payment that month.
RTD literally just told me they waived that rule now because they need people. Retirees now allowed to work as much as they want.