Anyone Else Have a Micro Managing SM?

MassWineGuy

OMFG! Our SM needs to get a life. They routinely message me asking my eta back to the building. And they’re messaging me from home where they’re monitoring all the routes. As offensive as this is, it would be a bit easier to swallow if this SM had any experience whatsoever driving a route. But they don’t, so they typically have no clue about the timing involved.

My manager isn’t bothered and tells me I’m doing good job.

dezguy

Tell them you'll be back when you pull into the station.

Or between your start time and scheduled end time.

!Retired!

Response: It was 1400, but because I had to find a spot to safely pull over to respond to the messages, it's now 1410

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
OMFG! Our SM needs to get a life. They routinely message me asking my eta back to the building. And they’re messaging me from home where they’re monitoring all the routes. As offensive as this is, it would be a bit easier to swallow if this SM had any experience whatsoever driving a route. But they don’t, so they typically have no clue about the timing involved.

He's asks for an ETA, you reply with your ETA. Of all the possible things to make a big deal about, this is way down the list.

I know the board is slow as of late, but come on.

MassWineGuy

I kind of agree with you. The key points are that they monitor routes at home and that they’ve never been a courier.

I know your view about direct experience being unnecessary, but look at the majority of sports coaches and managers. Bill Russell, Joe Torre, Doc Rivers, etc.

FedupExpress

He's asks for an ETA, you reply with your ETA. Of all the possible things to make a big deal about, this is way down the list.

I know the board is slow as of late, but come on.
Always over estimate or underestimate, it is the FedEx way.

Like our PM manager always says, "We're on borrowed time".

Hax

That was one of the things I loved about working there. At least on the ground side if you did your work correctly you weren't bothered by management. I'd sometimes go weeks without even seeing either of my contractors or BC.

HedleyLamarr

Managers are under a lot of pressure right now with Express being rolled into Ground. They seem to think that if they can keep service levels up their station will be spared. Lol, yeah right.
Ever since station closures started happening, the management at my station has started jumping all over us over lates, sph, uniforms, and now, cell phone use while driving. We were told it is an automatic warning letter if our camera catches us on the phone or using Leo while driving.

whenIgetthere

Anytime they messaged me that, I replied midnight. Not my fault the pick up time on my last drop box was 40 minutes before the CTV left for the ramp, and it was 40 minutes back to the station on a good traffic night.

vantexan

My last mgr before retiring micro managed. I liked her as a person, she worked hard. But I never saw anyone else monitor routes so closely. I remember having a torn up stomach one day and having to stop 4 or 5 times through the day. Had to explain every gap to her the next day. A major factor in deciding to retire.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I kind of agree with you. The key points are that they monitor routes at home and that they’ve never been a courier.

I know your view about direct experience being unnecessary, but look at the majority of sports coaches and managers. Bill Russell, Joe Torre, Doc Rivers, etc.
Oh, I'll always stand by the claim that the best coaches were rarely better than average players, if they played at all. Doc Rivers, Joe Torre, Nick Saban, Bill Belichick, Mike Tomlin, Tony LaRussa, etc. Funny you would include Bill Russell, because he has a losing record when he coached teams that he didn't also play on.

Keep pretending that it matters in the case of your SM monitoring routes from home.