Do dog treats work?

BlackFriday

Please remove my account. This forum sucks.
Got my first nip the other day. I have zero tolerance for any animal that's allowed to bite someone and I really wanted to grab my 380 and give this nipper a lead pill. Needless to say it was a very bad idea so I just went about the day. Next time I have this stop I can either spray this 25 four legged scrawny mutt or I can give it some dog treats. I don't know if treats work?

deeztier

ZestyTornAfricanmolesnake-max-1mb (2).gif

Captain Qwark

"I don't deserve these bulbous buttocks."
They work--unless it's a guard dog. Knowing that treats do work, you've just given the dog permission to run in front or into your truck as you're driving causing distraction plus permission to jump on you aggressively as you're walking to the door. If you don't feed them when they're used to being fed then they can pull the entitlement card and nip you as if to say "uh, aren't you forgetting something?"

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
They work--unless it's a guard dog. Knowing that treats do work, you've just given the dog permission to run in front or into your truck as you're driving causing distraction plus permission to jump on you aggressively as you're walking to the door. If you don't feed them when they're used to being fed then they can pull the entitlement card and nip you as if to say "uh, aren't you forgetting something?"
It’s not a means to “get into a property” it’s just making your life easier with the ones that are playful and want to jump all over you. That’s how I’ve always looked at it. And good to have for possible distraction in case you end up getting charged

wilberforce15

It’s not a means to “get into a property” it’s just making your life easier with the ones that are playful and want to jump all over you. That’s how I’ve always looked at it. And good to have for possible distraction in case you end up getting charged
And a great way to make your cover driver take the bite instead of you.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I used to deliver to a well-known Atlanta tv anchor reporter who had trained German Shepard guard dogs. Her husband was a county police commissioner so these two dogs were his idea. Iron-gated lake mansion with a side door next to the driveway gates. I gave "Chief" a couple of dried-out dog cookies and he instantly became my friend for life. The homeowner got ticked when he saw me do it, he said he would have to have them retrained. His wife just laughed about it. That was about the only time I gave a dog a treat.

Normally I just looked at strange dogs and talked to them in a stern voice, most of them would back off. Dealing with dogs became a sport to me after a while. I ran over some stupid ones that liked to chase cars and I beat a couple across their heads. Some dogs I petted often, I didn't need to be providing treats. I didn't like dogs getting anywhere near my car, some were stupid and get places I couldn't see them.

iowa boy

Make sure you train the dog though, don't ever give it a treat by the truck. Make it walk to the house to get its treat, unless it's pissed, then give it a treat right away to distract it.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
And a great way to make your cover driver take the bite instead of you.
That’s why when you’re a cover and see a dog you dr bag it and drop it in drive way, write “dog” in the remarks, nobody can touch you. You sound like a guy who had a bad experience or know someone that did and I absolutely get it, if you think there is risk and you don’t want to take the risk then don’t do it. DRBAGDRVWY PCEOUT

wilberforce15

That’s why when you’re a cover and see a dog you dr bag it and drop it in drive way, write “dog” in the remarks, nobody can touch you. You sound like a guy who had a bad experience or know someone that did and I absolutely get it, if you think there is risk and you don’t want to take the risk then don’t do it. DRBAGDRVWY PCEOUT
Yep. That's a great plan that every cover driver should follow.

Captain Qwark

True, although I don't know if a treat would stop a dog that's charging? I know a DIAD works but it's a last resort. I kinda look at feeding dogs similar to using cell phones. We don't have to, but sometimes it does make life easier. I stopped feeding dogs years ago though when I ran over a little yipper's paw as I was backing up (before back-up cameras) because he knew I was going to feed him. Dog was ok, but I felt awful. Also, by feeding them, are we training them or are they training us?:speechless2:
*See dog that's not completely and obviously contained.
*Not-in.

It's a 2 step process.

Owners can keep a dog correctly, and then he's allowed to receive packages.
After being bit once that's my attitude as well although I have a country route so usually I have an area on their property I can stop, bag it and place it on the ground without getting out with a note DOG! on the package.

Captain Qwark

oops, you beat me to it!

rod

Retired 22 years
Got my first nip the other day. I have zero tolerance for any animal that's allowed to bite someone and I really wanted to grab my 380 and give this nipper a lead pill. Needless to say it was a very bad idea so I just went about the day. Next time I have this stop I can either spray this 25 four legged scrawny mutt or I can give it some dog treats. I don't know if treats work?
First thing you do is call the sheriff/ police dept / town cop or whoever is in charge and get the dog put on the "possibly dangerous" list. (Usually after 3 strikes the mutt could be put down) . Law enforcement should also contact the owner for proof of rabies shots and they should also require the dog to be tied up for 3 days. Show the owners you mean business. Insist in getting their insurance info. Do not rely on the owner to give you a truthful answer. Most of these a .......hole owners think it's no big deal--show them they are wrong. If the owners are POS sue them--the average dog bite used to get you about $5,000 but it's probably more now. My brother-in-law's insurance company paid out $10,000 for his friken dog that I had warned him would bite someone some day and he just laughed at me and told me I was crazy.

JustDeliverIt

I have a rural route and do carry treats. Mainly to keep dogs at bay, they typically grab it and run off. The ones that are iffy, they’ll stay away after I toss one. Cheap insurance in my opinion.

And I keep the box in the truck so cover guys can use them if needed.

Overpaid Union Thug

Passing out dog treats is the equivalent of giving them food under the dinner table. When you do that they will keep coming for more. When they see a delivery truck, especially UPS, they get excited because they think it’s a food truck. Many dogs have gotten run over because they are so excited they don’t always have full control of themselves when they come running towards the truck. Most dogs that get used to being fed treats will essentially attack drivers in an excitement fueled frenzy. My worst dog related injuries were from those clawing at me because other drivers kept passing out treats like their lives depended on it. And those dogs don’t realize they’re scratching us.

The best way to handle dogs is to not go near them or proceed to with caution. Eventually they get used to us. When in doubt, bring the package back. Feeding them treats causes more problems than they solve.

BlackFriday

Please remove my account. This forum sucks.
I'm not sure you read my post. I'm talking about using a treat to "defend" myself against a potential biter and NOT feeding the dogs on my route.
Besides, if some owner allows his precious pet to be out in the street it's his/her problem if they have to scrape it off the pavement. Serves them right IMO.
People and their mutts..... Too many give them a higher value than they do another human being.