Anyone seen these package car cameras yet?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Not happening here. If it is happen then they need to file article 37. The video and literature that ups passed out said that they understand getting a drink and it will not be a "coaching session".
Lol, you buying that? The union should shut it down now. Get everything in writing, then put the units in.

What is the purpose of installing these units?

542thruNthru

It just means they can't discipline you just from technology (although they do it anyway). Not hard for them to go and watch you in person if they see something to confront you with.
They can discipline you. They can not discharge you.

You're right it's not hard but they still have to do it and honestly they don't need a camera to be able to catch us anyways.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying cameras are harmless. I'm just saying being scared of what they may see on them is a fear ups wants us to have.

I don't play on my phone at every stop and if I do I'm in the back where the camera can see but no one else can. So let them come out and watch. They would have to follow me all day and jump in the cab in time to see me. They can't just show me a picture and say "see the camera told us your on your phone in the back."

oldngray

nowhere special
They can discipline you. They can not discharge you.

You're right it's not hard but they still have to do it and honestly they don't need a camera to be able to catch us anyways.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying cameras are harmless. I'm just saying being scared of what they may see on them is a fear ups wants us to have.

I don't play on my phone at every stop and if I do I'm in the back where the camera can see but no one else can. So let them come out and watch. They would have to follow me all day and jump in the cab in time to see me. They can't just show me a picture and say "see the camera told us your on your phone in the back."
Next step will be a camera in the cargo area too

Wally

I would think the union would investigate? The company doesn't spend big money unless they think there is a payoff.

35years

Gravy route
They said the gps was turned off....for years.
BS

Then they said it was on, but couldn't track us in real time.
BS

Then they said it would not be used for discipline.
BS

We have seen this play out before. They will use the footage for discharging drivers when paired with other evidence such as a crash.

Put an end to it now. It all needs to be spelled out completely.

No camera facing the driver. No body cams. No cameras in the package area. No vehicle camera footage can be used for discipline or discharge period.

Clear and unambiguous.

Wally

They said the gps was turned off....for years.
BS

Then they said it was on, but couldn't track us in real time.
BS

Then they said it would not be used for discipline.
BS

We have seen this play out before. They will use the footage for discharging drivers when paired with other evidence such as a crash.

Put an end to it now. It all needs to be spelled out completely.

No camera facing the driver. No body cams. No cameras in the package area. No vehicle camera footage can be used for discipline or discharge period.

Clear and unambiguous.
The union should generate some reports. Call distributors, do some undercover research, etc. Find out exactly why the company is investing in these units.

My feeling is, the selling point has nothing to do with safety, but rather compliance, that is production.

Wally

Some of the first things you see.

Optimize your assets

Help your drivers stick to exact routes and hours by setting alerts when vehicles enter restricted areas or operate beyond set times.

VEHICLE/EQUIPMENT MONITORING

Immediately* pull video evidence to investigate incidents when vehicles were damaged or equipment went missing.

Wally

Optimize your assets

Help your drivers stick to exact routes and hours by setting alerts when vehicles enter restricted areas or operate beyond set times.

Immediately* pull video evidence to investigate incidents when vehicles were damaged or equipment went missing.
I guarantee you, the selling point is production and has nothing to do with protecting the driver. If they cared about safety, they would have a/c in the cars and heated mirrors, not cameras.

Over70irregs

Don’t know if true but I’ve heard of lots of guys getting warning letters for in cab distractions? For taking drinks of water and stuff.
Tell them to pull over, Shift to park, four way flashers, fold in mirrors, set an orange cone, then………… take a sip of water or call the center for arbitrary stuff. Rinse then repeat.

Wally

Optimize your assets

...maximize service while saving time and money.