Anyone Else Have a Micro Managing SM?

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I don't think the fact that he was slightly better than average mattered to the players. Players don't care how good their coach was when he was a player. Bill Russell was arguably the best player of all time, and definitely the best player of his era. It didn't help him when he became a full-time coach. Same for Wayne Gretzky, Isiah Thomas, Ted Williams, Bart Starr, Maury Wills, I could kill half a day with this.

People love to make the mistaken assumption that success in doing a particular task is transitive and carries over into leadership and/or managerial skill.
So Torre was special. Lol

vantexan

Are you saying the work in that scenario should be assigned based on how much each employee makes instead of better balancing of hours?

It's no more her obligation to give you time off than it is the obligation of the manager you were leaving. If I offer you a job with a start date of the 5th, and you accept, I would expect you to start on the 5th. If I was in your shoes I'd rather inconvenience the manager I was leaving instead of the one I was going to. No point in starting off on the wrong foot.
I transferred all over. 17 times. She was the only one to not give me time off to move. When you leave a station the mgr has the right to keep you 30 days which most took full advantage of.

The engineers create the route boundaries. And yes, when I'm getting 2% raises while topped out is getting 3% on higher pay then I think it's wrong to give someone making a good deal more than me my stop. And I never, ever saw another mgr do that and I've been in more stations than most. If they said anything at all it was in a meeting where they would encourage us to route balance and offer to help if we were light. Which I did plenty of. But when the company is screwing midrange it's adding insult to injury to have a mgr tell you she went through my basket and saw I had a letter that I could give the next guy over who's making more money than I am.

Sometimes I wonder if you ever had real world courier experience.

vantexan

I don't think the fact that he was slightly better than average mattered to the players. Players don't care how good their coach was when he was a player. Bill Russell was arguably the best player of all time, and definitely the best player of his era. It didn't help him when he became a full-time coach. Same for Wayne Gretzky, Isiah Thomas, Ted Williams, Bart Starr, Maury Wills, I could kill half a day with this.

People love to make the mistaken assumption that success in doing a particular task is transitive and carries over into leadership and/or managerial skill.
Had a mgr keep us in a meeting way past necessary to tell us about a super courier in a nearby city who went into management. Failed as a mgr and was demoted back to courier. My mgr told us that we might think we're good, but being a good courier doesn't mean we'd be a good mgr. I responded that being a good mgr doesn't mean a mgr would be a good courier. Got dagger looks from him, snickers from my co-workers. Two kinds of mgrs in my book. Those who truly care about their employees and try to make their jobs reasonable, and those with that smug, authoritarian streak who spend most of their time strutting around like they're God's gift. OK, also the ones who are incompetent and keep their head down and hope no one notices.

FedupExpress

Had a mgr keep us in a meeting way past necessary to tell us about a super courier in a nearby city who went into management. Failed as a mgr and was demoted back to courier. My mgr told us that we might think we're good, but being a good courier doesn't mean we'd be a good mgr. I responded that being a good mgr doesn't mean a mgr would be a good courier. Got dagger looks from him, snickers from my co-workers. Two kinds of mgrs in my book. Those who truly care about their employees and try to make their jobs reasonable, and those with that smug, authoritarian streak who spend most of their time strutting around like they're God's gift. OK, also the ones who are incompetent and keep their head down and hope no one notices.
We have like 1 or 2 that could pass as decent human beings on a good day... For the most part the managers are egotistical tyrants that are just there to cut your hours and micro manage.

There's a big Bertha at our station who thinks her :censored2: don't stink🐖 she screams incessantly at all her peasant couriers.

I like to think what comes around goes around.

Management is scum 98% of the time, this is why the company is on its way to bankruptcy.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
The engineers create the route boundaries. And yes, when I'm getting 2% raises while topped out is getting 3% on higher pay then I think it's wrong to give someone making a good deal more than me my stop. And I never, ever saw another mgr do that and I've been in more stations than most. If they said anything at all it was in a meeting where they would encourage us to route balance and offer to help if we were light. Which I did plenty of. But when the company is screwing midrange it's adding insult to injury to have a mgr tell you she went through my basket and saw I had a letter that I could give the next guy over who's making more money than I am.
I see. A courier's pay, along with a consideration for how they give raises, should determine which stops he gets or doesn't get. Of course, that's even more micromanagement, but hey.

Sometimes I wonder if you ever had real world courier experience.
Why, because I wasn't crying about ONE STOP?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Had a mgr keep us in a meeting way past necessary to tell us about a super courier in a nearby city who went into management. Failed as a mgr and was demoted back to courier. My mgr told us that we might think we're good, but being a good courier doesn't mean we'd be a good mgr. I responded that being a good mgr doesn't mean a mgr would be a good courier.
If I was him I would agree with you, and then ask you "Who said it did?" and let you entertain everyone with your answer.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
We have like 1 or 2 that could pass as decent human beings on a good day... For the most part the managers are egotistical tyrants that are just there to cut your hours and micro manage.

There's a big Bertha at our station who thinks her :censored2: don't stink🐖 she screams incessantly at all her peasant couriers.

I like to think what comes around goes around.

Management is scum 98% of the time, this is why the company is on its way to bankruptcy.
People treat people how they are allowed to. I had only one manager in my career who yelled at me. I let him get away with it twice. The third time he yelled at me, I set him straight. He apologized and never did it again. I wasn’t yelled at as a child and never took it at home. Being a manager does not give one a free pass to treat people like crap. Stand up for yourself and they back off. Worked for me and everyone I knew who did the same.

FedupExpress

People treat people how they are allowed to. I had only one manager in my career who yelled at me. I let him get away with it twice. The third time he yelled at me, I set him straight. He apologized and never did it again. I wasn’t yelled at as a child and never took it at home. Being a manager does not give one a free pass to treat people like crap. Stand up for yourself and they back off. Worked for me and everyone I knew who did the same.
A manager yells at me, I'll smash his face in. Simple as that.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Oh, I'll always stand by the claim that the best coaches were rarely better than average players, if they played at all. Doc Rivers, Joe Torre, Nick Saban, Bill Belichick, Mike Tomlin, Tony LaRussa, etc. Funny you would include Bill Russell, because he has a losing record when he coached teams that he didn't also play on.
Tell someone who cares.

vantexan

I see. A courier's pay, along with a consideration for how they give raises, should determine which stops he gets or doesn't get. Of course, that's even more micromanagement, but hey.

Why, because I wasn't crying about ONE STOP?
What do you care? You have a high salary. Since you're in the know, could you please explain why the company chose to give topped out couriers 3% raises on higher pay than us in midrange, who only got 2%? I thought the idea was for midrange to eventually catch top out. Not let them keep getting farther apart. Not talking about 2 year employees. They were giving 2% raises to people with 10-15 years(or more). Since you're always defending the company, and determined to put us down at the same time, here's a perfect chance to make the company look great, and anyone who asks why a fool.