Anyone else get fired or disciplined for reporting safety violations?!!

Superteeth2478

In our building, reporting legitimate injuries gets you walked out.
They must not have a proper steward in your building. I would have a blast at your building. I actually encourage injured employees to file injury reports ASAP, and to request my presence if they feel intimidated. I know that filing injury reports gets them interrogated harshly (one employee was bought to tears before I got involved in the meeting once she asked for me), and that without me present most employees are dissuaded from filing an injury report.

I also personally file OSHA complaints and encourage others to do so as well. I even choose not to remain anonymous on my complaint form. Even so, OSHA still hides the identity of the complainant, but when it gets to management I actually make it a point to say it was me that filed the complaint. Most management in the building knows I've been through the fire and flames before and that I didn't back down then and never will, so they know better than to mess with me in situations where they know I'm right (and that's most of the time).

More buildings need no-nonsense stewards to back up the workers, and more workers need to stop being pusillanimous. A lot of problems would be solved that way.

Yeah, I know I'm full of myself, but I know that the kind of person who leads as fearlessly as I do is rare, so I think it's merited.

over9five

Staff member
They must not have a proper steward in your building. I would have a blast at your building. I actually encourage injured employees to file injury reports ASAP, and to request my presence if they feel intimidated. I know that filing injury reports gets them interrogated harshly (one employee was bought to tears before I got involved in the meeting once she asked for me), and that without me present most employees are dissuaded from filing an injury report.

I also personally file OSHA complaints and encourage others to do so as well. I even choose not to remain anonymous on my complaint form. Even so, OSHA still hides the identity of the complainant, but when it gets to management I actually make it a point to say it was me that filed the complaint. Most management in the building knows I've been through the fire and flames before and that I didn't back down then and never will, so they know better than to mess with me in situations where they know I'm right (and that's most of the time).

More buildings need no-nonsense stewards to back up the workers, and more workers need to stop being pusillanimous. A lot of problems would be solved that way.

Yeah, I know I'm full of myself, but I know that the kind of person who leads as fearlessly as I do is rare, so I think it's merited.
Wow, you are a GOD.

Inthegame

You remind me of someone I know...

Superteeth2478

Wow, you are a GOD.
I know you're being sarcastic, but that said, how many sellout stewards have you seen in your long career? I haven't even worked at UPS THAT long and have seen plenty. It's pretty rare to have a good steward because the draw to be evil is so strong...

You know what's funny? There were two sellout stewards in particular who both thought management actually feared THEM, and told workers that management feared them. It was hilarious to me. I just thought how out of touch they must be to think that. Management laughs at sellout stewards, and sees them as dancing monkeys or puppets on strings.

Last edited:

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

274F37D5-8A60-4946-A687-FB91601EF3C4.gif

Superteeth2478

I'm not arrogant, I'm just telling the truth!

In all seriousness, there was one guy who actually told me how when he got injured and talked to the preload manager about reporting the injury, the preload manager started to attempt to intimidate him.

At this point the guy actually took the advice of some other workers and did a little name-dropping, asking the preload manager if he wanted to get me involved. The preload manager actually told him not to get me involved and that they would take care of him. Suffice it to say they didn't mess with him. The guy actually got quite the kick out of it and was really a believer in the fear that management actually has for me. It was great hearing how excited he was telling me that story.

And that's not even the first time something similar happened.

Last edited:
F

Frankie's Friend

A sellout steward is worse and causes more damage than a weak ("pussillanimous") worker.

The only thing worse is the same caliber eboard and ba.

I told one of my coworkers that we remember the BAs and stewards that gave us courage to draw the line ourselves. The names of the crooked weak ones rot.

Superteeth2478

A sellout steward is worse and causes more damage than a weak ("pussillanimous") worker.

The only thing worse is the same caliber eboard and ba.

I told one of my coworkers that we remember the BAs and stewards that gave us courage to draw the line ourselves. The names of the crooked weak ones rot.
No doubt a sellout steward is worse than a pusillanimous worker.

I think I might actually disagree on whether or not a sellout steward is worse than a sellout E-board or BA. Although the E-board and BA have more power than the steward, the steward is at the job site more often. That means that although the sellout E-board and BA can do more actual harm, nothing is going to hurt the impression of the union more in the eyes of the rank and file than a sellout steward. And that does more to discourage worker involvement in the union than anything. A proper steward would even stand up to their own corrupt BA and E-board.

F

Frankie's Friend

I thought it was interesting that many of the names listed in the article were from Ohio buildings and labor.

O'Connor was a "spokesman" that said they address these situations expeditiously???
tenor.gif

F

Frankie's Friend

No doubt a sellout steward is worse than a pusillanimous worker.

I think I might actually disagree on whether or not a sellout steward is worse than a sellout E-board or BA. Although the E-board and BA have more power than the steward, the steward is at the job site more often. That means that although the sellout E-board and BA can do more actual harm, nothing is going to hurt the impression of the union more in the eyes of the rank and file than a sellout steward. And that does more to discourage worker involvement in the union than anything. A proper steward would even stand up to their own corrupt BA and E-board.
Yes I agree, but the membership sees the steward getting screwed over and they realize that without filing labor charges on the local ba or officers involved that they risk being thrown under the bus (or worse) as well.

Some members give up after they've filed grievances and they sit unheard for months or on committee hold at the next level. Most folks just come there to work, not to have to babysit a local BA who is two faced and ultimately has authority to withdraw their grievance.

A strong, relentless steward can bring solidarity to the bargaining unit for sure. Without a strong local BA to back up the steward on valid issues it's often like playing golf in your closet.

