Anyone Else Have a Micro Managing SM?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
What do you care? You have a high salary. Since you're in the know, could you please explain why the company chose to give topped out couriers 3% raises on higher pay than us in midrange, who only got 2%? I thought the idea was for midrange to eventually catch top out. Not let them keep getting farther apart. Not talking about 2 year employees. They were giving 2% raises to people with 10-15 years(or more). Since you're always defending the company, and determined to put us down at the same time, here's a perfect chance to make the company look great, and anyone who asks why a fool.
Now that we've finished sobbing over one stop going to another courier, let's cry over a 2% raise vs a 3% raise.

You get so worked up over the smallest of things.

vantexan

Now that we've finished sobbing over one stop going to another courier, let's cry over a 2% raise vs a 3% raise.

You get so worked up over the smallest of things.
You work hard all year and get a 32 cent raise while people making $6hr more are getting 70 cents or more then come talk to me. Once again you're downplaying what the company did to tens of thousands of couriers because nothing matters more than the executives getting richer than they already are and people like you getting fat bonuses. Darwinian capitalist.

59 Dano

You work hard all year and get a 32 cent raise while people making $6hr more are getting 70 cents or more then come talk to me. Once again you're downplaying what the company did to tens of thousands of couriers because nothing matters more than the executives getting richer than they already are and people like you getting fat bonuses. Darwinian capitalist.
If all the company cared about was getting richer, why did they give the highest paid couriers a bigger raise? Why not give them the same 2% you got? You don't make any sense.

vantexan

If all the company cared about was getting richer, why did they give the highest paid couriers a bigger raise? Why not give them the same 2% you got? You don't make any sense.
Because they were trying to keep topped out experienced couriers from quitting because they had high turnover from midrange couriers who realized they were never going to top out. In case you hadn't noticed, the company's reason for being is picking up and delivering packages. It isn't mid level mgrs who do the work that brings in income.

Gone fishin

So you don’t think everything is about stockholders and the upper hierarchy getting richer ?

59 Dano

So you don’t think everything is about stockholders and the upper hierarchy getting richer ?
No. How does it benefit the stockholders by giving the most expensive hourly employees bigger raises than they give the others who make less? It's not like they're going to get mad an quit a job that pays $30 an hour for easy work.

vantexan

No. How does it benefit the stockholders by giving the most expensive hourly employees bigger raises than they give the others who make less? It's not like they're going to get mad an quit a job that pays $30 an hour for easy work.
Back then it was $22hr or so top out on the lowest payscale. Meanwhile starting pay was about $14hr at that point. When I was rehired starting pay was $10.85 and I was at $18.17 when I quit almost 15 years later.

Gone fishin

No. How does it benefit the stockholders by giving the most expensive hourly employees bigger raises than they give the others who make less? It's not like they're going to get mad a quit a job that pays $30 an hour for easy work.
Because workers perform better being paid a quality wage. You think hiring inferior workers are more efficient ?

MAKAVELI

How? Because FedEx isn't attracting quality workers with it's compensation to replace those older employees. It's been my experience that probably 8 out of 10 of new hires can't or won't keep up with the productivity and level of service provided by the older experienced employees.

Gone fishin

How? Because FedEx isn't attracting quality workers with it's compensation to replace those older employees. It's been my experience that probably 8 out of 10 of new hires can't or won't keep up with the productivity and level of service provided by the older experienced employees.
I wouldn’t hit half our drivers to cut my grass

59 Dano

Because workers perform better being paid a quality wage. You think hiring inferior workers are more efficient ?
Do you think that giving someone a raise will somehow make a lazy guy give more effort? Make a guy who is at the limit of his skillset somehow more skilled? Get a guy to do more than he wants?

Guess what? There were $3 raises given to this market a couple years ago and they're still in effect. There was a negligible improvement in efficiency. I've posted it here before. Everyone was thrilled at the raises when they were announced and everyone got the Purple Spirit Mania. Lasted about 2 or 3 weeks and then back to normal.

Same as all the other areas that have done it. It did help with recruiting and retention.

59 Dano

But... but... but... the older couriers have targets on their backs and are being forced out of the company because they are slower and less productive than the younger workers!!! I mean, that's what I've been reading here for literal YEARS. Now, the old guys are too fast to keep up with??

LOL, GTFO with that!

vantexan

Do you think that giving someone a raise will somehow make a lazy guy give more effort? Make a guy who is at the limit of his skillset somehow more skilled? Get a guy to do more than he wants?

Guess what? There were $3 raises given to this market a couple years ago and they're still in effect. There was a negligible improvement in efficiency. I've posted it here before. Everyone was thrilled at the raises when they were announced and everyone got the Purple Spirit Mania. Lasted about 2 or 3 weeks and then back to normal.

Same as all the other areas that have done it. It did help with recruiting and retention.
If you're dying of thirst in the desert you celebrate when a downpour comes. Then things dry up again.

FedupExpress

But... but... but... the older couriers have targets on their backs and are being forced out of the company because they are slower and less productive than the younger workers!!! I mean, that's what I've been reading here for literal YEARS. Now, the old guys are too fast to keep up with??

LOL, GTFO with that!
We're in Amurica, señoir citizens belong in homes.

Flaco50

OMFG! Our SM needs to get a life. They routinely message me asking my eta back to the building. And they’re messaging me from home where they’re monitoring all the routes. As offensive as this is, it would be a bit easier to swallow if this SM had any experience whatsoever driving a route. But they don’t, so they typically have no clue about the timing involved.

My manager isn’t bothered and tells me I’m doing good job.
Tell MD you and your peers (the ones that are on the same page with you) want a skip level meeting, had one at a station about 10 years ago and a few months later that toxic senior was told to resign.