Anyone seen these package car cameras yet?

moldsporh

Long rant.

I believe these cameras will cause more safety issues than what UPS believes they are intended for.

Lets face it, these are the facts, UPS drivers are some of, if not the....very best trained operators on the road. Given our number of operators of vehicles, and miles driven, in almost every conceivable condition, our safety record is and HAS BEEN very good.

We don't need a camera in our face, the SOLE PURPOSE of these cameras, is to CONSTANTLY monitor the driver since telematics and EDD still has not given them enough satisfaction and BS unrealistic results.

UPS is CLUELESS on the worlkoad of the delivery driver over the last 10 years. Constantly we have been berated with tiny details of why we did something completely irrelevant to getting the job done faster because they have shoved 30%+ more work on us and cannot figure out why we are struggling, they still feel they need to tell us what our 1st stop is.

I think the UPS delivery driver has gone from someone who holds a position that they could easily say maybe 1 out of 10 people could do our job, to pretty much a superhero.

There are many dynamics at play, simply performing your job, methods and procedures, being safe, and keeping the public safe, keeping this flowing smoothly being the human element requires a great deal of focus.

So here's my thinking.....When you now take into consideration what UPS likes to use (which is anything) for discipline that now involves a camera which will CONSTANTLY video the driver, this knowledge the driver now has they they are being videoed for the full duration of their shift will IMO negatively affect their ability to draw their focus to the larger bubble around the vehicle, to what's going on inside the vehicle. The driver will naturally want to protect themselves in regards to job security. This is the issue, what we have always done to be aware of our surroundings, make sound and quick judgement calls, will likely be highly affected by trying to make sure we always...."look good on camera". Mark my words, this will become very evident as soon as other drivers begin receiving word that their fellow co-workers are being disciplined.

I will say with absolute certainty, that I will reach for a water bottle, scratch my head, wipe the sweat, anything that shows my hand off the wheel for a moment in which case I still NEVER lose focus or control of my vehicle.....but it won't look like this to a camera....and will be something UPS will use as a "distraction".

Hey UPS, your stock is up because of the extra work we do coupled with Covid, and the fact the driver NATURALLY GOES ABOVE AND BEYOND to give you this.....however you WILL be taking this extra EDGE we provide down a notch or two.

Anyone who thinks for one second these cameras DON'T record constantly are in for a surprise.

I'm fine with a camera looking out, should help with proving the other driver at fault if any incident occurs. UPS has now taken the investment (trained driver) they require to keep the company moving at the pace they want, and forced them into more of a self-preservation mode and the performance will likely show.

UPS has the edge, the well-trained delivery driver that very few can replicate, and they are now turning on them more than ever.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Long rant.

I believe these cameras will cause more safety issues than what UPS believes they are intended for.

Lets face it, these are the facts, UPS drivers are some of, if not the....very best trained operators on the road. Given our number of operators of vehicles, and miles driven, in almost every conceivable condition, our safety record is and HAS BEEN very good.

We don't need a camera in our face, the SOLE PURPOSE of these cameras, is to CONSTANTLY monitor the driver since telematics and EDD still has not given them enough satisfaction and BS unrealistic results.

UPS is CLUELESS on the worlkoad of the delivery driver over the last 10 years. Constantly we have been berated with tiny details of why we did something completely irrelevant to getting the job done faster because they have shoved 30%+ more work on us and cannot figure out why we are struggling, they still feel they need to tell us what our 1st stop is.

I think the UPS delivery driver has gone from someone who holds a position that they could easily say maybe 1 out of 10 people could do our job, to pretty much a superhero.

There are many dynamics at play, simply performing your job, methods and procedures, being safe, and keeping the public safe, keeping this flowing smoothly being the human element requires a great deal of focus.

So here's my thinking.....When you now take into consideration what UPS likes to use (which is anything) for discipline that now involves a camera which will CONSTANTLY video the driver, this knowledge the driver now has they they are being videoed for the full duration of their shift will IMO negatively affect their ability to draw their focus to the larger bubble around the vehicle, to what's going on inside the vehicle. The driver will naturally want to protect themselves in regards to job security. This is the issue, what we have always done to be aware of our surroundings, make sound and quick judgement calls, will likely be highly affected by trying to make sure we always...."look good on camera". Mark my words, this will become very evident as soon as other drivers begin receiving word that their fellow co-workers are being disciplined.

I will say with absolute certainty, that I will reach for a water bottle, scratch my head, wipe the sweat, anything that shows my hand off the wheel for a moment in which case I still NEVER lose focus or control of my vehicle.....but it won't look like this to a camera....and will be something UPS will use as a "distraction".

Hey UPS, your stock is up because of the extra work we do coupled with Covid, and the fact the driver NATURALLY GOES ABOVE AND BEYOND to give you this.....however you WILL be taking this extra EDGE we provide down a notch or two.

Anyone who thinks for one second these cameras DON'T record constantly are in for a surprise.

