APWA is controlled by a Union-busting Lawyer

over9five

Staff member
The strike did gain us something. UPS now knows that we can strike. Hopefully they'll always remember that...

Of course, any negotiating power like that is GONE if we lose Teamster clout.

sawdusttv

The strike did gain us something. UPS now knows that we can strike. Hopefully they'll always remember that...

I don't know where you've been, but the teamsters have been losing there clout for years, to the point that all the clout they have now is deceitful lip serves.

over9five

Staff member
"deceitful lip serves."

I think you meant "deceitful lip service", which, for all you know, is exactly what APWA gives you.

And that's what scares me. An untried, untested, hell UNKNOWN entity that wants to represent the largest union employee workforce in the US.

Maybe if they started out just a little smaller, and showed us what they can do. (and who they are...).

sawdusttv

Over9,
Wake up, "THEY" are you, "THEY" are me, "THEY" are the UPS hourly employees standing together to form our own UNION. "THEY" are not some outside group that is trying to take over. Pick any APWA member that you like, from the president on down, call UPS Corp. and ask, you will find that they are UPS hourly employees just like me and you. The APWA will have one contract, one pension, one health care for all members. No more of the division that we have with the teamsters.

30andout

You mean to say the teamsters are the only union that can call on its body to strike?????

Fredless

APWA Hater
Geee...what did yall do to poor little Submarine??

Obnoxious whining on T-Net.

Better than an APWA in cheerleader tights. You guys are really showing your ass by this non stop spewing of propaganda...and don't even say the IBT does it just as bad, no **** shirlock - I get the letters and mags like everyone else.

Thank GOD you haven't made it into Florida.

brett636

Better than an APWA in cheerleader tights. You guys are really showing your ass by this non stop spewing of propaganda...and don't even say the IBT does it just as bad, no **** shirlock - I get the letters and mags like everyone else.

Thank GOD you haven't made it into Florida.

:lol: :lol: :lol: bwhahahahahaha so true!

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE
I've reviewed all of the available information about APWA posted on this site and have decided to stick with the teamsters. Its difficult to make a decision about this. Its difficult to find any source of information that isn't completely biased to one side or the other. Both sides only scream about how bad the other side is and dont talk about there side. The teamsters have had some problems. I'd rather stick with the devil I know then to go with an unproven new union.
Each year the Central States fund is in a spiral downward with the funding and even after a couple of good years in investments but when you pay out more than you receive its obvious that unless you keep cutting pension and insurance benefits you will eventually drain the bank and thats what we are experiencing now ! I have paid the teamsters over 20+ years for my security and this is what i get for my $. Everyone that hasn`t seen this coming is not looking at all the information. Funding minus the investment for 2005 was at 47.2% 2004 was at 50%+ and thats after making 13+% Erisa report via Central States shows the numbers and estimated $34 million in administrative cost for 2005 ? Thats 2% for managing the fund ! After each election you have lost ground on insurance and pension cuts. 2008 will be a very interesting contract with the teamsters negotiating. The fund has told all the locals that if they don`t get 8% increase in funds for next contract we will not be able to participate anymore in Central States ? So that shows you that the fund is close to the bottom of being taken over by the government which they can`t cover that nut ! Also get ready for the first ever payout of your pocket for insurance per month due to the lack of funding there too !

Cole

The APWA can't start out slow and show you what they can do, because it must be a single bargaining unit etc...

I have to ask, do you not think you and us fellow UPSers are capable of running a Union? Because that is who will be running the show.

So you wouldn't vote to give the union, be it Teamsters or APWA etc...the clout they needed to make the company get serious, regardless of what the company was doing/ asking for?! How about if they wanted to eliminate seniority? Throw out excessive overtime etc...?

705red

Browncafe Steward
The APWA can't start out slow and show you what they can do, because it must be a single bargaining unit etc...

