Are the Teamsters really working for you?

30andout

NO pension or insurance after 34 years? Work another 10 years? Something isn't making any sense here. Were you full time for 34 or was like 20 of that part time? I know that they have cut back some sense I retired but I just can't believe it takes 45 years of service to retire with benifits now. If this is true you should of retired 4 years ago like a friend of mine did. He had his 30 in gets everything I do except he only gets $2,978 a month for some reason.
Nope, 14 years full time clerk, 20 years driving. I have paid the reamsters dues the entire time, but they can't help me.

DS

Fenderbender
OK I will say it.Yes I am a Teamster and proud of it. I retired at 53 .
You are still a teamster?
Still paying dues?
Well rod,you are probobly the only one in this thread
that isn`t likely to wake up with a horses head in your bed,
or a bullet in your mail box,including me.
I`ve personally had it with them.

Hoser...at one time the teamsters greed had not trickled
down to the point where it affected us as in rods case,
nowadays its representation without representation,and I`ll
take that case of beer, you got a problem with that?

Gman24

NO pension or insurance after 34 years? Work another 10 years? Something isn't making any sense here. Were you full time for 34 or was like 20 of that part time? I know that they have cut back some sense I retired but I just can't believe it takes 45 years of service to retire with benifits now. If this is true you should of retired 4 years ago like a friend of mine did. He had his 30 in gets everything I do except he only gets $2,978 a month for some reason.

Rod, I went from being able to retire at 30 years of service at 50 years of age. Now, I can't retire till I am 62 and not be penalized. Tell me you wouldn;t be ticked a little. I'm sorry but you guys who have not been affected by this, and have allready retired have no dog in the fight now. No disrespect is meant in saying that. But, it is really easy for you to sit back and make that statement, since it doesn't affect you at all.

satellitedriver

That's the funniest link I've seen in awhile.
I am so glad I could bring you some laughter.
Tis the season of joy.
With your sense of humor, you should love this one. It will have you grabbing your sides and rolling down the aisle.
For every $1.00 UPS gives the union for benefits, the union gives the present UPS employees less than 50 cents.
Now, that's what I call a joke.

satellitedriver

Rod, I went from being able to retire at 30 years of service at 50 years of age. Now, I can't retire till I am 62 and not be penalized. Tell me you wouldn;t be ticked a little. I'm sorry but you guys who have not been affected by this, and have allready retired have no dog in the fight now. No disrespect is meant in saying that. But, it is really easy for you to sit back and make that statement, since it doesn't affect you at all.
Hey Gman,
It may not affect him now,but if he is in Central States it may affect him in the future. I also mean no disrespect to his service. He earned everything that he is recieving. I hope the teamsters will be able to continue giving him what he as earned.
As for UPSERS that have decades invested in UPS and what the union is willing to "GIVE" to future retiring UPSERS is another story.
That is why I gave myself a Christmas present and joined APWA.

tieguy

Banned
If you are in Central States like I am then the future does not look good.
I do agree we need our own union ! We need one contract for all. The 97
strike was all about ups employees hitting the streets to save Central States.

I'm splitting this part out because it appears you recognize that the teamsters were trying to save CS or more inclusively the entire multi-employer pension system. If so then you would have to agree UPS was trying to eliminate the multi- plans.

The problem is simple. Theres more going out the bottom of the bucket than theres going in. Pretty soon UPS will be the last man standing
as far as contributions. The smaller pension funds seem to be in better shape.
Western Converence for example. I would not vote yes for any contract unless there is a 25 and out at any age. Who's negotiating our pension?
Answer: no one! Its controlled by the trustees who are teamsters!
UPS has the money. They are the big supporters of these teamster funds.

thus the question , here it appears you are saying ups supports the multi-employer funds?

Im not sure what the answer is. Shame on UPS for ever giving control of the pension to the teamsters. Now UPS wants out!
Im a 25 year driver.

