Are retirees being recruited as ball busters?

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
Then again aren't you the one who won't come to work when it snows? Maybe that is why they need to rehire the old drivers----at least they could get "some" work out of them.
They're the ones who stayed home on snow days and show us we wouldn't get in trouble for it. When you live in the south and it snows, everybody gets a snow day! School is canceled for an inch or two of snow. What few plows are available only clear the main arteries. No one down here knows how to drive in the snow except for the northerners who try to "show us how it's done where they come from" by driving too fast around those of us just struggling to stay on the road.
My employer provided me with a Freightliner p700 automatic with single wheels on the rear and an open differential. Once one wheel starts spinning, you're stuck. There are no snow tires, chains, sand bags, etc provided so when it snows, of course I stay home as do most of the other drivers. That's just how we do it down here.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
They're the ones who stayed home on snow days and show us we wouldn't get in trouble for it. When you live in the south and it snows, everybody gets a snow day! School is canceled for an inch or two of snow. What few plows are available only clear the main arteries. No one down here knows how to drive in the snow except for the northerners who try to "show us how it's done where they come from" by driving too fast around those of us just struggling to stay on the road.
My employer provided me with a Freightliner p700 automatic with single wheels on the rear and an open differential. Once one wheel starts spinning, you're stuck. There are no snow tires, chains, sand bags, etc provided so when it snows, of course I stay home as do most of the other drivers. That's just how we do it down here.

Wimps.;)

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Down here in the south, we might get 2 ice storms a year and it might snow every other year. UPS doesn't give you a "get out of jail free" card if you brave the elements and come in when the weather service is urging people to stay off the roads because of treacherous conditions. We get weather like that so rarely, that the highway department doesn't have the equipment to maintain the roads properly. If you get on an overpass with sheet ice on it and you slide into the guardrail, they will charge you with an accident and try to fire you for it if it is serious enough, just like it was a bright summer day. I admit I took a couple of "snow days" in my career. That's why God made option 3. lol.

Camping Nana

a driver would have to be in a real bad spot to consider coming back here for peak.
I'd rather just grab some popcorn and watch the burning ship sink.

And will you have the same attitude when that "burning ship" sinks and takes your pension with it? Those who have their pension in a Teamster trust will be in a world of hurt if UPS ever goes under. Right now UPS contributions are funding not only their retired drivers but retired Teamsters from other companies that have gone under.

OPTION3

And will you have the same attitude when that "burning ship" sinks and takes your pension with it? Those who have their pension in a Teamster trust will be in a world of hurt if UPS ever goes under. Right now UPS contributions are funding not only their retired drivers but retired Teamsters from other companies that have gone under.
So...YOU volunteering to help out EXTRA during PEAK?

OPTION3

No, I'm not -- however I have no desire to see the UPS ship sink and burn.... Enjoying retirement that that pension to much! :balloon:
The ship will “sink and burn” when the captain, after repeated warnings of an ICEBERG straight ahead by the lookout, says “damn the iceberg full speed ahead”. You or any other retiree coming back off of retirement does nothing but add someone who can hand out life preservers.....;)

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
Down here in the south, we might get 2 ice storms a year and it might snow every other year. UPS doesn't give you a "get out of jail free" card if you brave the elements and come in when the weather service is urging people to stay off the roads because of treacherous conditions. We get weather like that so rarely, that the highway department doesn't have the equipment to maintain the roads properly. If you get on an overpass with sheet ice on it and you slide into the guardrail, they will charge you with an accident and try to fire you for it if it is serious enough...
Exactly!! It's just not worth the risk for the 2 or 3 days at the most that we get bad weather. I haven't used a sick day for anything other than weather related issues in over 6 years so I don't feel a bit guilty calling out.
Last year, one of our drivers tried calling out on a snow day and the sup guilted him into coming in to work anyway. He totaled his personal vehicle on the way to work when he hit an icy patch in the road. Like I said before, it's just not worth the risk down here.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I spent 4 years in Texas----it is funny watching y'all try to drive on snow and ice.

News flash-----you are supposed to SLOW DOWN when driving on snow and ice. :)

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
They can have them trucks with just 2 back tires. Id take an older truck with dual back tires on both sides way before id take a new truck with only 2 back tires in the rear. Those are scary to drive when its dry out and if it rains even scarier. Been there done that, hate that bone headed idea lol.

kingOFchester

We are seeing the destruction derived from a companies mentality of "cutting the fat" for many years. Cutting routes, running on a skeleton crew and not replacing full timers. This practice of the last few years has caused the predicament we are in. We can't hire drivers fast enough. Drivers are retiring and or getting hurt or Dq'd faster then we are getting new ones. After last years disastrous peak, I know some drivers are planning on getting out in the next month or so. Bring back whoever you want. A little late. Rome wasn't built in a day, and a peak staff isn't thrown together a handful of weeks before peak.

The chickens are coming home to roost.