Are the Teamsters really working for you?

govols019

You smell that?
Everyone should take a look at this web site. It shows how much the local and national union representatives are earning as well as the additional compensation in benefits.

It shows me that my local President makes quite a bit less than I do. They've always done right by me.

As far as the APWA goes, my grandmother always said that if something sounds too good to be true then it probably is.

Whaler31

The Local Union that I was working under seems to be in lock-step and hand in hand with UPS management, based on my experience.

May God be with you hard-working, tenured drivers, etc. Because the Teamsters are now OWNED by UPS Management.

They flagrantly ignore the contract agreements with free will.

If you have been working for UPS a long time, I would really be looking for some advice beyond what your Union promises.

trickpony1

Whaler31-
I never heard a follow-up on your issue in another thread.
Can I assume you didn't get your job back after the trumped-up sexual harassment charges?
Maybe it was for the best. Things happen for a reason.
Just to friend with them, I would see about an attorney anyway.

What about the NLRB charges against the union and company that someone suggested?

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE
Like i preached in the past the Company has all the $ and all the final say so ! The puppets just keep on collecting your dues then they tell you what they want to and don`t return your calls on the rest ? Sooner or later it will sink in what is really happening !!!!!! It may be too late already ?

browniehound

Just as I thought. After all these replies, not one of the Teamster backers have given me one reason why staying with the Teamsters are in our best interests. Apparently, there are no reasons or you would have mentioned them by now. I am still waiting to hear from you. If you don't respond, I have to assume that you agree with me that it is time to replace the Teamsters with the APWA.

I'll give you 2 reasons. One, where I'm from you can't 'withdraw' from the teamsters and still be employed by UPS (unless you go into management). Two, I never heard of APWA. What the heck is it? And I thought UPS has a contract with the teamsters , how can a third party be thrown into the mix?

satellitedriver

I'll give you 2 reasons. One, where I'm from you can't 'withdraw' from the teamsters and still be employed by UPS (unless you go into management). Two, I never heard of APWA. What the heck is it? And I thought UPS has a contract with the teamsters , how can a third party be thrown into the mix?
1: You can withdraw from the union in closed shop states, but you still have to pay a portion of your dues.
2: APWA website is www.parcelworkers.com
3: Go to the homepage of BrownCafe and click on the BlackSheep link. Alot of info is there if you are willing to sift thru all the links.
PAX,
Sat

brett636

You make blank statements such as the APWA is the worst choice that we have. Please back up your arguement with some facts, otherwise what you say has no merit. You have not given me one fact for staying with the Teamsters or one reason that the APWA is as bad as you say it is. I can verify everything that I tell you, but you must do the same if you want any credibility.

I don't know why you feel entitled to wasting my time retyping information I have already posted on numerous threads regarding this topic. At the top of this page there is a word called "SEARCH". Use it and see for yourself. Tie hit the nail on the head, switching unions is not something to be taken lightly. I will be the first to say the teamsters suck, and thats something a lot of people don't need convincing of, but to switch unions can really screw around with your current level of job security, wages, and benefits. What they tell you they can get you, and what they actually get you could be two totally different things.

tieguy

Banned
The Local Union that I was working under seems to be in lock-step and hand in hand with UPS management, based on my experience.

May God be with you hard-working, tenured drivers, etc. Because the Teamsters are now OWNED by UPS Management.

They flagrantly ignore the contract agreements with free will.

If you have been working for UPS a long time, I would really be looking for some advice beyond what your Union promises.

Generally the members file the grievances not the Business agent. The process of grieving contract violations is clear and documented. If infractions are being ignored its your membership doing so not the union leadership

Bill

The question I would ask is not if the teamsters representation is bad but is APWA better. What makes them better other then they being "the other guys"

Not taking sides here but switching unions is a huge step that you don't want to screw up. If you pick the wrong union to replace the teamsters then things can get a heck of a lot worse. If it was me and I wanted to oust the teamsters I don't think I would pick APWA because they are too green too much of an unknown quanity.
I agree that switching unions is a huge step. However, that is all that I agree with you on. If we stay with the Teamsters, we know there will be further cuts in the pension and medical benefits. This is only the beginning. We are on a sinking ship, so it is time to bail out and cut the losses. The APWA offers a new start, where we will have access to 100% of the UPS money. The Teamsters only give us 40%. What don't you understand about that? Also, before you make blank statements, please check out the IPA (union for the UPS pilots). At one time, the UPS pilots were part of the Teamsters, but they saw the handwriting on the wall. They decided to form their own union a few years ago, and look at them now. They were given a big pay raise, and more money was put into their pension by UPS. They didn't accept the pension cuts and medical cuts like the fools who blindly follow the Teamsters. Check out this website and then tell me that we can't start our own union. Also, notice that not one of the Teamsters backers have given me one reason why we should stick with the Teamsters. Saying that "I don't trust the APWA" is not a reason. Tell me why you don't trust the APWA. I can give you at least ten reasons why I don't trust the Teamsters. Finally, change is a good thing. If this country didn't make changes, we would still be communicating by wire tap (Western Union), washing our clothes in a river, riding horseback to travel anywhere, etc... You get the point?

Bill

It shows me that my local President makes quite a bit less than I do. They've always done right by me.

As far as the APWA goes, my grandmother always said that if something sounds too good to be true then it probably is.
Your grandmother also washed her clothes by hand and listened to the radio for any news. The computer and TV were not around in 1930. Do you want to live in a cave too?

