Anyone Else Have a Micro Managing SM?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
lates, sph, uniforms, and now, cell phone use while driving. We were told it is an automatic warning letter if our camera catches us on the phone or using Leo while driving.

But I never saw anyone else monitor routes so closely. I remember having a torn up stomach one day and having to stop 4 or 5 times through the day. Had to explain every gap to her the next day. A major factor in deciding to retire.
I can't imagine why they insist on taking an interest in the performance of their employees simply because it's their job to do so.

MassWineGuy

In all seriousness, a lot of people don't like working for a black woman.

?

In any case, by your statement about Bill Russell, you’re acknowledging that senior managers don’t always know what they’re doing or do a good job. Logic is a two-way street. Nice to see eye to eye, D.

The ops mgrs at my station are constantly filling the SM in on the context and fine details of things like traffic jam delays, stops that are heavy and other things that anyone who’s ever driven a route know can affect timing.

Last edited:

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Oh, I'll always stand by the claim that the best coaches were rarely better than average players, if they played at all. Doc Rivers, Joe Torre, Nick Saban, Bill Belichick, Mike Tomlin, Tony LaRussa, etc. Funny you would include Bill Russell, because he has a losing record when he coached teams that he didn't also play on.

Keep pretending that it matters in the case of your SM monitoring routes from home.
You’d be wrong about Torre.
IMG_5307.png

vantexan

I can't imagine why they insist on taking an interest in the performance of their employees simply because it's their job to do so.
If all mgrs watched couriers that closely then she wouldn't have stood out. But I've worked for more mgrs than most and I've never seen anyone come close to what she did. She had quite a few company awards on her wall and she certainly did a great job.

Let me give two examples concerning me. I had a route with a town of about 8000 plus the surrounding county. A lot of driving. She would insist if I had a stop up in the corner of my route that I give it to the next route over because he typically got 37-38 hrs a week. She wanted to make sure I didn't get OT that day. Problem is that courier was topped out making about $6hr more than me. She was taking money out of my pocket taking 25-30 minutes from me to reduce OT. Didn't matter that my OT wasn't much more than a topped out courier's regular time and that he made considerably more on 37 than I did on 42.

And also when I transferred there she wouldn't let me take a week off my first week there to move a 1000 miles and get situated, taking care of getting my driver's license, etc. I transferred more than most and always the station I was moving to would give me time off to move. I had to beg my mgr of the station I was leaving let me have a couple of days off before that weekend to move. Something he didn't have to do but was nice about it. He called me up there and asked me if I would consider coming back. Said he could make it happen. But I transferred to make my wife happy and couldn't go back. Anyways that mgr was more concerned about her budget than helping a courier moving his household a thousand miles.

Myort

probably just like they did with the traditional pension. The amount is frozen where it is and those people still getting it will move over to getting the 8% 401k match.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
The rate the FedEx guy on my route knocks over mailboxes and still has a job, I'd love to work for them for a week just to see what I could get away with.

59 Dano

?

In any case, by your statement about Bill Russell, you’re acknowledging that senior managers don’t always know what they’re doing or do a good job. Logic is a two-way street. Nice to see eye to eye, D.

The ops mgrs at my station are constantly filling the SM in on the context and fine details of things like traffic jam delays, stops that are heavy and other things that anyone who’s ever driven a route know can affect timing.
I don't think you understand what logic is.

59 Dano

If all mgrs watched couriers that closely then she wouldn't have stood out. But I've worked for more mgrs than most and I've never seen anyone come close to what she did. She had quite a few company awards on her wall and she certainly did a great job.

Let me give two examples concerning me. I had a route with a town of about 8000 plus the surrounding county. A lot of driving. She would insist if I had a stop up in the corner of my route that I give it to the next route over because he typically got 37-38 hrs a week. She wanted to make sure I didn't get OT that day. Problem is that courier was topped out making about $6hr more than me. She was taking money out of my pocket taking 25-30 minutes from me to reduce OT. Didn't matter that my OT wasn't much more than a topped out courier's regular time and that he made considerably more on 37 than I did on 42.
Are you saying the work in that scenario should be assigned based on how much each employee makes instead of better balancing of hours?

And also when I transferred there she wouldn't let me take a week off my first week there to move a 1000 miles and get situated, taking care of getting my driver's license, etc. I transferred more than most and always the station I was moving to would give me time off to move. I had to beg my mgr of the station I was leaving let me have a couple of days off before that weekend to move. Something he didn't have to do but was nice about it. He called me up there and asked me if I would consider coming back. Said he could make it happen. But I transferred to make my wife happy and couldn't go back. Anyways that mgr was more concerned about her budget than helping a courier moving his household a thousand miles.
It's no more her obligation to give you time off than it is the obligation of the manager you were leaving. If I offer you a job with a start date of the 5th, and you accept, I would expect you to start on the 5th. If I was in your shoes I'd rather inconvenience the manager I was leaving instead of the one I was going to. No point in starting off on the wrong foot.

59 Dano

I’m not saying he was a hall of famer, but he was no slouch and he had weight with the players he managed because of it.
I don't think the fact that he was slightly better than average mattered to the players. Players don't care how good their coach was when he was a player. Bill Russell was arguably the best player of all time, and definitely the best player of his era. It didn't help him when he became a full-time coach. Same for Wayne Gretzky, Isiah Thomas, Ted Williams, Bart Starr, Maury Wills, I could kill half a day with this.

People love to make the mistaken assumption that success in doing a particular task is transitive and carries over into leadership and/or managerial skill.