Are the Teamsters really working for you?

hoser

Industrial Slob
lesson to the 21 year olds begining their career with UPS: PUT ASIDE $x/HR OF YOUR WAGE TO RETIREMENT SAVINGS, SO YOU DON'T HAVE WORRY ABOUT THIS IN 30 YEARS.

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE
Ok the question is why is APWA being posed as the only option to the teamsters. APWA is not a union and has zero representation at this time , yet some of you seem determined to throw your entire future into the APWA coffers.
Tieguy do you think the teamster can dig themselves out of the Grand Canyon size issue they have gotten them into ? :-( I do not invision what they can do to rectify a 41% underfunding of Central States - New Yorks local 804 - Western Conference is at 93% and they got reductions. Its not like they can put a band aid on this. When you hear that 60% is going to go out the window and 40% is staying in the house ! I`m thinking a 60% infusion does sound very good for starts. Our last contract that got us a pay increase was nice but to neglect the pension issues was considered to be representation at its best ? "But i did see the representation took a substantial pay increase too ! We know for a fact that they have better insurance than us and would assume (maybe a bad word) their pension is more secure than ours ?. We have a BA that moonlights with the Hialeah,Fla city council ? When we retire i be lucky to find a janitor job due to the restrictions that the Central States fund has on us! This is what we pay for ? Granted the APWA could use a professional speaker to help execute this better but they have done their homework on the operational issues and have a tenative plan on representation. We had 200 grienvences in our building - they finally brought in a agressive BA to help resolve these.
The drivers are saying they want a viable alternative ! They have loss the respect for the teamsters especially when they get hammered every day with 10 hour days ? Forget about filing a grievence because for 9.5 because its like it never happened. When you are a repeater of grievences - its like putting a x on your back. This is what we call representation ? I know you say how can they negotiate a contract like the teamsters and i say i hope they can`t !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill

My my, aren't we the touchy one? :lol: Like I said, sounds too good to be true. I had a wife like that. That turned out bad too.
It sounds like you keep making bad choices. You "had" a wife like that, which means you are no longer with her. At least you were smart enough to make a change and leave her. Why don't you do the same with the Teamsters!

Bill

Ok the question is why is APWA being posed as the only option to the teamsters. APWA is not a union and has zero representation at this time , yet some of you seem determined to throw your entire future into the APWA coffers.
There is absolutely no chance that you are right. The APWA has already been incorporated and is looking to replace the Teamsters. The APWA has its leaders in place and needs to be voted in in order to serve as our representation. Every entity has a starting point. Open your mind and look beyond the Teamster propaganda. Compare the differences between the Teamsters and the APWA. I mentioned the UPS pilots union that was recently formed in a previous post. Please refer to that one. If you are willing to do some research, you will see that the choice is a no-brainer. If you are lazy, ask me for the websites to look at. I will be more than happy to assist you. Are you totally satisfied with the Teamsters? Give me some reasons why you don't like or trust the APWA. Let me hear some of your brilliant options other than the Teamsters if the APWA is not to your liking.

Bill

I feel I have very good job security. I have seen hub workers who miss 60+ days a year get their jobs back after being fired. I have seen people who are very close to being worthless to their work areas keep their positions just because they grievanced for their job and got it back. I don't feel this is a good thing, but atleast I know that if I lose my job for some BS reason I will get it back because I do work hard and put in a good effort. BTW, my pension has not been cut and my medical benefits have been the same since the day I was hired. In fact now that I've gone fulltime I believe they are going to get better. Keep your BS comments coming, as I said before you have nothing new to contribute to this debate.
What part of the country are you from? You are very fortunate that you still have all of your benefits and pension. In Central States, we keep losing our medical benefits and our pension is being cut. This is just the beginning. It is just a matter of time before you are hit with a pension cut. How are you going to like that? Who are these people that you refer to as missing 60+ days a year and not being fired? These must be part time employees who work a few hours a day at a job that no one else wants. UPS is happy on the days that they decide to show up for work. If a full time employee missed this many days, he would be standing in the unemployment line. If you do your job, you have no reason to worry about UPS firing you. If you are a goof-off, UPS might dismiss you. The Teamsters might get your job back, but the ultimate decision lies with UPS. If UPS wants you out, the Teamsters or anyone are not going to bring you back to work. I have been to panel hearings, and have seen the deals that are made.

brett636

What part of the country are you from? You are very fortunate that you still have all of your benefits and pension. In Central States, we keep losing our medical benefits and our pension is being cut. This is just the beginning. It is just a matter of time before you are hit with a pension cut. How are you going to like that? Who are these people that you refer to as missing 60+ days a year and not being fired? These must be part time employees who work a few hours a day at a job that no one else wants. UPS is happy on the days that they decide to show up for work. If a full time employee missed this many days, he would be standing in the unemployment line. If you do your job, you have no reason to worry about UPS firing you. If you are a goof-off, UPS might dismiss you. The Teamsters might get your job back, but the ultimate decision lies with UPS. If UPS wants you out, the Teamsters or anyone are not going to bring you back to work. I have been to panel hearings, and have seen the deals that are made.

