Anyone using a third-party solution instead of Garmin for HD/one-system?

every.delivery

Groundcloud is your top option. I don’t use it, but it’s impressive software.

Yeah heard about GC. Seems expensive. looking for something to convert my HD guys to GD after our overlap. Currently using garmins, and some apps. Guys are averaging 150-200 stops/day. Drivers S/P/Hr have plummeted and I’m hearing about it daily. Routes are 90-95% resi. No way in hell they’ll ever be able to think their way through their routes, despite spending a weekend on absolutely beautiful clusters.
Thanks for the response. Lmk if you know of any GC subscribers. Curious to see if it’s worth the initial chunk of HW investment, monthly sub fee and data plan!

STFXG

When you look at all you get for $40 per month for each route it’s not that bad. Buying the iPads is a big hit, but you get a lot of functionality with the software. You’re not just getting route optimizing with it. It’s your safety program, GPS, time clock, and it’s own messaging system as well. It also will automatically reroute and optimize if you skip stops or bounce around. If you haven’t watched all the videos yet, you should.
If you have high turn over or don’t want to spend the money on proper training, you can’t beat it. I’ve heard of one guy in a nearby terminal using it and he loves it, but I heard that second hand from another contractor in my building.
Im strongly considering it myself. Once they add fleet maintenance support tied to GPS mileage tracking I’ll pull the trigger.

every.delivery

This is sad...

This is when (from my past ex on BC) you say the best way is a map or something. If it’s my training program that is in question, please stay on track. The op wasn’t asking “what, OTHER than an app or technology has been used because nothing better is available”. Honestly, FXG is a super down-economy biz. Then you can get a hundred folks who’ll be willing to suffer through the drudge of the learning curve involved with maps and like. The economy is off the charts here, many similar jobs available. thus we’re looking for a softer landing.

Just curious if anyone has used technology to speed up, modernize and smooth out their on boarding procedures.

Not a silly question as in 2018:
21-30 yo’s (&most everyone else on the planet) use app’s / advancements in mobile/ mapping/technology to buy things on line, listen to music, get a ride somewhere, check their home security, pay their bills, watch cat videos, avoid their families on social media, find out how bad traffic is, check the weather, forward a cornflake casserole recipe, find a sweet room in some random guys house in Costa Rica, see if/ when their pkg is being delivered, AND remotely imitate the smartest person on the internet.

The op was asking if any ISP/IC has used such futuristic wizardry to put an XL file on a map? And if so, the pros/cons & price-value.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
What's wrong with the Garmin integration, where u link directly from the powerpad???

They pushed back the VRP elimination to June for some reason, since we're a standalone HD terminal.

every.delivery

Ye
What's wrong with the Garmin integration, where u link directly from the powerpad???

They pushed back the VRP elimination to June for some reason, since we're a standalone HD terminal.

Yeah our station is 100% overlapped since oct/17. Started the one system on apr 20/18. Our station brought in “experts” from our region to assist with the launch. We were using the same garmins w/ VRP, w/ no problem. The same models which were approved for one system didn’t work. Couldn’t connect to the same “approved” Garmin. Had drivers going out with 200 stops with list manifests. Our sequence clusters were on point thank god. But Drivers were BH because s/per/hr went down drastically. Hence, why we’re looking for success stories using a millennial-approved plotter/app.

OrioN

Oh fawk, you mean the current Garmin GPS units that's on the VRP system will not work with the newer vision system???

Most of the HD drivers bought their own units wif no reimbursement from the subcontractors

every.delivery

Ours and 60% of our station did not. That percentage is misleading because the other routes were just GD guys who have 90-95% the same biz stops anyway. There was one ISP who’s GARMINS actually worked. We had the same models (new), bought them from the same online seller, had the same firmware, had the same files installed on his and used the same test scanner to attempt upload. His were able to connect mine set not. I addressed the “experts” the morning of the launch and inquired WTF was the diff between using the same working Garmin models w/ VRP vs. one system. He asked my model # (Garmin drive 51 LM) he says “ oh yeah we had a 50/50 failure rate at our station.” I was like cool what was the problem. He say”oh, we never figured it out before launch”!!!!!????

FX actually addressed some one system launch issues on MGB, but those aren’t even the issues that our station had. “Make sure cable is connected properly, approved models etc”

instiches

Any update on the fix for the GPS units?

We are switching to single system soon, but I was trying a Garmin Drive 61 with the current VRP system and they weren't downloading. We also aren't able to download from the scanner to the GPS even though the button is active in the scanner.

OrioN

Hmmm my Garmin 50 series are still working on the VRP system. We're switching at the end of the month.

instiches

Are your drivers responsible if the iPad is damaged/broken by them? I could see myself moving to GroundCloud but the upfront hardware cost is huge. And for peak at HD, we add so many damn routes that we would need way too many iPads

It will be fine

Are your drivers responsible if the iPad is damaged/broken by them? I could see myself moving to GroundCloud but the upfront hardware cost is huge. And for peak at HD, we add so many damn routes that we would need way too many iPads
I put them in cases and on locking mounts. I only have a few on the road so far, but I definetly need to update my employee handbook. It would have to be negligence to charge the driver for damage, I’ll probably write that, make them acknowledge it and see how it goes. You can run the app on an iPhone for peak. I’m switching over from fleetmatics because the cost is lower and you get a lot of the compliance with hours, safety, pre and post trips etc. on top of the gps tracking and routing. My biggest issue with navigation has always been its static, now the driver can reroute on the fly fairly easily.

Chaos

I Am The Devil
That’s good and all, but experience says if that software fails your new hires will fail.

Old method ain’t broken so why fix it?

It will be fine

That’s good and all, but experience says if that software fails your new hires will fail.

Old method ain’t broken so why fix it?
New hires fail anyway, this should get them up and running faster. It just consolidates a bunch of administrative duties in one system. Even if the guys don’t use the routing I can easily track their hours, training, progress and gps throughout the day. I used to have hours tracking through payroll. Delivery info through the Fedex site. Gps live data through fleetsuite. Safety training through fleet response. This will hopefully make my operations a bit more streamlined.

every.delivery

I put them in cases and on locking mounts. I only have a few on the road so far, but I definetly need to update my employee handbook. It would have to be negligence to charge the driver for damage, I’ll probably write that, make them acknowledge it and see how it goes. You can run the app on an iPhone for peak. I’m switching over from fleetmatics because the cost is lower and you get a lot of the compliance with hours, safety, pre and post trips etc. on top of the gps tracking and routing. My biggest issue with navigation has always been its static, now the driver can reroute on the fly fairly easily.
Hey sorry to bomb in. Really curious to see what GC’s mobile app looks like. Could you show?

It will be fine

Hey sorry to bomb in. Really curious to see what GC’s mobile app looks like. Could you show?
For the driver or the contractor? There’s still plenty of kinks in the system, but the developer is pretty responsive to requests for improvements. I go live with all my drivers on Monday, we’ll see how it goes. There’s definitely a learning curve for the seasoned drivers. The driver side is pretty straightforward, the contractor side you need to access through a browser, so it’s not as accessible via mobile. I have a basic android tablet for use when I’m out and about and that’s been working well so far. You can PM me and I can try to do some screen grabs, don’t want to show my work areas publicly.

every.delivery

AMZN and a million smaller regional IC carriers have employees use phones to del., take pictures, and track their drivers Some drivers may have a problem. Ask Bezos, its the wave of the future..