I'm fine with a camera looking out, should help with proving the other driver at fault if any incident occurs. UPS has now taken the investment (trained driver) they require to keep the company moving at the pace they want, and forced them into more of a self-preservation mode and the performance will likely show.

UPS has the edge, the well-trained delivery driver that very few can replicate, and they are now turning on them more than ever.
The camera is installed to justify management jobs. Nothing more, nothing less. It's a harassment tool.

PASinterference

Now they can worry more on how they need to find a place for the 75 to 100 clicks of work that will not get done.
Just remind them that we are not in the management employment business. We are in the package delivery business and it gets done when they are on vacation and nobody replaces them. It's a damn miracle I know.

moldsporh

Just remind them that we are not in the management employment business. We are in the package delivery business and it gets done when they are on vacation and nobody replaces them. It's a damn miracle I know.
They brought this on themselves. We aren't the drivers who don't see past the nose of the truck. We are CONSTANTLY aware of our surroundings and I'm willing to bet this might even be an insurance perk, just like EDD was and is a fuel perk.

This is not about safety, it's about greed. And the only thing EDD has caused is 1 more hour of pay to drive 5 less miles.

These cameras will do the same, another epic fail and will cost the company more money.

Once the 3rd quarter earnings come back on other companies, showing them how they need to cut back due to this covid whirlwind, we will look good through peak, then they will be losing their minds come February when we start losing a small bit of volume as other businesses adjust....then comes the harassment. Just like any other year, but this is where it takes it's toll. I'm not trying to sound negative, but it's reality.

They went too far with the cameras and it will show.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I can just see my center manager plopped down on the couch with a big box of Twinkies at 2 pm watching all the drivers deliver in a filthy ass package car waiting for a "methods violation ".
In a few more years it will be some guy named Patel who makes $2 an hour to sit at a desk and watch for “methods infractions” from a call center in Mumbai.

PASinterference

They brought this on themselves. We aren't the drivers who don't see past the nose of the truck. We are CONSTANTLY aware of our surroundings and I'm willing to bet this might even be an insurance perk, just like EDD was and is a fuel perk.

This is not about safety, it's about greed. And the only thing EDD has caused is 1 more hour of pay to drive 5 less miles.

These cameras will do the same, another epic fail and will cost the company more money.

Once the 3rd quarter earnings come back on other companies, showing them how they need to cut back due to this covid whirlwind, we will look good through peak, then they will be losing their minds come February when we start losing a small bit of volume as other businesses adjust....then comes the harassment. Just like any other year, but this is where it takes it's toll. I'm not trying to sound negative, but it's reality.

It's just job justification for the corporate jackwads. We need to take care of the useless management positions until they take their buyout.

bumped

UPS couldn't understand why people didn't want to drive five years ago there is no way people are going to want to do this job now. I would never have become a driver with the way the current environment is. Allowing people to have tattoos and beards is not going to be a trade off for being watched all day.

Cowboy Mac

Pretty soon this job is going to be just like that of a police officer. The public already films us and take pictures of us just doing our jobs, and people make YouTube videos of themselves harassing us.

Now we have UPS installing talking cameras in our vehicles to harass us every time we take a drink of water or go 1 mile over the speed limit. The cameras watch us all day for tomorrow morning’s harassment. If you are anything but perfect and you file grievances get ready to be in the office every morning for this stuff.

The next step is body cameras, and then pay cuts and concessions by the union in our contract, and this is how the company gets there. By having an electronic supervisor to ride around with us all day, every day. Watch how many of those drivers who are able to retire start doing so as early as possible.

Get rid of the experienced, “problem” drivers with a spine. Replace them with a revolving door of lower paid, hungry part timers that don’t know the contract. Weakening the union...

pkgdriver

Are you confusing EDD and ORION? Or am I the one confused?

meritocracy

Pretty soon this job is going to be just like that of a police officer. The public already films us and take pictures of us just doing our jobs, and people make YouTube videos of themselves harassing us.

Now we have UPS installing talking cameras in our vehicles to harass us every time we take a drink of water or go 1 mile over the speed limit. The cameras watch us all day for tomorrow morning’s harassment. If you are anything but perfect and you file grievances get ready to be in the office every morning for this stuff.

The next step is body cameras, and then pay cuts and concessions by the union in our contract, and this is how the company gets there. By having an electronic supervisor to ride around with us all day, every day. Watch how many of those drivers who are able to retire start doing so as early as possible.

Get rid of the experienced, “problem” drivers with a spine. Replace them with a revolving door of lower paid, hungry part timers that don’t know the contract. Weakening the union...
Except when we UPS drivers kill people on the job it's actually an accident.

Poop Head

Judge me.
Question for guys who have dealt with workers comp.

Can they try to deny your comp for not using their prescribed methods? I could see them doing something like that.

Will deter the fakers im sure.

moldsporh

Agree totally. They'll just tell us they started it a little at a time.
Then it's real simple. Put a sticker on the camera while you work and see if mgmt brings it up. If the camera is off, they shouldn't have anything to talk about, and it won't be tampering with a safety device.