applying for an amazon position

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Amazon said they want a city with at least a million people with a supply of tech workers. For now they are teasing several cities to see which one will give them the best deal. Since the first HQ is on west coast I think the second will be east or more midwest. More likely midwest because of lower costs.

Any attempt to predict where Amazon goes is guesswork. All we know is they want a population of a certain size and lots of tech people.

oldngray

nowhere special
Any attempt to predict where Amazon goes is guesswork. All we know is they want a population of a certain size and lots of tech people.

And with as much as the winning city will pay to get them to move there. Massive tax breaks for certain plus other intangibles. Including possible back door deals.

MAKAVELI

A reasonably large city with a college presence to provide young (and less expensive) tech workers fits the bill.
No it doesn't cuz these type of workers are highly skilled and in high demand. There just isn't a huge supply of top talent in this field.

59 Dano

No it doesn't cuz these type of workers are highly skilled and in high demand. There just isn't a huge supply of top talent in this field.

You're reading far too much into this. Oldngray is right. If you want a steady supply of young tech workers, you locate in a reasonably large city with a decent sized university. Amazon will throw some money at the local college(s) to establish some type of program designed to prepare students to have whatever skills Amazon wants when they graduate.

Amazon already has their top 10 choices in mind and the only thing left now is to negotiate incentive packages.

MAKAVELI

Amazon doesn't need top talent. Just a supply of good enough office drones.
Nope not just office drones.
Everything Amazon wants for HQ2, its massive new North American headquarters
4. Labor force. Hiring 50,000 skilled workers is no easy task, and Amazon wants to make sure its new headquarters is in an area with a readily available pool of talent. The company is prioritizing sites with a “strong university system.” It’s asked cities to provide a list of universities and community colleges with “relevant degrees” plus the number of students to graduate with those degrees over the past three years. Amazon also wants information on computer-science programs in the local and regional K-12 education system

Oldfart

Nobody has 50k qualified workers. No city has enough college graduates to throw that many workers at Amazon anytime soon. A majority of their workers will relocate to the chosen city. If the numbers are like Seatle, it will mean 50k Amazon workers and almost that many related jobs. Some city's infrastructure is about to get tested.

MAKAVELI

Nobody has 50k qualified workers. No city has enough college graduates to throw that many workers at Amazon anytime soon. A majority of their workers will relocate to the chosen city. If the numbers are like Seatle, it will mean 50k Amazon workers and almost that many related jobs. Some city's infrastructure is about to get tested.
And if they don't have enough ready available housing for these workers cost for the locals will go up just as they did in Seattle.

MAKAVELI

You're reading far too much into this. Oldngray is right. If you want a steady supply of young tech workers, you locate in a reasonably large city with a decent sized university. Amazon will throw some money at the local college(s) to establish some type of program designed to prepare students to have whatever skills Amazon wants when they graduate.

Amazon already has their top 10 choices in mind and the only thing left now is to negotiate incentive packages.
I'm not reading into anything. Most of the top tech companies have their headquarters based in California there's a reason for that.

59 Dano

I'm not reading into anything. Most of the top tech companies have their headquarters based in California there's a reason for that.

I'm sure the people HQ'd there think it's the best place ever. I'm sure that the people HQ'd in WA think it's the best place ever. And so on and so on. There's little that's done there that can't be done elsewhere.

People in Huntsville, AL make the same boast about their aerospace and biotech industries. It was a little podunk town with a minor link to aerospace when the government decided to relocate a chunk of its rocket program there. It had no links to biotechnology when someone had the idea to create a large research park there.

It could have been the Nashville area, it could have been St. Louis, it could have been fifty other places and there would be little difference in the outcome. With a project of this size, you build it and staff it with the people you want to grow it and the rest of the world will come around.

MAKAVELI

I'm sure the people HQ'd there think it's the best place ever. I'm sure that the people HQ'd in WA think it's the best place ever. And so on and so on. There's little that's done there that can't be done elsewhere.

People in Huntsville, AL make the same boast about their aerospace and biotech industries. It was a little podunk town with a minor link to aerospace when the government decided to relocate a chunk of its rocket program there. It had no links to biotechnology when someone had the idea to create a large research park there.

It could have been the Nashville area, it could have been St. Louis, it could have been fifty other places and there would be little difference in the outcome. With a project of this size, you build it and staff it with the people you want to grow it and the rest of the world will come around.
I never said it couldn't be done anywhere else but wherever Amazon chooses it's going to have to be a city that offers similar lifestyle and weather to to California to attract top talent.

MAKAVELI

California dreaming - Corporate culture in Silicon Valley | Accenture Outlook