Anyone in Local 710?

dillweed

I'm in Local 710 and it isn't the same as the National. We don't have an agreement yet and negotions aren't supposed to start until after the first of the year.

We don't vote on the National agreement but later on, we vote on our own. Ours uses the National as a guideline but some things can be very much different.

Anyone else in such an oddball situation?

Phil800101

I'm in 710 too...although not technically yet, not until I get the 30 days past my rehire after January 1st...assuming I get rehired. Anyway, I have been following all the contract stuff closely though, and this is the first I've heard of 710 having a seperate contract. So, we're completely seperate from the master national? Do you know why?

Where you work at Dill? I'm preload at the Joliet(Rockdale) center right now, but I used to work preload at the Urbana center (also covered by 710) back from October 2005-Late April 2006. PM me if you don't want to post it publicly.

dillweed

I'm not exactly in the Chicago area and won't say more because I'm too opinionated on here.

Have no idea why our contract is different, we must be mutants of some sort.

We'll have to wait and see what develops. Glad to find that there are others here in the same situation.

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
I'm 710. There is a union meeting tomorrow at 9am at the hall on halsted st. I''l be there along with others from my center to express our disleasure at the national contract and how we want ours to be different. I believe there are also meetings in joliet and peoria but I'm not sure what time. If you want your opinions to be heard, now is the time. 8 hour requests, over 9.5, no increase in pension benefits, proposed increase in retirees health insurance(300%), these are some of the things we should all be concerned with and I believe should be addressed in our new contract. Stand up and be heard. WE ARE THE TEAMSTERS and it is our union!

705red

Browncafe Steward
I'm not exactly in the Chicago area and won't say more because I'm too opinionated on here.

Have no idea why our contract is different, we must be mutants of some sort.

We'll have to wait and see what develops. Glad to find that there are others here in the same situation.

The chicago area is divided into 2 ups locals, 705 has everthing within a 50 mile range of the city, while 710 has all of the out lying centers and all of the over the road runs in feeder. I have heard the reason that we are seperate is because we could shut down chicago while the rest of the country still works and everyone will feel the effect. I have heard that they trtied combining the contract several decades ago but our local leaders refused that, because generally our contracts are a little better in some areas. I would encourage all to attend their meetings to voice displeasure. Ask flynn why he resigned from the joint council, was it bevause he disaprroves with this contract?

B

babboo25

I too am in Local 710. I just have a funny feeling that 710 will holdout as long as they can and the rest of the country will take notice. 710 already has one of the best pensions in the country. I just cant see them selling out like the national did. We are already being threatened with termination with GPS issues.

ups79

I too am in Local 710. I just have a funny feeling that 710 will holdout as long as they can and the rest of the country will take notice. 710 already has one of the best pensions in the country. I just cant see them selling out like the national did. We are already being threatened with termination with GPS issues.

How can you 67.65% funded is a good plan?

705red

Browncafe Steward
they're better because everyone else is worse

so the national gets ratified without the vote of the two chicago locals?

We in 705 and 710 do not get a vote on the national. It is my understanding that neither local has even meet with the compnay and at our last meeting our sec/treas said we were in no rush.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
so the national gets ratified without the vote of the two chicago locals?

Yes. Apparently, the two Chicago locals have an entirely separate contract. The contract there is based on the National Master but it has some improvements not found in the Master--language, pension, etc. -Rocky

crazygill

Iam not in 710 i am in Michigan, to here you all talk it
must be nice to be able to have such a strong hold on ups as you have had for a long time i have been a teamster fo 30+ and only could hope that we all could have as much stroke as you all do. good luck

710 steward

Our 67% funding is figured at the worst case senario, there are new laws in effect now that has changed the ways that pensions are handled.

Being in a local union gives us seperation from the International Union, which allows us the ability to negotiate our contracts in a more "localalized" way. Don't get me wrong, UPS is UPS, but each region has different issues due to both cultural and geographical differences, and we in Local 710 can know that our language is here specifically for us, not a Florida Teamster with "blizzard" language in his contract. 710 is a very strong union (not all will agree) but less than 1/10 of 1% of us lose our jobs by termination. Imagine if your UPS Region Manager had to work in the same town as the President of the IBT? We have a much smaller chain of command in our union, how many International Teamsters can say that they've had the opportunity to talk to Hoffa after a meeting?

browned out

Da Bears, Da Bulls

Didn't you guys go on a wild cat strike right after we approved the 97 deal and then all of a sudden the weight limit went from 70lbs to 150lbs.

Maybe after this piece of crap gets passed, UPS will raise the limit to 200lbs.

Chicago: Da Bulls, Da Bears, Capone and UPS teamsters not taking any sh t. You guys rule. I've been to Chitown a few times and it looks like it would suck delivering there but nice to visit.

pkgdriver

The weight limit strike was in 94(Carey) if I remember correctly. I dont think all locals participated in it. 50% mabey?

browned out

The weight limit strike was in 94(Carey) if I remember correctly. I dont think all locals participated in it. 50% mabey?

I think you are right. Back in the 3 year duration contract times.
I know the wild cat was futile but still kinda funny UPS would up the weight limit about 6 months into the new contract. I'm sure UPS had no ideas or plans for the increased weight limit when the contract was being negotiated.:happy2:

705red

Browncafe Steward
I think you are right. Back in the 3 year duration contract times.
I know the wild cat was futile but still kinda funny UPS would up the weight limit about 6 months into the new contract. I'm sure UPS had no ideas or plans for the increased weight limit when the contract was being negotiated.:happy2:
I was a rookie when they struck in 94 on the over 70 issue. It is correct that we did strike again in dec of 98 over sups working for roughly 8 hours in 705. Not sure if 710 went out in 94, but i believe that they were the only local not to strike in 97, however alot of 710 members honored the picket lines that were put up. 705 strikers had to travel all across chicago and suburbs to put the lines up for them to honor they never went on strike in 97.

Cole

Shortly after the 93 contract was ratified the company decided to raise the weight limit from 70 max to 150. Then they ran and got a Federal Injunction, but Carey said "#$%! the injunction, we're going on strike"!

Some locals did, but our didn't. I was part-time, and called the local raising hell, and asked why they wanted us to scab on a strike, and of course it was "because of the injunction".
He had crust, and simply wasn't one to be run over. Must have been the Marine in him!