Do dog treats work?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Leave your dog out, you get no package.

Done

Dog owners need to be trained like dogs sometimes. Negative reinforcement works well for a behavior adjustment.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Don’t trust any dog. If you don’t feel comfortable going into a yard or on any property with a dog let the management know.
I do this even at businesses who bring their animals to work I’ve never been around. I’ll just knock on the door if they don’t come cl1 remarks dog

Almost

Was a
I'm not sure you read my post. I'm talking about using a treat to "defend" myself against a potential biter and NOT feeding the dogs on my route.
Besides, if some owner allows his precious pet to be out in the street it's his/her problem if they have to scrape it off the pavement. Serves them right IMO.
People and their mutts..... Too many give them a higher value than they do another human being.
Ran a cut car for 12 years and I found treats useful in gaging a questionable dogs reaction and it helps to make friends with them. If in doubt then screw it. NI1 and dog in remarks.
Every time I was bit (about once a year) was by some little yapper whos owner said "oh he/she wont bite" Yeah, I got a little paranoid when I heard that.

DriverNerd

And I keep the box in the truck so cover guys can use them if needed.
Yes, I wish more route drivers did this. I'm indifferent to animals; if they're mean, I'm mean, if they're nice, I'm nice. If a nice dog is playful and their owner says the normal guy brings treats I'll go back to the truck and get one for them. But I don't know which are nice or not until I get there so I leave the treats in the truck.

BlackFriday

Please remove my account. This forum sucks.
On the flip side I have a dog that is about 80 lbs but is TOO playful. Damn tail is like getting hit with a rubber club. It's a four legged trip hazard as well. As soon as I exit its jumping on me and clawing me. It's slamming into me during the delivery. This is the perfect candidate for trying out my kibble on next time I get that house.

JustDeliverIt

Yes, I wish more route drivers did this. I'm indifferent to animals; if they're mean, I'm mean, if they're nice, I'm nice. If a nice dog is playful and their owner says the normal guy brings treats I'll go back to the truck and get one for them. But I don't know which are nice or not until I get there so I leave the treats in the truck.

And the thing is with a route like mine 90% of the houses have dogs out here. Better to toss a bone to them and they usually are good. You can usually tell the ones that are never friendly and those are NI1 and move on but a $10 box of Milkbones are easily worth it

Overpaid Union Thug

On the flip side I have a dog that is about 80 lbs but is TOO playful. Damn tail is like getting hit with a rubber club. It's a four legged trip hazard as well. As soon as I exit its jumping on me and clawing me. It's slamming into me during the delivery. This is the perfect candidate for trying out my kibble on next time I get that house.
Feeding that dog anything will not keep it from bum rushing you every time you arrive. If anything it will make it worse. And every driver that delivers there will be expected to give it some thing. In addition to being physically assaulted.
And the thing is with a route like mine 90% of the houses have dogs out here. Better to toss a bone to them and they usually are good. You can usually tell the ones that are never friendly and those are NI1 and move on but a $10 box of Milkbones are easily worth it
Why not spend $0 and ignore the dogs that aren’t a threat and establish dominance over the aggressive ones? It’s so much easier to train dogs to leave us the hell alone. Worst case scenario you bring the package back to the center without having to deal with the bad ones at all.

tourists24

Got my first nip the other day. I have zero tolerance for any animal that's allowed to bite someone and I really wanted to grab my 380 and give this nipper a lead pill. Needless to say it was a very bad idea so I just went about the day. Next time I have this stop I can either spray this 25 four legged scrawny mutt or I can give it some dog treats. I don't know if treats work?
The dog would only get to nip once. From then on I honk the horn a few times and if the owner doesn't come out to get it; will call time

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
The only time I've ever had an issue with a dog is when the owner opened the door and the dog rushed out and bit me before I knew what was happening. Sometimes stuff is unavoidable, but generally dealing with dogs takes some common sense. If you don't have any, then you are better off keeping your distance.

walk the jewels

just driving around in circles
I had a German Shepherd come after me once when it managed to knock his gate open. Giant thing. As it was barking and growling at me and moving closer, I was backing away, pretty scared. I ended up yelling "sit!", and the damn thing sat, still barking and growling. Got to my pc just as the owner came to see what the commotion was. She was scared for me, asked if I was ok. Told her I was fine, just needed a new pair of underpants.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
The only time I've ever had an issue with a dog is when the owner opened the door and the dog rushed out and bit me before I knew what was happening. Sometimes stuff is unavoidable, but generally dealing with dogs takes some common sense. If you don't have any, then you are better off keeping your distance.
Heres a little common sense for you put your foot against the door so you control when it opens