I am referring to fulltime combo employees who have missed that many days and are still employed by UPS to this day. Its only frustrating to watch because there are part-timers who would kill to have these worker's jobs and don't because management lets them stay. It may be true that UPS does decide partially who stays and who goes, but from what I can tell they don't try too hard to get rid of seemingly worthless employees.

As far as my pension goes I don't care what happens to it. I am not planning my retirement with it and I fully intend to live better than the typical fixed income retiree. 401ks, employee stock purchase plans, and other investments used in a wise manner can provide a much better retirement than any pension plan. Fulltime workers with this company are not living on the brink of poverty, and if they were smart about themselves they would be living quite well in retirement if they just take the time to invest some of that good money UPS pays them. I've said it before many times, and I will say it here once again I don't want a pension plan, I want a generous 401k match so that I know that money UPS puts towards my retirment will be there for me. Sadly, neither choice of union offers me that, so I am just going to invest my own money to paint my own picture of retirement. I do not want others to do that for me.

Gman24

I, I want a generous 401k match so that I know that money UPS puts towards my retirment will be there for me. Sadly, neither choice of union offers me that, so I am just going to invest my own money to paint my own picture of retirement. I do not want others to do that for me.

Brett, for once I agree totally with you. That is by far the best option for retirement. Do you think the "REAMSTERS" are ever going to let UPS just hand "OUR" money over to "us" for our total control? NO, because they can;t get their greedy little fingers on OUR money that way. As bad as I hate to admit it, that is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, but under the Reamsters that is not going to happen.

No, the APWA is not offering this either, however, the options under them are far more appealing than the way it is now. After retirement you will be able to work wherever you wish and however many hours you wish. The APWA is also looking into a LUMP SUM option at retirement. Also, the APWA is offering a pension payment based on your contributions by UPS if you decide to get out earlier. Are the TEAMSTERS going to EVER offer this?

A

Affraid of the future

Re: Healthbenifts

In case you forgot about the non union clerial satff, they have not had a pay raise in the last three years due to Health care benifits increase in co-pays, around 130.00 per week for a family of 4 for option A or that to much for the creme delay creme. Just wait until the next round of layoffs planned for FEB. In this electronic age you have no way of knowing who is monitering thsi sight. That does sound pretty parinoid but that's the way it is.

UPS has away of getting rid of trouble makers, HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

wyobill

My my, aren't we the touchy one? :lol: Like I said, sounds too good to be true. I had a wife like that. That turned out bad too.
Govols all I want is for ups pension contributions go to UPS people!
Not to subsidise other retires. The 97 strike was all about saving Central States. If UPS pulls out the fund is toast!!!!!!!! Burnt toast that is.

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE
Well as long as the teamsters keep getting your dues why and heck would they change anything ? Until the Workers of UPS put some pressure on the IBT nothing will change !!!!!!!!! They will continue to laugh all the way to the bank. While anyone that has a reducing pension because of the underfunding prepare to work after you body retires and that favorite frase will be "Would you like ketchup with your meal"!!!! "Or how big a slurpee would you like" ?

T

teamstersteward

without my union i would have to settle for low wages and no respect from management
I don't think so,
I enjoy my piece of the pie.
compare what your company ceo makes and what Hoffa makes then talk your trash.
lose your union and the company ceo gets even richer at your expense.
this blog must of been started by a company official or a wanna be

Gman24

without my union i would have to settle for low wages and no respect from management
I don't think so,

Your handle (name) says it all.

notorious upser

although I agree with you I think you are a little off the mark, after all we are the highest paid, with the best benefits in the industry. The real bulls eye here is the teamsters inability to enforce and uphold past and present contracts, UPS likely violates our contract in some form every day in every building nationwide. [over 9-5, supervisors working, ect.] what good is negotiating a contract you cant or wont enforce? Ill tell you what part of the contract is enforced to the letter, and that's the part that states how much money is going to be paid to the union on your behalf. if we want to keep our union and company in check we need to make sure are members file a grievance for every single violation.

satellitedriver

I am referring to fulltime combo employees who have missed that many days and are still employed by UPS to this day. Its only frustrating to watch because there are part-timers who would kill to have these worker's jobs and don't because management lets them stay. It may be true that UPS does decide partially who stays and who goes, but from what I can tell they don't try too hard to get rid of seemingly worthless employees.