Bill

I understand that some states are right-to-work states and others are not. If you are in a right-to-work state, I suggest that you withdraw from the Teamsters and send them a message that you are mad and will not take this anymore. If you are in a state that requires you to be a member of the union, you still have a choice. Although you have to be in the union, it doesn't say which union. The Teamsters are a sinking ship. They are going to keep cutting your pension and medical benefits. The APWA is trying to start a union for UPS people only. The UPS pilots were Teamsters, but recently astarted their own union (IPA). They received a big pay increase as well as a pension increase (not a pension cut that the Teamsters are forcing on us). If you have any questions after reading this, you can contact them. Finally, UPS does have a contract with the Teamsters. The Teamsters violated this contract in several ways. The pension fund is seriously underfunded, so the Teamsters decided to divert the UPS money that was supposed to go toward Health and welfare benefits into the pension fund. You will now be paying more for medical benefits and receiving less coverage. the Teamsters can be replaced with another union. Call the NLRB (national labor relations board). They will verify this information. You can vote to decertify one union and replace it with another.

Bill

I don't know why you feel entitled to wasting my time retyping information I have already posted on numerous threads regarding this topic. At the top of this page there is a word called "SEARCH". Use it and see for yourself. Tie hit the nail on the head, switching unions is not something to be taken lightly. I will be the first to say the teamsters suck, and thats something a lot of people don't need convincing of, but to switch unions can really screw around with your current level of job security, wages, and benefits. What they tell you they can get you, and what they actually get you could be two totally different things.
What job security? I have been to panel hearings. If UPS wants you out, they will find a way to fire you. The Teamsters and UPS make deals behind the scenes. As far as screwing around with wages and benefits, the fact is that the Teamsters have cut your pension and medical benefits. Do you call this screwing around with the benefits promised to you when you started working for UPS?

wyobill

ups broke into Wyoming around 32 yrs ago. We still have drivers that remember ups carrying the pension then giving it up to Central States.
Our part timers are under ups pension. Remember before the 97 strike it was 30 you get 1000. a month. UPS trying to pull out at least changed that. Central States had to counter the UPS offer.

wyobill

What job security? I have been to panel hearings. If UPS wants you out, they will find a way to fire you. The Teamsters and UPS make deals behind the scenes. As far as screwing around with wages and benefits, the fact is that the Teamsters have cut your pension and medical benefits. Do you call this screwing around with the benefits promised to you when you started working for UPS?
Most drivers just cant see the handwriting on the wall. We need our own union , UPS pension dollars going to UPS empoyees AND THERE SPOUSES who are left for dead in Central States with No cost of living increases. UPS carries our retirement benefits. we keep everything for 50 dollars a month.( 25 full time years and 50 yrs of age.)
Bail out of the teamsters and join APWA. I did

govols019

You smell that?
Your grandmother also washed her clothes by hand and listened to the radio for any news. The computer and TV were not around in 1930. Do you want to live in a cave too?

My my, aren't we the touchy one? :lol: Like I said, sounds too good to be true. I had a wife like that. That turned out bad too.

satellitedriver

ups broke into Wyoming around 32 yrs ago. We still have drivers that remember ups carrying the pension then giving it up to Central States.
Our part timers are under ups pension. Remember before the 97 strike it was 30 you get 1000. a month. UPS trying to pull out at least changed that. Central States had to counter the UPS offer.
I am sure it is just me, but your post doesn't make sense.

Overpaid Union Thug

We put 60% of the money into the pension fun but most of the other companys contributing the other 40% (COMBINED!) enjoy a better retirement. We are the backbone for the IBT becaue of our dues but they let our pension go to sh#$. It looks like all these guys need us more than we need them. The only way things are going to get better is if we get away and take care of ourselves. The APWA sounds like they can help.

tieguy

Banned
I agree that switching unions is a huge step. However, that is all that I agree with you on. If we stay with the Teamsters, we know there will be further cuts in the pension and medical benefits. This is only the beginning. We are on a sinking ship, so it is time to bail out and cut the losses.

Ok the question is why is APWA being posed as the only option to the teamsters. APWA is not a union and has zero representation at this time , yet some of you seem determined to throw your entire future into the APWA coffers.

satellitedriver

Ok the question is why is APWA being posed as the only option to the teamsters. APWA is not a union and has zero representation at this time , yet some of you seem determined to throw your entire future into the APWA coffers.
Tie,
I agree that one should be careful in their affairs. I threw my money into their coffers, not my entire future. I give more to charity a month and less than 2 months "REAMSTER" union dues to APWA to be a member. APWA is not the only option. Another option is to do as I have done. Quit the union and stand on your own merits as an employee. If I can not meet the standards of the company ask/tell me to leave and I will.
You are correct that APWA is not a union. It is association of members. After a blind ballot vote of UPS employees meeting or exceeding 30% the paperwork is in place to certify as a union, until then it can only be called an association.
I am not a spokesman for APWA ,nor do I represent myself as such.
My question ,to youTie, is what is the other option? Continuing with the "REAMSTERS"? Beg AFL-CIO to take us in? TDU to save the "REAMSTERS"?Our represention by the (dare I say the word) Teamsters is dismal and not representive of UPSERS. In my own heart, I refuse to give money to any group that does not have my interests at heart.
I enjoy your posts. Keep them coming.
PAX,
Sat

brett636

I feel I have very good job security. I have seen hub workers who miss 60+ days a year get their jobs back after being fired. I have seen people who are very close to being worthless to their work areas keep their positions just because they grievanced for their job and got it back. I don't feel this is a good thing, but atleast I know that if I lose my job for some BS reason I will get it back because I do work hard and put in a good effort. BTW, my pension has not been cut and my medical benefits have been the same since the day I was hired. In fact now that I've gone fulltime I believe they are going to get better. Keep your BS comments coming, as I said before you have nothing new to contribute to this debate.