I'm not sure that UPS ever gave this one to the teamsters. UPS has been against multi-employer plans for at least 20 years that I am aware of.

tieguy

Banned
I understand the frustration with the pension plans but the problems lie deeper then blaming the mob influence or the teamsters for mismanagement. changing unions may not be enough if the new union does not have the experience to deal with the complexities of this issue. Each of you needs to read up and learn as much as possible. With some plans increasing employer contributions may be enough. With others some type of employer partitioning may be the answer. With others a complete overhaul. This is not an easy one to fix and it won't be fixed by crafting clever slogans.

Bill

this is all I have to say...
You obviously have not one reason that the Teamsters are working for you, so you post something so childish like this wrench. Perhaps this shows that the Teamsters are putting a wrench in your retirement plans.

Bill

There certainly isn't any good compelling argument for any other form of representation, so whats your point?
Obviously, I made a point but in went over your head. Let me simplify it so that even you can understand it. You appear to be satisfied with the Teamsters taking away your pension, and medical benefits. The trend is that this is just the beginning. It is time to cut your losses and head in another direction. The APWA gives you this opportunity. With a union for UPS people only, all of the money in the pension fund and medical fund will go to UPS people only and not shared with other companies who don't contribute much into the fund. This is just common sense that you apparently don't have. You still have not given me one reason what the Teamsters offer you or anyone else.

Bill

Come on guys! I mean should all this mess be a surprise to all of you? Hell, me too. I mean lets take a good look at the source of the problem....our union, much like any other, is controlled by the MOB for Christ's sake!!! So of course everything is jacked up. So of course they are swimming in our hard earned money.

And for all of you die hard union guys....Ok, YES, they have been nogotiating pretty good wages for us over the years but like Chris Rock said on one of his shows...lets not brag about what people did if it was something they WERE SUPPOSED TO DO. Lets focus on what they were supposed to do and DIDN'T. It almost makes me sick when I look at my pay stub when union dues come out. I'm so tempted to opt out and use that money, combined with what I dish out monthly to buy seemingly worthless UPS stock, to fund my own retirement. Hey wait a minute....that isn't a bad idea! But then I'd have to worry about half-@#$ed representation from the local (some would argue that it is already half-@#$ed) because I'd just be a "freeloader." Its funny because the way things are these days it would seem the the Teamsters are freeloading off us.
My advice for you and everyone else is to withdraw from the union. If enough people did this, the Teamsters would take notice. The only thing they care about is their bottom line. If they start receiving less money, that would send them a wake up call, and then maybe they will start listening to the people they are "supposed" to represent.

Bill

At one time, the Teamsters were looking out for the working people, but that has changed in the last few years. It is quite obvious once you take a look into the Teamster performance. We have taken pension cuts, our medical benefits are slashed as we pay more for them, union dues keep going up while our salary is worth less than the previous year after adjusting for inflation. While all this is happening, the Teamster leaders are enjoying multi-pensions and hefty salaries. They have not been cut and can retire and live a secure life, while the rest of us are forced to work at a strenuous job until age 65. How many of the package car drivers are going to make it to age 65? The Teamster eliminated the 30 and out pension plan and installed the 65 and out!!! You earned your pension and you should receive it in full at any age. The Teamsters don't want you to have what is rightfully yours. They are now diverting the money that UPS contributes to the medical benefits into the pension fund, so that the pension fund is not taken over by the government. You will soon be paying much more for your medical benefits and have a higher deductible because of this. The contract that they signed in 2002 states how much goes into your pension plan and how much is allocated toward your pension. The Teamsters have broken the contract by not following these guidelines. UPS people only receive 40% of the money that UPS contributes. The rest goes to other companies and the Teamster fatcats to enjoy. If we were to withdraw from the Teamsters, and form a union for UPS people only (APWA), then we would receive 100% of the UPS money and receive what we are entitled to: our full medical benefits and a pension worth at least double what the Teamsters offer. For all of the people who still back the Teamsters, I would like to know why. Please be specific and give me facts that can be verified. I don't want to hear propaganda that the Teamsters have been around a long time and have experiece negotiating contracts. They negotiated the "best contract ever", and we lost our medical benefits, had our pension cut, and union dues increased. I don't want them negotiating future contracts if this is the "best" they can do. I would honestly like to hear from you. Convince me that Teamsters are looking out for our best interests and not the other way around.
Just as I thought. After all these replies, not one of the Teamster backers have given me one reason why staying with the Teamsters are in our best interests. Apparently, there are no reasons or you would have mentioned them by now. I am still waiting to hear from you. If you don't respond, I have to assume that you agree with me that it is time to replace the Teamsters with the APWA.

