Are unions making a comeback due to disparaging wages?

Overpaid Union Thug

Wow you are on to something there. I get the text messages but when I look at the brothers and sisters working in the hubs. I cannot help feeling we are out of touch.
I wish I had the technical background to start an app that can be used by union locals. The union and company would both use it. We’d be able to fill out most (or all?) grievances on it and they’d be routed through the steward up to the BA. Then on to the next person if need be. The Air Force and Army use a similar routing service in website form called GEARS. Anyone assigned a role (would be stewards, BA, center manager, and so on) has visibility and the ability to sign off on/deny a task (grievance in our case) and pass it on to the next person. A more streamlined version in app form would be awesome.

Members could also suggest issues that need to be addressed at the next meeting in the app. Or maybe the app would expedite that process as well. There’s probably other uses I can’t think of right now. But I think any idea that is more likely to get Gen Tiktok to engage with our union is worth entertaining.

PT Car Washer

Well our great leaders decided to pass that while the members said no. Time for a new crew.
The first two tier wage proposal was in 1982 with the PT. We were warned that it would eventually be expanded to the FT. Once you grant a concession, it is almost impossible to turn it back.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
The first two tier wage proposal was in 1982 with the PT. We were warned that it would eventually be expanded to the FT. Once you grant a concession, it is almost impossible to turn it back.
If you’re talking about the $1 incentive for sorters this isn’t even close to the same thing. We are talking about people doing the exact same job as someone else making $7 less. Oh, by the way, they have since eliminated the $1 increase for “skilled” positions. We still have 22.4’s. When did the 4 year progression start happening? Under Hoffa?

PT Car Washer

If you’re talking about the $1 incentive for sorters this isn’t even close to the same thing. We are talking about people doing the exact same job as someone else making $7 less. Oh, by the way, they have since eliminated the $1 increase for “skilled” positions. We still have 22.4’s. When did the 4 year progression start happening? Under Hoffa?
We have PT Union members paid $39/hr PT working next to new hires making $15/hr. If you include the $75/wk retention bonus they are making over $42/hr. Compare that to 22.4 making what, $21/hr? With no excessive OT protection.

Yeet

We have PT Union members paid $39/hr PT working next to new hires making $15/hr. If you include the $75/wk retention bonus they are making over $42/hr. Compare that to 22.4 making what, $21/hr? With no excessive OT protection.
You are proving my point. You are talking about a 30 year PT’er making that an hour versus someone who just walked in the door making $15. Part timers that were above that rate when the hike happened got nothing.

Top rate 22.4’s get around $34 with a top rate RPCD making around $41. They do the same job. Years of service aside the contract put a 4 year contingent on hitting that rate. Same job, same metric of hitting 4 years, it needs to be the same rate.

We’ve been boned too many times.

PT Car Washer

You are proving my point. You are talking about a 30 year PT’er making that an hour versus someone who just walked in the door making $15. Part timers that were above that rate when the hike happened got nothing.

Top rate 22.4’s get around $34 with a top rate RPCD making around $41. They do the same job. Years of service aside the contract put a 4 year contingent on hitting that rate. Same job, same metric of hitting 4 years, it needs to be the same rate.

We’ve been boned too many times.
I went to the top PT rate 90 days after gaining seniority. About $1.50 less then top rate delivery driver. The longer it goes on the greater the disparity in wages. Of course some will say that just as long as they make their $40/hr., all is good. That is their problem because they didn't vote.

Yeet

I went to the top PT rate 90 days after gaining seniority. About $1.50 less then top rate delivery driver. The longer it goes on the greater the disparity in wages. Of course some will say that just as long as they make their $40/hr., all is good. That is their problem because they didn't vote.
Right. The 4 year progression wasn’t a thing until the 90’s and even then I think it was 2 years. Give backs after give backs.

This is where I will argue with you. If you made only $1.50 less than a driver as a part timer after 90 days that’s ludicrous. Fight me all you want but a driver has many more responsibilities and burdens than a hub worker. The pay needs to reflect that.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Unions are all butt dead in this country. Unless they can figure out how to effectively integrate themselves into TikTok, Facebook, YouTube, etc., the current and upcoming generations of workers will never fully engage with them.
Punctuation and spelling matter

Unions are all butt dead in this country

Unions are all but dead in this country.

PT Car Washer

Right. The 4 year progression wasn’t a thing until the 90’s and even then I think it was 2 years. Give backs after give backs.

This is where I will argue with you. If you made only $1.50 less than a driver as a part timer after 90 days that’s ludicrous. Fight me all you want but a driver has many more responsibilities and burdens than a hub worker. The pay needs to reflect that.
I was wrong. Preloaders made $.50/hr less then drivers at top rate. Unskilled was $1.50 less. How about FT porters making $39/hr to clean the toilets and empty the trash cans? Our pay does not reflect the difficulty of the position.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
I was wrong. Preloaders made $.50/hr less then drivers at top rate. Unskilled was $1.50 less. How about FT porters making $39/hr to clean the toilets and empty the trash cans? Our pay does not reflect the difficulty of the position.

“Skilled work” was defined on who was on the negotiating committee at that time.

Yeet

A lot of our porters are 40 year drivers that take the job for a few years before they retire. It’s extremely hard to get that job so I guess that would justify the pay?

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
A lot of our porters are 40 year drivers that take the job for a few years before they retire. It’s extremely hard to get that job so I guess that would justify the pay?
Porters generally make less per hour then the drivers. No to very little overtime either.

Yeet

Porters generally make less per hour then the drivers. No to very little overtime either.
Yeah that’s why they take it. They aren’t trying to pull 50-60 hour weeks anymore, just trying to get a few more credits on their pensions before they retire.

Karma...

1954 35% of the work force was union......2021 10.3% of the work force was union....thats quite a drop in union market share....the workers are certainly better protected by laws than in the past.....unions dont offer the advantages that they used to.......in the the future expect a further erosion of union % and benefits due to members getting older and more numerous ratio to the less and less active union members to support the older members.....changes must be made....also raw states will be increasing.....