Superteeth2478

Yes I agree, but the membership sees the steward getting screwed over and they realize that without filing labor charges on the local ba or officers involved that they risk being thrown under the bus (or worse) as well.

Some members give up after they've filed grievances and they sit unheard for months or on committee hold at the next level. Most folks just come there to work, not to have to babysit a local BA who is two faced and ultimately has authority to withdraw their grievance.

A strong, relentless steward can bring solidarity to the bargaining unit for sure. Without a strong local BA to back up the steward on valid issues it's often like playing golf in your closet.
Yup, and in such a situation labor board charges are the only option. That said I would think that a corrupt BA would think twice before doing things that are blatantly violations of the NLRA if the steward is an upstanding one with a good knowledge base. Hell, they would even legitimately fear removing an upstanding steward for interfering with their corrupt activities. A good steward can, to an extent, put a damper on a corrupt BA.

F

Frankie's Friend

Yup, and in such a situation labor board charges are the only option. That said I would think that a corrupt BA would think twice before doing things that are blatantly violations of the NLRA if the steward is an upstanding one with a good knowledge base. Hell, they would even legitimately fear removing an upstanding steward for interfering with their corrupt activities. A good steward can, to an extent, put a damper on a corrupt BA.
The NLRB will vigorously go after the company but softens the punch in dealing with a labor union because they've told us that we can vote out our representation but not our management.
Been there many times.

"As long as the ba schedules a hearing and hears the grievances we will then have to withdraw our charge(s)." Even if they are with merit.

It gets old.

Superteeth2478

The NLRB will vigorously go after the company but softens the punch in dealing with a labor union because they've told us that we can vote out our representation but not our management.
Been there many times.

"As long as the ba schedules a hearing and hears the grievances we will then have to withdraw our charge(s)." Even if they are with merit.

It gets old.
Oh wow, you know that from experience? That sucks. Hopefully I never have to deal with that. Haven't had a problem with my BA, but you never know.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I like you @Superteeth2478 you seem like the kind of guy we need these days to stand up to this company! Unfortunately it seems like pro union members are a thing of the past. Most the people in my center don't care and I doubt if even 5 people have read the contract. It's a struggle for me to try and enforce the contract with a pretty weak steward and a bunch of coward co workers, but I try to inform people the best I can. Hopefully our center will get turned around and we get a steward that management can't walk all over.

Superteeth2478

I like you @Superteeth2478 you seem like the kind of guy we need these days to stand up to this company! Unfortunately it seems like pro union members are a thing of the past. Most the people in my center don't care and I doubt if even 5 people have read the contract. It's a struggle for me to try and enforce the contract with a pretty weak steward and a bunch of coward co workers, but I try to inform people the best I can. Hopefully our center will get turned around and we get a steward that management can't walk all over.
I'm glad to hear that. The thing is that although I can understand why sometimes being a steward is sometimes a thankless job, it's funny that two of the sellout stewards in my hub told how thankless it is and how they didn't feel appreciated. It's not surprising because they are seen as sellouts by their brothers and sisters so of course they don't appreciate you.

My experience as a steward has been anything but feeling unappreciated. I honestly feel like a celebrity of sorts in my hub. Although I'm a preload steward, drivers are actually referred to me as a guy who knows his stuff and will back up my brothers and sisters all the way if they're right. It's like almost everyone knows me there. I get random comments about how people appreciate what I do as a steward. I was actually moved away from my main hub by some vindictive management and the BA did nothing to keep me in the main building even though there was no legitimate reason to move me, and after I came back after 2 or 3 months people LITERALLY cheered when they saw me. There was a large group of people congregated outside for break that all broke into cheers when they saw me on my first day back.

One of the most important things in my opinion that helps people's opinion of me is that I actually work side by side with my brothers and sisters doing the grunt work. So many stewards sellout and do busy work in exchange for not standing up for their brothers and sisters and not enforcing the contract. I'd rather break my back doing grunt work than ever do that. People see that and respect that.

Have you ever tried getting elected? That sounds like something that needs to happen. Passion is an important trait in a steward for sure.

Last edited:

Rack em

Made the Podium
Have you ever tried getting elected? That sounds like something that needs to happen. Passion is an important trait in a steward for sure.
I was a steward when I was part time, then went FT so am no longer a steward. But I will taking over I'm sure once the position becomes available I'll be the only one who wants to do it. I do have a passion for it and I can't wait to be a steward again! Might even skip that and try and become a business agent.

Superteeth2478

I was a steward when I was part time, then went FT so am no longer a steward. But I will taking over I'm sure once the position becomes available I'll be the only one who wants to do it. I do have a passion for it and I can't wait to be a steward again! Might even skip that and try and become a business agent.
Good deal! If you had built up a good following as a steward, you could potentially win in a business agent election as well. That's typically difficult, though, unless yours is obviously corrupt and no one likes him/her.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
FB_IMG_1487687446244_zps98e9rww3.jpg

I found a better copy....and perhaps you are on to something???

Looks like this particular letter came out of the Minneapolis NLRB Office.

I could have sworn there was a similar decision, around the same time, out of Local 251....but???
Yep that's our labor manager Mike kettler, funny never even saw this until now, its dated back in August 2016.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
FB_IMG_1487687446244_zps98e9rww3.jpg

I found a better copy....and perhaps you are on to something???

Looks like this particular letter came out of the Minneapolis NLRB Office.

I could have sworn there was a similar decision, around the same time, out of Local 251....but???
Recording managers was an issue one of our coworkers fought for because he was in the office daily about production and stealing time. He moved to feeders not to long ago but he always recorded conversations with management and the union steward.