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE
The teamsters have rules set up so you can`t even work anywhere after you retire to subsidize what they were suppose to pay in our pension. Rod wants us to use a wrench and we are not allowed to use it ? At the end of our career its like jumping off a boat with a 50 lb wieght around our ankle and try to tread water ? God bless the teamsters ?

Bill

I agree also. Go to The Center for Union Facts if you want some honest data on the union.
Everyone should take a look at this web site. It shows how much the local and national union representatives are earning as well as the additional compensation in benefits. Also while you are on this site, see how many people are "employed" by the national IBT union and the salaries that they are earning.

brett636

Obviously, I made a point but in went over your head. Let me simplify it so that even you can understand it. You appear to be satisfied with the Teamsters taking away your pension, and medical benefits. The trend is that this is just the beginning. It is time to cut your losses and head in another direction. The APWA gives you this opportunity. With a union for UPS people only, all of the money in the pension fund and medical fund will go to UPS people only and not shared with other companies who don't contribute much into the fund. This is just common sense that you apparently don't have. You still have not given me one reason what the Teamsters offer you or anyone else.

Do you really think the drivel you just posted is new information on this board? Try using the search sometime, I have hashed and rehashed this BS over and over again. It is not me that should have to convince you of staying with the teamsters, it is you that needs to convince me on why I should trust the APWA. I don't support the teamsters, and I will not vote for the APWA. Instead of just buying the pie in the sky the APWA people try to sell us, I did my homework and its obvious to me the APWA is the worst possibe choice we as UPSers have. I will vote for no union before I will vote in the APWA. PERIOD

Bill

Do you really think the drivel you just posted is new information on this board? Try using the search sometime, I have hashed and rehashed this BS over and over again. It is not me that should have to convince you of staying with the teamsters, it is you that needs to convince me on why I should trust the APWA. I don't support the teamsters, and I will not vote for the APWA. Instead of just buying the pie in the sky the APWA people try to sell us, I did my homework and its obvious to me the APWA is the worst possibe choice we as UPSers have. I will vote for no union before I will vote in the APWA. PERIOD
You make blank statements such as the APWA is the worst choice that we have. Please back up your arguement with some facts, otherwise what you say has no merit. You have not given me one fact for staying with the Teamsters or one reason that the APWA is as bad as you say it is. I can verify everything that I tell you, but you must do the same if you want any credibility.

browned out

The teamsters work for their multiple pensions not the ups worker. Our reps all drive luxury suvs and are all at least 100lbs over weight. You think these fat cats could get on and off a truck 150 times a day until they are 62 years old? They need upsers dues to keep the union afloat therefore they are willing to compromise almost anything to keep ups content. If we were to form our own union; there would be no teamsters. 30 and out gone Drivers can't walk at 55 let alone 65.:crying:

tieguy

Banned
Just as I thought. After all these replies, not one of the Teamster backers have given me one reason why staying with the Teamsters are in our best interests. Apparently, there are no reasons or you would have mentioned them by now. I am still waiting to hear from you. If you don't respond, I have to assume that you agree with me that it is time to replace the Teamsters with the APWA.

The question I would ask is not if the teamsters representation is bad but is APWA better. What makes them better other then they being "the other guys"

Not taking sides here but switching unions is a huge step that you don't want to screw up. If you pick the wrong union to replace the teamsters then things can get a heck of a lot worse. If it was me and I wanted to oust the teamsters I don't think I would pick APWA because they are too green too much of an unknown quanity.