I have to ask, do you not think you and us fellow UPSers are capable of running a Union? Because that is who will be running the show.

So you wouldn't vote to give the union, be it Teamsters or APWA etc...the clout they needed to make the company get serious, regardless of what the company was doing/ asking for?! How about if they wanted to eliminate seniority? Throw out excessive overtime etc...?
I think that we have alot of good quailfied upsers that could handle running the teamsters, but a union made up of upsers only would not have any weight. You need the diverness of all the trades as one, thats were bargaining power comes from. In 97 look at all the support we received across the nation from all unions. The problem i have is i honestly beleive that ups is behind the apwa, and i love a good fight but i choose to fight and help make the teamsters a stronger union, by holding them accountable.

over9five

Staff member
I, too, believe that Apwa was started, and will be controlled by UPS.
Everytime I think of Apwa, I see one of the safety committee weanies as my new BA!

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE
I think that we have alot of good quailfied upsers that could handle running the teamsters, but a union made up of upsers only would not have any weight. You need the diverness of all the trades as one, thats were bargaining power comes from. In 97 look at all the support we received across the nation from all unions. The problem i have is i honestly beleive that ups is behind the apwa, and i love a good fight but i choose to fight and help make the teamsters a stronger union, by holding them accountable.
The accountability will be a much reduced benefit package with the teamsters and thats what you call accountablility and who are the ones to pay for it ? Not you teamsters thats for sure !

705red

Browncafe Steward
The accountability will be a much reduced benefit package with the teamsters and thats what you call accountablility and who are the ones to pay for it ? Not you teamsters thats for sure !
Im a ups teamster thru and thru, ups does pay a little more into the pension now, but how about in the 60s, 70s, 80, and 90s, look to see who carried the teamster pension plans then!

Cole

Everytime I think of Apwa, I see one of the safety committee weanies as my new BA!

LOL! If eveyone was appointed then that would be a HUGE worry, but officers will be democratically elected by Mr & Mrs. or Ms. Brown, so if you vote in a safety committee weanie, that's your fault.

If we the upsers held the company's feet to the contract regarding saftey committee's it would be more union oriented. They didn't like when I went to meetings because I am not good at going along to get along, as alot of people and ba's are. I would hammer points they don't like to discuss, which is largely any issue where they would have to spend money.

I imagine the same one's who stand up for you dailey, will be the one's standing up for you no matter who the union is.

705red

Browncafe Steward
The mafia.
It was a serious question, but i guess we all know how you buckle under pressure already. You show pure ignorance for your fellow teamster brothers and sisters when you crossed the picket line and withdrew from the teamsters over these issues, but when your asked a serious question you look for the easy way out. So i dont want to hear anymore crying on the pension funding until you do a little homework, alright!

Cole

Also there again regarding "UPS backing this".

Even if hypothetically they wanted this to happen, they can't legally support it, and on top of that, they sure can't vote on the officers, etc...so if they were in support of it, it would only be pie in their face, because those that are in their face now, will be even more in their faces for our futures.

sawdusttv

It was a serious question, but i guess we all know how you buckle under pressure already. You show pure ignorance for your fellow teamster brothers and sisters when you crossed the picket line and withdrew from the teamsters over these issues, but when your asked a serious question you look for the easy way out. So i dont want to hear anymore crying on the pension funding until you do a little homework, alright!

We have all heard the story of the frieght guys carrying the funds years ago, maybe back in the 60's and part of the 70's but from then forward it has been the UPSer that has carried the pension funds.
I see where you are going with this one, but it doesn't hold water.
Any of these guys that carried the funds back then, well lets look at it.
They were in there late 60's when they retired, some were probable in their 70's, so, that was 30 or 40 years ago, so these guys would have to be well over 100 years old to still be participating in the retirement funds.
So, why do we keep hearing this same arguement over and over. The frieght guys that carried the funds way back when are dead and gone. The only people that have carried the funds in our life time are UPSERS.