Are skyscrapers in major cities their own route?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
They call that UPS driver The Postman------------are we still suppose to believe it?
E27SDfSaFj9SaEm-eNTrz4CL7GM.jpg

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Its definitely a diad 3... i recognize the blue keys and its the flat rectangular shape. I hated that diad and they kept it around too many years for peak. Remember having to get EDD at access points in the building because it wasn't able yet to receive it OTA.
Actually I don't think it was called EDD yet either... manifest is what it was called.

You are correct. It is a DIAD 3.

You can also see the blue stylus on the top.

1456470597695.jpg

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
We had centers in our building that delivered downtown Houston. I knew one of the drivers and I asked him how they worked it. They had 2 drivers on a car. 1 rode the jumpseat like a helper. When they got downtown, each driver had their own skyscraper, and each building had a big lockbox in the basement. They came to the first building and they took everything that went to that building and put it in the lockbox. The driver for that building would go back and forth all day and reload his cart. The second driver went to his building and delivered out of his PC all day. They would meet up at the end of the day and drive back to the building. One would drive to the area and the other would drive back to the building everyday so they would both qualify for safe driving.

rod

Retired 22 years
Can you explain the logo on hus right side?

I kind of remember some shirts with the logo on the right side. Whats got me puzzled is I can kind of understand if this picture was taken shortly after the first tower was hit when everyone was hoping it was just a bad airplane accident but this picture is after the 2nd one had been hit. Why would anyone be walking down the street just whistling while you work knowing by then we were under attack. I do hope this guy finally "got a clue".

Big Arrow Down...D

Leave the gun,take the cannoli
I kind of remember some shirts with the logo on the right side. Whats got me puzzled is I can kind of understand if this picture was taken shortly after the first tower was hit when everyone was hoping it was just a bad airplane accident but this picture is after the 2nd one had been hit. Why would anyone be walking down the street just whistling while you work knowing by then we were under attack. I do hope this guy finally "got a clue".
Rod it's BS we all got called off the road...especially in the WTC center.

I have heard that the Mall of America has 2 drivers that bring cattle cars and there are 4 walkers that deliver. I thought the drivers each did a double trip too.
When I left UPS in 2013, the MOA was two side opening (soft side) feeders that were driven over by feeder drivers (obviously). Then 3-4 drivers would deliver the MOA out of the trailers depending on volume. These were full paid drivers that never set foot in a package car. They drove their personal vehicles to the MOA, DIADs were downloaded and punched in and put in the trailers. Things may have changed since I left, but I doubt it.

rod

Retired 22 years
When I left UPS in 2013, the MOA was two side opening (soft side) feeders that were driven over by feeder drivers (obviously). Then 3-4 drivers would deliver the MOA out of the trailers depending on volume. These were full paid drivers that never set foot in a package car. They drove their personal vehicles to the MOA, DIADs were downloaded and punched in and put in the trailers. Things may have changed since I left, but I doubt it.

interesting

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I have commercial highrises 28+ floors on my route in a major city. The air is done by air drivers, but I get the air for one of them and the misc air for the other businesses on my route. Then a different air driver does my resi NDAs and my business savers in the area I don't get to until the afternoon.

I spend the first half of the day in the highrise area, then the second half doing ghetto res and ghetto corner stores, etc.

Its really nice being in climate control and out of the rain half the day and nice getting paid to wait for elevators and traffic. The tradeoffs are having to handtruck stuff instead of just leaving it on someone's dock and your truck's heat never really warming up until afternoon.

The other nice thing is in the summer the truck doesn't bake all day. It's in a garage or underground until 1pm, then 2 to 3 I park it under trees in the shade with the doors open for lunch. It heats up a little from 3 to 4:30 then cools down again while parked inside for pickups, then the heat of the sun is gone.

The funny thing is there is one building on my route where it gets the following:
1) air driver for NDAs
2) me for regular deliveries
3) neighboring route's driver for pickups
4) a different air driver for a 7:30pm air run of a few businesses and a letterbox
...so one building gets 4 different UPS drivers each day. That's a heck of a lot different than a little town I used to do where I did everything without any other guy coming into the town.
So ups is pretty much getting a deal by using air drivers to do everything that a regular driver should be doing...

DriverNerd

The MOA does have 4 drivers I believe, and a part time supervisor who works out at the mall to help the drivers. Only 2 drivers actually drive anything...cattle cars for pickups. The other 2 drivers drive their own cars to the mall and home directly. I've shuttled them packages before, but never helped deliver.

This is just what I've heard, not exact information.