Are retirees being recruited as ball busters?

O

OLDMAN3

He must have forgotten his diad in the dash holder.
You retired guys...
Don't forget your metal clip to secure the paper delivery records to the clipboard.
Don't forget to bring 2 pens,black ink only.
First initial, Last name
Count your COD cash and initial your envelope.
You are now allowed to leave some boxes without a signature...Really!

Last edited by a moderator:

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
You retired guys...
Don't forget your metal clip to secure the paper delivery records to the clipboard.
Don't forget to bring 2 pens,black ink only.
First initial, Last name
Count your COD cash and initial your envelope.
You are now allowed to leave some boxes without a signature...Really!

Scary thing is it was that way when I started.

oldupsman

077edc11ec321847e75870fe779809c1.jpg

Just to get you up to speed..Blue Label Air is now called UPS 2nd Day Air.
And we get to wear shorts!
"best service and lowest rates"

I drove that car. Had a great field of vision. Nice big tray upfront for your next 15 stops.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Don't forget your metal clip to secure the paper delivery records to the clipboard
Those are called banker's clips for some reason. I've still got an old clip board, that was worn down to about 50% of its original size along with a clip somewhere in my garage. Diad? I've never even held one, let alone use it. I used one of those clips to jump across my starter once in my old P400. I remember when the company started this new service called air. I remember when the company used to send your pants out to be cleaned and pressed. Damn, I'm older than dirt. lol

O

OLDMAN3

You guys are brining back old memories I hadn't thought about for years.Thanks for the new set of nightmares.
Nightmares....
-Remember wood shelves and bulkhead doors, and getting slivers under your fingernails?
-The metal support bands on the wood shelves would be razor sharp.
-Remember how padlocks on the doors would freeze your fingers in the winter?
-Some of those old package cars would barely spit out any heat in the winter and would leak cold air in right at your feet.

oldupsman

Nightmares....
-Remember wood shelves and bulkhead doors, and getting slivers under your fingernails?
-Some of those old package cars would barely spit out any heat in the winter and would leak cold air in right at your feet.

And we put up with it. Why? In my case I was 23 years old, single, and making top rate after 30 days. 5.89 an hour.
Man I was living large. Still waiting for my phone call. Guess they don't want me back.

rod

Retired 22 years
Nightmares....

How about being used to loading a P-600 (back before pre-load was invented) in then walking into a P-400 and hitting your head on the door frame. That used to really smart. The only time I would use a padlock was when I left the building to my first stop ----then it was off until the last stop before returning to the building. I also remember using those old steel 2-wheel carts and all of a sudden one of the rubber wheel threads would fall off.

And we put up with it. Why? In my case I was 23 years old, single, and making top rate after 30 days. 5.89 an hour.
Man I was living large. Still waiting for my phone call. Guess they don't want me back.
I'm sure they will call you back for $5.89 hr

rod

Retired 22 years

I remember making like $6.35 an hour. I still have a few old receipts from back then. It cost me 16 cents a gallon to fill my fuel oil tank to heat my house, my house payment was $89.00 a month (that included property tax and insurance). and my elect bill was around 8 bucks a month. Between my UPS wages and what my wife made working for the State we were pulling in about 10 bucks an hour and had money coming out our ears. We saved enough the first year we were married to put $10,000 down on an $18,000 lake home. Lived in it for 5 years and sold it for $36,000. Bought a house for $33,000 in the country with 21 acres. Sold that later for $165,000. Life is good.

O

OLDMAN3

Can I put in your name to be my helper?
Here is a picture of the "new" drivers hired for peak, yeah we are ready!...
old-guys.png

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
Can I put in your name to be my helper?
Here is a picture of the "new" drivers hired for peak, yeah we are ready!...
old-guys.png
Actually, they look a lot like the helpers UPS has given me the past few peak seasons. I kid you not, they were all pushing 60. Granted, the conversation throughout the day is much more enjoyable with the older folks, as they actually know how to converse, but speed is not one of their virtues at that age. The younger ones are much faster, but you are lucky to get a response more than a few syllables long when you ask a question or make a comment.

DJA

I just retired 3 weeks ago. My body is slowly starting to fill better. No more peak season for me. Now I call it
"The Holidays" !!!