As far as my pension goes I don't care what happens to it. I am not planning my retirement with it and I fully intend to live better than the typical fixed income retiree. 401ks, employee stock purchase plans, and other investments used in a wise manner can provide a much better retirement than any pension plan. Fulltime workers with this company are not living on the brink of poverty, and if they were smart about themselves they would be living quite well in retirement if they just take the time to invest some of that good money UPS pays them. I've said it before many times, and I will say it here once again I don't want a pension plan, I want a generous 401k match so that I know that money UPS puts towards my retirment will be there for me. Sadly, neither choice of union offers me that, so I am just going to invest my own money to paint my own picture of retirement. I do not want others to do that for me.
I agree one should invest for their own future. I have done just that and will prosper from the effort.
The only problem I have with some of your posts is that you are willing to give money to the reamsters every month while they take away from you benefits and money that you have earned. If UPS has contibuted monies in your name for your labor, why shouldn't you recieve them. If it is only for job protection you stay in the reamsters, then just say you do not mind paying extortion money. You are willing to be independent with your planning for your future with money from UPS( and I admire that)but on the other hand you let the reamsters throw your money into a blackhole. APWA is a means to get the money you earned from your labor at UPS and not have it go to others who have not. PAX

steffieup

Who gave the union control of the pension??? We did...why??? Because we were tricked! I agree we need one contract. We need to educate ourselves for the 2008 contract and if we have to...send a message to the union as well if they're not listening.

mittam

Who gave the union control of the pension??? We did...why??? Because we were tricked! I agree we need one contract. We need to educate ourselves for the 2008 contract and if we have to...send a message to the union as well if they're not listening.

Exactly, send the teamsters a message...... We want the APWA.... and the teamsters can get OUT!!!!

Bill

I don't understand people like you. You said that you don't care what happens to your pension. I don't think many of your fellow Teamsters will agree with you. Why bother working for UPS for 30 years and receive little or nothing? There is no incentive to work for UPS if they are going to take away your benefits and pension. Most of us do care about our pension. We have worked hard and earned our pension money, but the Teamsters have decided not to give it to us. It is our money, we have earned it, we should receive it with no restrictions. The Teamsters think it is their money. Attitudes like yours is what allows the Teamsters to keep giving us the shaft. We can take back our pension, but we need people to understand what is really going on with the Teamsters. If they will not give us what we have earned, then it is time to change direction and vote to replace the Teamsters with the APWA, a union for UPS people only that will give us our fair share and give us a secure retirement that we don't have under the Teamsters.

Bill

I don't think so,
You are missing the whole point. We don't want to be without a union. We only want our fair share of the pension. The APWA offers this whereas the Teamsters can't or will not. This has nothing to do with Hoffa or the UPS CEO. We want a union that works for us, not us working for them.

brett636

I don't understand people like you. You said that you don't care what happens to your pension. I don't think many of your fellow Teamsters will agree with you. Why bother working for UPS for 30 years and receive little or nothing? There is no incentive to work for UPS if they are going to take away your benefits and pension. Most of us do care about our pension. We have worked hard and earned our pension money, but the Teamsters have decided not to give it to us. It is our money, we have earned it, we should receive it with no restrictions. The Teamsters think it is their money. Attitudes like yours is what allows the Teamsters to keep giving us the shaft. We can take back our pension, but we need people to understand what is really going on with the Teamsters. If they will not give us what we have earned, then it is time to change direction and vote to replace the Teamsters with the APWA, a union for UPS people only that will give us our fair share and give us a secure retirement that we don't have under the Teamsters.

I don't expect you to understand someone like myself. Unlike you and most of my fellow teamsters I do not have an entitlement issue. I expect nothing from anyone, and expect everything from myself. While you are busy getting yourself deep in debt, like most americans sadly, I will have my house paid for when I am in my 30s. This will allow me to divert a lot of my money towards other necessities, like a comfortable retirement. I've said before its foolish to expect other people to have your best interests at heart. Ultimatly we reap what we sow, and I intend to reap the full benefits of my decisions today.