Is there still a need for the union?

Zowert

How many of us do yo think dreamed of growing up to push cardboard one day?
I never thought I’d go from being an educator to a delivery boy, but here I am. I’m making more money than everyone I knew in college. Quite a few of them reached out to me on Facebook, “You’re a UPS driver now? WHY?!” Money, insurance and pension. That’s why.

Zowert

Do people not realize That if we weren’t unionized we’d all be making $20 an hour and have horrible working conditions? If you can’t see that you’re clueless. The upside that comes with being unionized is priceless. They can’t be measured. Even if the teamsters are a shell of what they once were which many think, the benefits far outweigh any downside some might see.
This is true. Amazon delivery drivers are making $18 to $20 an hour in my area. They have cameras (netradyne) in their vans and end up getting terminated for trivial stuff, which ends up being an excuse to fire them for going too slow. Their turnover rate is an atrocious 150%.

Over70irregs

This is true. Amazon delivery drivers are making $18 to $20 an hour in my area. They have cameras (netradyne) in their vans and end up getting terminated for trivial stuff, which ends up being an excuse to fire them for going too slow. Their turnover rate is an atrocious 150%.
I showed them a copy of my check. I keep it in the wallet for them. I said your doing the work might as well get paid for it.

Kingofthenorth

Do you think Starbucks would be this successful if they had just installed coffee machines instead of coffee shops?
Automation tech hasn't been there yet. There is a massive difference between a robot handing you a cup and random coffee machine. Random coffee machines is displacement not automation.

Over70irregs

Automation tech hasn't been there yet. There is a massive difference between a robot handing you a cup and random coffee machine. Random coffee machines is displacement not automation.
1677971873888.png

ManInBrown

I showed them a copy of my check. I keep it in the wallet for them. I said you’re doing the work might as well get paid for it.
Most couldn’t cut it,sorry but it’s true. Don’t have the work ethic. My front door is 25 feet from my garage and before I went into my Amazon account and changed delivery instructions to “front door only. Do not leave at garage” every single delivery was left at garage. They couldn’t even be bothered to take the extra five seconds and walk to my out of the elements covered front door. Rain or shine they didn’t care. Now some might argue service doesn’t matter anymore so who cares. That’s above my pay grade.

ManInBrown

It’s a race to retirement. It’s a race to start collecting SS before it’s abolished, which by the way there will be anarchy if that happens.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Most couldn’t cut it,sorry but it’s true. Don’t have the work ethic. My front door is 25 feet from my garage and before I went into my Amazon account and changed delivery instructions to “front door only. Do not leave at garage” every single delivery was left at garage. They couldn’t even be bothered to take the extra five seconds and walk to my out of the elements covered front door. Rain or shine they didn’t care. Now some might argue service doesn’t matter anymore so who cares. That’s above my pay grade.
What :censored2: tard won’t put a package at covered front door instead of the open? Geez what idiots.

ManInBrown

What :censored2: tard won’t put a package at covered front door instead of the open? Geez what idiots.
An Amazon idiot. When I was in package I had houses that were a third of a mile, to a half a mile from the road that I walked off every single day. I had a house that was in the clouds. I couldn’t drive in because the incline at the bottom of the driveway would catch the back bumper. Every single year late Mar, early April they ordered new wayfair patio furniture. I almost had a heart attack dragging that stuff up there. But I did It. Why did I do it? Because the rest of the year when they got an envelope or a small box, the wife was cool with me putting it in a rain bag and dropping by mailbox. Now what do you think would happen if I left the wayfair at the mailbox? She’d call and complain and I’d have to bring every single delivery up. Thats called work ethic. That’s called a fair days work, for a fair days pay. 25 feet? Really? You’re a loser.

Last edited:

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
An Amazon idiot. When I was in package I had houses that were a third of a mile, to a half a mile from the road that I walked off every single day. I had a house that was in the clouds. I couldn’t drive in because the incline at the bottom of the driveway would catch the back bumper. Every single year late Mar, early April they ordered new wayfair patio furniture. I almost had a heart attack dragging that stuff up there. But I did It. Why did I do it? Because the rest of the year when they got an envelope or a small box, the wife was cool with me putting it in a rain bag and dropping by mailbox. Now what do you think would happen if I left the wayfair at the mailbox? She’d call and complain and I’d have to bring every single delivery up. Thats called work ethic. That’s called a fair days work, for a fair days pay. 25 feet? Really? You’re a loser.
Sadly, that kind of service is getting harder to find. I actually cared more about my customers than UPS did. If I got to a shipper at the pick up time and they weren’t wrapped, I would either wait or come back. It wasn’t habitual on their part but they knew I would take care of them. That’s how you keep customers and enhance the brand.

ManInBrown

Sadly, that kind of service is getting harder to find. I actually cared more about my customers than UPS did. If I got to a shipper at the pick up time and they weren’t wrapped, I would either wait or come back. It wasn’t habitual on their part but they knew I would take care of them. That’s how you keep customers and enhance the brand.
It’s not only harder to find, it’s almost non existent and the sad part is the companies don’t care. CS isn’t top of mind anymore. Most customers don’t care, and most companies only worry about the bottom line. I see it every day in feeders. The bar is lower and lower and lower every year. That’s why in my mind I am adamant that there cannot be a strike. Sean has to figure out a way to give a little and take what’s important. I work with drivers that are concerned with the dumbest 💩 you could ever imagine. Package to feeder and street to feeder are different. We have a what’s app chat. These idiots (who are mostly off the street hires) ohhh we need more sick days. We need more vacation. Complete clueless off the street hire BS. How about you start with not sub contracting my work at peak. How about you start with not subcontracting package work to PVD’s at peak. That’s what keeps this great paying job alive and ticking. Not being worried about stupid 💩like more sick days. I’m 💯% union. We strike, I’m fine with that but we need to be worried about what’s truly important. Not short sighted BS like sick days.

ManInBrown

And the irony of off the street feeder drivers worrying about stupid 💩 like sick days is, if theres a strike, chances are you never brown up ever again. I will, but you either wont, or it will be 5+ years before you do because that’s the damage that will be caused by a strike. So your mind should be concerned with what’s important and not superficial dumb 💩. Believe me if I exhaust all sick days in March in the 177, I’ll survive till May 1st. I make enough to survive. That’s the last friend’n thing I’m worried about. Stop giving my job away Nov and Dec. Because that’s exactly what empowers the company to think I’m not needed.

Last edited:

Kingofthenorth

It’s a race to retirement. It’s a race to start collecting SS before it’s abolished, which by the way there will be anarchy if that happens.
SS will never be abolished. You can't keep having more and more resources than tell everyone they can't retire so the richest people can even live better lives. They will get shot. Welll unless life extension technology rapidly improves and other tech lags greatly behind.

Over70irregs

SS will never be abolished. You can't keep having more and more resources than tell everyone they can't retire so the richest people can even live better lives. They will get shot. Welll unless life extension technology rapidly improves and other tech lags greatly behind.
8-10 years life medicine will push plenty.