An ugly prediction that you can hold me to...

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
making deliveries on mountain bikes towing trailers.

Thats right...instead of a 16' Uhaul rental truck, we will have a guy on a bicycle.

O M friend G driver. . . .mountain bikes??

What are the guidelines for the mountain bike users?

Will the bikes have 3 point seat belts?

I wonder if the bikes are painted brown with the company logo on it.
I knew I was working out for a reason. Let me at one of them bikes!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

In your area the bikes might work. There are no hills in Florida, it doesnt snow, and it doesnt freeze.

I am all for thinking "out of the box" and trying out new ideas...but those ideas must have some basis in reality and there needs to be a willingness to change the plan if it proves to be unworkable.

In my area there is no such willingness. IE came up with the plan and the plan is chiseled in stone and we will follow that plan no matter how divorced from reality it might be.

tieguy

Banned
We tried the mountain bikes some years ago. They would work out of "pods" set up on route somewhere (Those little storage bins). The PC driver would leave a whole area in the pod with a DIAD each morning. The bike rider would report to, and work from, the pod each day.

I recall this as a horrible failure for the reasons Sober mentioned. I don't believe it was ever tried again here after the first catastrophe.

I guess the question that comes to mind for me is how do you carry the big pottery barn , sonoma package or the over 70 package on the bike.

over9five

Staff member
I guess the question that comes to mind for me is how do you carry the big pottery barn , sonoma package or the over 70 package on the bike.

Good question!!! I guess the delivery driver who fills the pod would have to make a command decision to deliver those himself.

D

Dis-organized Labor

The Trailer... Tie, I'm an Airline idiot and I know that!!!!

Down boy! We`re not all chiseled studs like you.

Another thing to think about is how long before one of the bike guys gets blasted by a car.

Sober, you mentioned "seniority" drivers are the ones who`ll be riding said bikes. Is that the bottom seniority or by whatever route they decide to implement this train wreck on?

klein

Für Meno :)
I guess it all depends on if you want to keep your job or not. :happy-very:

I have driven thru Oregon before.
Yes, it's hilly.

Anybody in the right mind, riding a bicycle, towing a trailer, in the midst of winter, won't go thru the day, without quitting.
And all that for $9.00 an hr !!!

No thank-you.
Can't see how that will ever work.

And yup, I would be in the bar, before days end ! LOL:happy-very:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Klein, these will not be helpers on these bikes--these will be seniority drivers, so you are talking almost $30/hr.

I was trying to imagine delivering the neighborhood that I live in using one of these. It's a fairly dense neighborhood (no, not because I live here, but because the houses are close together) but I still can't imagine doing anywhere near the 25-30 SPORH that I could do in a pkg car, probably double that with a helper.

I agree with Sober--this sounds like a plan to fail based on a failure to plan.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Nothing suprises me any more.
To be clear, is it going to be helpers or seniority drivers on these bikes?
Either way it's laughable.
If I found myself on one of these rigs it wouldn't be suprising if I was on TAW or workers comp in short order.
Self inflicted or fabricated injury.
Saftey first?
Sometimes you have to take it in to your own hands.
I think I know were this idea came from:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Down boy! We`re not all chiseled studs like you.

Another thing to think about is how long before one of the bike guys gets blasted by a car.

Sober, you mentioned "seniority" drivers are the ones who`ll be riding said bikes. Is that the bottom seniority or by whatever route they decide to implement this train wreck on?
Seniority in my center goes in whatever order they like. Sometimes they turn the list upside down and do it that way.

Klein, these will not be helpers on these bikes--these will be seniority drivers, so you are talking almost $30/hr.

I was trying to imagine delivering the neighborhood that I live in using one of these. It's a fairly dense neighborhood (no, not because I live here, but because the houses are close together) but I still can't imagine doing anywhere near the 25-30 SPORH that I could do in a pkg car, probably double that with a helper.

I agree with Sober--this sounds like a plan to fail based on a failure to plan.
LOL @ the dense comment. Nice phrase ya got there. Maybe 9/5 will add it to his tally of great phrases.

OK, let me get this straight. I can't drive two feet without closing my bulkhead door and we can leave THESE packages unsecured?
Rules vary franchise to franchise and day to day.:wink2:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
And I thought it was some kind of Federal law that says air packages have to be locked up..............and I notice the USPS drives around all day with no bulkhead door and air packages in the cab of their vehicles.

I'm have no idea how this peak season will play out. I was forced to start a Helper this week and I had 150 stops Friday, which I do by myself in 8.5 hours normally. I got through at 4:00 and had to go meet another driver and get more stops off him to work up to eight hours. Volume is still down compared to this time last year, my Center is picking up 1000 pieces less a day. I think it will be a little lighter and we will get slammed bad in about two weeks, with us working helpers after peak for a few days like last year.

klein

Für Meno :)
When I see that bicycle and trailer, I just can't stop myself of thinking, that someone just took too many trips over to China ! LOL:funny:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Can you trade a bike in for a Segway?
I hear they're thinking about upgrading to "smart" cars. The first picture is the one for sober's neighborhood, the other is for flatter terrain.

2376226286_b34f97c4d5.jpg

2350491088_d9be296c65.jpg

NHDRVR

Am I surprised by this?? No

Do I think it will happen as you described?? No (no disrepect, I just think this plan will happen differently)

Do I think someone got paid WAY too much to come up with that plan?? Hell yes