Anyone unhappy they Retired? Or are YA HAPPY?

The Milkman

The way I looked at it was the same, 18 years to break even. Your still young at 62 and able to travel quite a bit and enjoy life. When you get to 80, pretty much have everything you need and will not be traveling as much. So probably will be just putting money aside for the kids. Enjoy life while still young.

The key words are "Enjoy life while still Young" That was my thinking when I walked ( not limped) out the door at 55. Bought an RV traveled all over out west here, been to Alaska 2 times on 3 month trips, sleeping at the Arctic Circle. Doing all this while I can still tie my shoes and get dressed without any help. The years go fast once retired, I am glad I did what I did so far as I would hate to say years from now if I retired later in life, "I Should've, Could've, would've but I didn't. Now I am older and wish I did these things while I had the chance. Think of it this way, retire at 65 instead of 55, average life for us guys is maybe 76 or so? Think of how fast months seem to go buy...........at 65 that leaves you 132 of them if you live that long. Something to think about, I already have 111 months in the bank since I left behind me, months as you know once used are gone forever, and that folks is a long time

The Milkman

Two of my co-workers passed away within 6 months of retirement. You never know when your time will come, so enjoy it while still young.

One of my co workers died about a month short of retiring at UPS, and he was going to hang it up as soon as he was eligible. You never know, so much for planning your retirement if you don't reach the finish line which he was approaching, but fell short

Shiftless

I say do the math and life's calculations on your terms then act like an actuarist and make the decision!

Look out pool i am diving in!

Gotta Love Choices!

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
The way I looked at it was the same, 18 years to break even. Your still young at 62 and able to travel quite a bit and enjoy life. When you get to 80, pretty much have everything you need and will not be traveling as much. So probably will be just putting money aside for the kids. Enjoy life while still young.
it seems like a big difference ....1800-3200....1400 extra a month, by ya why wait an extra 8 years? plus with my pension and 401k I could invest that 1800 a month and probably make a better return than Uncle Sam can with low cost Vanguard funds. Even their retirement type funds have averaged 9-10 percent a year for last 10 years. ( i know that does not guarantee future results )

FUH.

The Milkman

it seems like a big difference ....1800-3200....1400 extra a month, by ya why wait an extra 8 years? plus with my pension and 401k I could invest that 1800 a month and probably make a better return than Uncle Sam can with low cost Vanguard funds. Even their retirement type funds have averaged 9-10 percent a year for last 10 years. ( i know that does not guarantee future results )

FUH.

Yes why wait? You may not live long enough to collect, it's a gamble. To me it's what is your time worth?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
My mom never got much, she went at 66, and died at 70. Lived the last few yrs in assisted living. Didnt want to move in with me as I was never home. Im taking it the second I am eligible.

oldngray

nowhere special
My mom never got much, she went at 66, and died at 70. Lived the last few yrs in assisted living. Didnt want to move in with me as I was never home. Im taking it the second I am eligible.

My mom was the same way. She had to retire at 64 because of her health and died at 67. She was able to stay at home because of home health care and my sisters are nurses who helped take care of her.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I think its sad, people work all their life and dont take what they have earned as soon as they can. I had a sister die at 52, a brother die at 59, and I am 59 now, but I have been more active all my life than they were. So I got fingers crossed, every day, Lol. But at this point I am healthy, no meds, and a whole lotta life left, and I am going to live it. I have no desire to travel, I just like being home. And drinking my coffee, going where I want, when I want, not caring what day it is, its all new to me and I love it. I am looking into being a dog placement person at a local rescue. But my husband says heck no, I will bring them all home.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

While there are certainly no guarantees, the general consensus among financial advisers is to wait as long as you can before starting to draw SS. My current plan is to start collecting at 67 but I hope to be in a position to wait until I am 70.

oldngray

nowhere special
I think its sad, people work all their life and dont take what they have earned as soon as they can. I had a sister die at 52, a brother die at 59, and I am 59 now, but I have been more active all my life than they were. So I got fingers crossed, every day, Lol. But at this point I am healthy, no meds, and a whole lotta life left, and I am going to live it. I have no desire to travel, I just like being home. And drinking my coffee, going where I want, when I want, not caring what day it is, its all new to me and I love it. I am looking into being a dog placement person at a local rescue. But my husband says heck no, I will bring them all home.

I agree. Far too often people work too long and die soon after they retire. Its a gamble but would you rather have more years when you are younger and healthier or wait for more money you may not live long enough to enjoy? You don't need a lot of money to keep busy and happy, and after you retire you will heal up and your health will improve.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I agree. Far too often people work too long and die soon after they retire. Its a gamble but would you rather have more years when you are younger and healthier or wait for more money you may not live long enough to enjoy? You don't need a lot of money to keep busy and happy, and after you retire you will heal up and your health will improve.
Thats how I feel. I have enough to live Ok. My family longevity makes me think to take it as soon as I can. After all we cant pass it on. I am hoping to way outlive all of them, but other than lifestyle, its luck, and heredity. And two of those you have no input.

oldngray

nowhere special
Thats how I feel. I have enough to live Ok. My family longevity makes me think to take it as soon as I can. After all we cant pass it on. I am hoping to way outlive all of them, but other than lifestyle, its luck, and heredity. And two of those you have no input.

I plan on spending my kid's inheritance and die with nothing left.

The Milkman

I plan on spending my kid's inheritance and die with nothing left.

I also want to croak Broke. What the heck? Bust your tail your whole life working, depending on how old you were when starting out at UPS working possibly 25-35 years it is then time to spend and enjoy your $$$ while you can. Just relaxing at home or farting around, traveling, it does not matter, you are released from the day to day stress that you dealt with at UPS. Take SS early and enjoy the extra $$$. Money will never buy you time on this earth. It is only good to you if you are still breathing. Recent Celebrity deaths in the news remind us of our mortality

I also want to croak Broke. What the heck? Bust your tail your whole life working, depending on how old you were when starting out at UPS working possibly 25-35 years it is then time to spend and enjoy your $$$ while you can. Just relaxing at home or farting around, traveling, it does not matter, you are released from the day to day stress that you dealt with at UPS. Take SS early and enjoy the extra $$$. Money will never buy you time on this earth. It is only good to you if you are still breathing. Recent Celebrity deaths in the news remind us of our mortality
How long have you been retired?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
my dad recently passed and left us kids a ton of money. In the last year of his life I asked him what he wanted to do, travel the world, buy anything he wanted , and he said NO. he did not want for anything. just ol fashioned. liked his vino an pasta and sitting out in the back yard.

he was happy to leave us the money so we could enjoy it and/or pass it along to our children and grandchildren.

i'll probably do the same. don't want for anything. occasional travel but staying home taking care of dogs and yard makes me very happy.