Apocalypse 2012

vantexan

NO. Let's say you were at 54 hrs per week instead, and now you're at 35. The jump is even bigger, and this isn't a far-fetched scenario for many couriers. The only was you lose 10 hrs per week and make it up with the minimum is if you went down to 25 hrs per week. Do you really think that Uncle Scrooge is going to pay you to do nothing?

You have Paul Ryan levels of credibility.

Paul Ryan is the most respected member of Congress on fiscal matters. But I digress. If one is at 45 hrs, and drops to 25, the minimum doesn't make it worthwhile by giving you back 10 hrs. With 5 hrs of OT that's 12.5 hrs of regular time from 35 hrs to 45 hrs. And the fact remains you are getting 45 hrs which is much easier to make a living on. Anyone coming on here and telling us we still have it good because we get a guaranteed 35 hrs is a few bricks short of a full load. A consistent 35 hrs a week, especially if your spouse doesn't have a good job, will bankrupt a lot of people. Just because the company guarantees 35 doesn't mean they should strive to get us as close as possible to it. That's not a company that cares about it's people. Getting us to X amount an hour and then doing a big reset because they don't like paying X is pathetic. If I'm getting a consistent 40 with the occasional OT I'll be fine. At 35 I'll be hanging on week to week. I have to work 42 hrs to make what a topped out courier makes on 35. And the topped out guy on 35 isn't living it up because, like most people, he has silly things like car payments, kid's braces, and a mortgage. I've never made enough in these last 14 years to be comfortable extending myself on credit and FedEx has made damn sure I never will. The ultimate irony is I can take my little cut short pension to another country and live better than I can working fulltime for FedEx in the U.S.. I wonder if those values were taught by the Marines!!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Paul Ryan is the most respected member of Congress on fiscal matters. But I digress. If one is at 45 hrs, and drops to 25, the minimum doesn't make it worthwhile by giving you back 10 hrs. With 5 hrs of OT that's 12.5 hrs of regular time from 35 hrs to 45 hrs. And the fact remains you are getting 45 hrs which is much easier to make a living on. Anyone coming on here and telling us we still have it good because we get a guaranteed 35 hrs is a few bricks short of a full load. A consistent 35 hrs a week, especially if your spouse doesn't have a good job, will bankrupt a lot of people. Just because the company guarantees 35 doesn't mean they should strive to get us as close as possible to it. That's not a company that cares about it's people. Getting us to X amount an hour and then doing a big reset because they don't like paying X is pathetic. If I'm getting a consistent 40 with the occasional OT I'll be fine. At 35 I'll be hanging on week to week. I have to work 42 hrs to make what a topped out courier makes on 35. And the topped out guy on 35 isn't living it up because, like most people, he has silly things like car payments, kid's braces, and a mortgage. I've never made enough in these last 14 years to be comfortable extending myself on credit and FedEx has made damn sure I never will. The ultimate irony is I can take my little cut short pension to another country and live better than I can working fulltime for FedEx in the U.S.. I wonder if those values were taught by the Marines!!

Paul Ryan, respected? Is this the same Paul Ryan who couldn't explain the math behind the Romney/Ryan Plan? Just checking to see if we're talking about the same guy.

vantexan

Paul Ryan, respected? Is this the same Paul Ryan who couldn't explain the math behind the Romney/Ryan Plan? Just checking to see if we're talking about the same guy.

Ryan is known as a policy wonk. There isn't another member of Congress as knowledgeable on fiscal matters. It's the reason Romney picked him, to show he is serious about getting our debt under control. I thought he did fine in the debate, as opposed to the grinning bobble head next to him. I guess the Repubs should do commercials like the Dems, showing Granny being thrown off the cliff. One thing is for certain, no matter who wins, if they don't curb the spending we are in serious trouble.