Are retirees being recruited as ball busters?

OPTION3

Did I say that I was worried about it? I said "I have thought about....". Big difference.
11302_760755850649390_4323572420671982633_n.jpg

rod

Retired 22 years
I have thought about coming back as a Peak helper after I retire but have no desire to come back as a driver.

Hasn't even retired yet but is already thinking about coming back. Me thinks old upstate will be one of those 40 or 50 plus year losers you read about every once in awhile.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
To each his own on coming back as a helper. Personally, after being here 38 years, I don't think I would be able to come back and work for helper's wages, and be bossed around by a 22 year old who has worked for this outfit for 1 year. I guess I have trouble with authoratah. lol

aiian

My uncle got the call last week. Retired almost five years ago.

Apparently he really enjoyed the laugh.

I was talking to a local recent retiree yesterday and he said he hadn't heard a word.

purplesky

Looks like the UPS dream of a low wage disposable revolving door type workforce is starting to backfire.

The lifers workforce at UPS, both management and Teamsters have always been the glue that holds Brown together.

Take a look at the PT youth at a large hub? Look how many Upsers ride the bus because they can't afford a car?

How will millennials be able to drive for UPS if they can't look at their cell phones? :eek:

Well it's true got a call from my old supervisor who I haven't seen for 2 years.The same guy who gave PCMs every morning telling me how terrible I was and how lucky I was to have the job that others would kill for is now asking me to come back and drive for p peak season.These are the same people who couldn't wait for me to hit the bricks telling me they can't get anyone else but a broken down old retiree to do what I couldn't wait to get from.Of course I said hell yes .Where do I sign

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
Ok, so let's say these retired drivers come back for peak this year. What routes are they going to run? Is management going to try to remove a current employee from his bid route so that the retiree can run the route he ran before retirement? I'll be damned if I'm gonna get bumped by a temporary employee, no matter how much seniority he used to have!

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I wouldn't get too worked up yet.I don't see too many happily retired guys coming back for another season of abuse

I have no interest, unless I could write my own ticket:

Nothing but air.

Nothing bigger than a letter.

No more than (but guaranteed) four hours a day.

I don't have to trim my mustache.

No uniform other than a jacket.

Use my own truck with mileage (4wd, good heat and good radio).

Thirty bucks an hour.

Future

Victory Ride
I have no interest, unless I could write my own ticket:

Nothing but air.

Nothing bigger than a letter.

No more than (but guaranteed) four hours a day.

I don't have to trim my mustache.

No uniform other than a jacket.

Use my own truck with mileage (4wd, good heat and good radio).

Thirty bucks an hour.
You will get nothing Mr. and like it! lol

O

OLDMAN3

Well it's true got a call from my old supervisor who I haven't seen for 2 years.The same guy who gave PCMs every morning telling me how terrible I was and how lucky I was to have the job that others would kill for is now asking me to come back and drive for p peak season.These are the same people who couldn't wait for me to hit the bricks telling me they can't get anyone else but a broken down old retiree to do what I couldn't wait to get from.Of course I said hell yes .Where do I sign
Time for payback...
Come in for 1 day and get injured.
File a workers comp claim.
But seriously, these drivers will be a huge injury risk.

rod

Retired 22 years
Ok, so let's say these retired drivers come back for peak this year. What routes are they going to run? Is management going to try to remove a current employee from his bid route so that the retiree can run the route he ran before retirement? I'll be damned if I'm gonna get bumped by a temporary employee, no matter how much seniority he used to have!

Then again aren't you the one who won't come to work when it snows? Maybe that is why they need to rehire the old drivers----at least they could get "some" work out of them.

Ms.PacMan

Here, too. They have contacted drivers, clerks and ft supes. Offering top rate. They have talked about just giving them excess resis from their old routes and possibly the pickups.

They have put on 4 new drivers and need to hire 5 more. The sad part is, for every two drivers they train only one makes it past his 30 without an accident or disqualifying him/herself.

I see now why they didn't offer to buy out the 30,000 drivers eligible to retire across the country.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
We had one of our retired supervisors come back to run the Preload last year during peak and after about 2 weeks he hung it up. The materiel he had to work with wasnt to his liking

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

One of our on-cars retired last summer. They had the cajones to ask him to come back as helper coordinator last Peak. I heard he laughed for at least a minute.