Another reason not to feed dogs treats

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Not all but the vast majority. Depends upon where the driver chose to park.

I was involved in a hit while parked on campus and it was clear that I had done all that I could to park in a safe manner.
Company policy is for a set percentage of all reported accidents to be deemed "avoidable", regardless of whether or not there is any rational basis for doing so. Its not about logic or fairness or common sense, its about each center generating its pre-determined metrics and meeting its quota of warning letters.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Company policy is for a set percentage of all reported accidents to be deemed "avoidable", regardless of whether or not there is any rational basis for doing so. Its not about logic or fairness or common sense, its about each center generating its pre-determined metrics and meeting its quota of warning letters.

Sorry but your conspiracy theory is just that----a theory.

barnyard

KTM rider
I ALWAYS fight it when someone hits a dog on the street and is charged with it. If UPS is going to charge drivers for hitting a dog on the street, 1 day, they are going to find a driver dead. No one is going to be able to figure out why and it will be because he/she swerved to miss a dog to avoid hitting it and crashed.

We don't veer for deer, why would we do it for a dog??

On customer property, that is another thing.

SandW357

I am absolutely positively not giving your dog a treat much less delivering your package. You want your box, keep it inside or call it in when I honk. Otherwise bag and tag. I don't care how friendly it seems.

soberups

I am absolutely positively not giving your dog a treat much less delivering your package. You want your box, keep it inside or call it in when I honk. Otherwise bag and tag. I don't care how friendly it seems.

To each their own, I guess.

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
Driver in our center ran over a Chihuahua yesterday that was running down a street into an intersection the driver was passing through. It was a T intersection where the driver was coming from the right side of the T, at the intersection a car was stopped facing the top of the T, as the driver passed through the T intersection, the dog came from the base of T, along the driver side door of the car that was stopped...straight across the T and under the back wheels of the UPS truck that was moving right to left of the T. Driver obviously never saw the dog as his view was obstructed by the other car. The dog wasn't on a leash at the time.

Management says he failed to honk his horn to alert the dog.

In terms of the treats comment in the title, this driver was a cover driver for the area. It's not yet clear if the dog was just a tire chaser, most likely, or a dog that owners let run loose to the regular driver to obtain treats. I mentioned in a previous post that I recently changed routes, today it happens that two dogs came bolting out of a garage straight towards the truck as I passed by a house to turn around in a cul-de-sac. I stopped two houses up from the cul-de-sac and the dogs were at my door, climbing in as the truck came to a stop. I could see they were friendly, not barking, but were very comfortable stepping in the vehicle. I told them in a firm voice to "get down", knowing this is what they most likely did with the previous driver. The owner comes up and says "The other driver always gave them treats when she comes down the street". I then explained to the owner that I'll be replacing the other driver and to please not let her dogs run loose as I don't carry treats for dogs and explained the reasoning why.

I know a lot of you don't care about my post, you love your animal friends, and will continue to feed them treats. The problem is when you're not there, conditions change, other drivers are effected by your decisions to feed the animals. All I'm saying is just be aware of possible scenarios in which you think you're doing a good thing, but can horribly backfire under the wrong conditions.

I won't even go into the implications if a dog was to have an allergy or just happen to die right after you fed it a treat it choked on.
I feed my wife and children. Anything on four legs running at me is about to fly through the uprights.

llamainmypocket

Dogs don't need treats. They just need to be treated how they want to be treated. The dog biscuits are probably better at training the driver to be right than the dogs. I dont think it's positive that you seem to have no intention of treating dogs how they want to be treated. It doesnt make life easier.

soberups

I always feel bad after kicking them. It may take a while but it usually happens that way. But I'm not going to let them get a hold of me if I can help it. My anger usually shifts from the dog to the owner.
I love dogs but I love not getting bitten even more and I would not hesitate to stomp and kick the living crap out of a dog that was trying to bite me, and I wouldn't feel one bit of guilt about it afterwards. Fortunately, I have never had to resort to doing that.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I ALWAYS fight it when someone hits a dog on the street and is charged with it. If UPS is going to charge drivers for hitting a dog on the street, 1 day, they are going to find a driver dead. No one is going to be able to figure out why and it will be because he/she swerved to miss a dog to avoid hitting it and crashed.

We don't veer for deer, why would we do it for a dog??

On customer property, that is another thing.
Yep. Dosent matter though. They won't agree. They know it's not right to charge driver. They do it anyway

MassWineGuy

I love animals more than I love most people that I know. My wife is a vet and we have a few pets in the house. I don't even want to imagine how I would feel if I accidently hit a dog, cat or other animal with my vehicle. Wouldn't matter if it was someone's pet or a stray. That would probably be it for me for the rest of the day and I'd need to head home.

And if I ever saw someone being cruel to an animal, I doubt if even God would be able to help them.

chris9834

Yep. Dosent matter though. They won't agree. They know it's not right to charge driver. They do it anyway
I fully agree with you, a couple months back in PCM they started it out as "did you know if you hit someones pet and they call it in its considered a accident". I said out loud better the dog then me. Im not saying that I wont try and avoid it in a safe manner but im sure as hell not going to lock up my breaks or turn over the car trying to avoid hitting the dog, or cat. So far I havent had to deal with that yet.