Are UPS Drivers Living paycheck-to-paycheck?

Thebrownblob

So you're in the first group, living with parents.

Aww, did someone get a forced 6th punch? QQ.
Absolutely lived with my parents while I went to college.

Eight dollars an hour was not enough at a part-time job to live on my own similar to you.

Graduated stayed on on at UPS worked eight years part time.

Made the decision to stay.

I don’t know of any part-time jobs where you could go to school and live on your own and have extra money if you find that one let me know.

Never pigeonholed any complete group of Teamsters as anything other than hard-working and wanting to move ahead.

AccidentProne

Eight dollars an hour was not enough at a part-time job to live on my own similar to you.

I don’t know of any part-time jobs where you could go to school and live on your own and have extra money if you find that one let me know.

Never pigeonholed any complete group of Teamsters as anything other than hard-working and wanting to move ahead.
So we are just confirming what I said about the age group between 18-24?

qdg2

Back in the 1980's I remember lots of driver's spouses coming to the center on Friday mornings to pick up the checks so they could get deposited ASAP.
My "spouse" stayed home with my daughter .....so she didn't work.

We had one income.

Like many young, newly married couples with young children.......we lived week to week......you bet!

Eventually, we quit treading water and became stable and got ahead. My wife went back to work and we enjoy the fruits of our labors.

Our story is as common as any in America. Still is.
Yrs ago, in feeders, when we still got paper checks on Fri, they were usually delivered to the office Thur afternoon. Several drivers with night runs would interupt their sleep to run down and pick it up so they could, possibly, deposit it then or as early Fri morn as possible.
Still fairly new, at the time, I just didn't get it.
Feeders was like getting a big raise. To another level with the overtime.

A very distinct bottom line increase.

Sleepers brings it to another level. For me, a cool $1000 PER WEEK! take home.

Thebrownblob

My "spouse" stayed home with my daughter .....so she didn't work.

We had one income.

Like many young, newly married couples with young children.......we lived week to week......you bet!

Eventually, we quit treading water and became stable and got ahead. My wife went back to work and we enjoy the fruits of our labors.

Our story is as common as any in America. Still is.

Feeders was like getting a big raise. To another level with the overtime.

A very distinct bottom line increase.

Sleepers brings it to another level. For me, a cool $1000 PER WEEK! take home.
UPS is still one of the companies where you can work your way up to solid upper middle class. It’s not easy, but it can be done.

qdg2

Well we made $11.70 when I was part time. UPS mornings....lifeguard in the afternoon and went to college. Lived at home.

Went full time, moved out. Moved up in pay decade after decade.

Thebrownblob

And that's the moment I realized the thread was about to take a really bad turn.

C'mon man. Some drivers are arrogant :censored2:bags but that's as bad as when drivers call part timers lazy burnouts.
Just unnecessary.
Apparently that is lost on him. Dividing us into anything more than Union brothers, and sisters, looking to better ourselves is ridiculous.

AccidentProne

WHAT DO YOU DO AT UPS?

You've disparaged a whole group of folks......

You are superior....how?
I already answered you. My name is AccidentProne, I am clumsy, no way superior.
And that's the moment I realized the thread was about to take a really bad turn.

C'mon man. Some drivers are arrogant :censored2:bags but that's as bad as when drivers call part timers lazy burnouts.
Just unnecessary.
Yeah it was out of line. Sorry about that.