Are UPS Drivers Living paycheck-to-paycheck?

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

People also seem to forget that age group still lives with their parents and goes to college full time.

You're not gonna be able to afford an apartment and all necessities on a part time job in this decade; While still having extra time and money to go to college and study with your non existent free time. Oh and all the start times for each shift are at inconvenient hours of the day/night.
When I started driving at 21 I drove maybe 2-3 days a week my pay was 18$ an hour. I worked inside the other days for minimum wage. I had a two bedroom apartment and a brand new car. Still had extra cash to go to the bar or out to eat.

AccidentProne

When I started driving at 21 I drove maybe 2-3 days a week my pay was 18$ an hour. I worked inside the other days for minimum wage. I had a two bedroom apartment and a brand new car. Still had extra cash to go to the bar or out to eat.
What year?

Even if you drove eight hours a day for 3 days, that still wouldn't be enough per month. Unless you were doing 15 hour shifts.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Was the company :censored2:ing up people checks back then too?
I can tell you there were issues back then, too.

Many of the old timers at my center got their pension credits screwed up royally because of the company's slipshod record keeping.

They got it fixed. Eventually. But they had to fight every step of the way.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Absolutely lived with my parents while I went to college.

Eight dollars an hour was not enough at a part-time job to live on my own similar to you.

Graduated stayed on on at UPS worked eight years part time.

Made the decision to stay.

I don’t know of any part-time jobs where you could go to school and live on your own and have extra money if you find that one let me know.

Never pigeonholed any complete group of Teamsters as anything other than hard-working and wanting to move ahead.
I worked at UPS in the 80s pt, went from 3 bucks an hour to 8. Felt rich. Went to college, Had a house pmt, of 145, a crap car, 2 kids, paid my bills, no extra. But now, No way.

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
I worked at UPS in the 80s pt, went from 3 bucks an hour to 8. Felt rich. Went to college, Had a house pmt, of 145, a crap car, 2 kids, paid my bills, no extra. But now, No way.
Screenshot_20220915-170842_Chrome.jpg

Whereistheunion

I'm on the verge of being paycheck to paycheck but that's literally my own doing. We're not living above means at all. The issue now is that not only are things more expensive but our local electric company imposed an extra hike for no reason whatsoever other than them being greedy. So now instead of having a $200-250 electric bill we're pushing $400-500. Add in the fact my daughter is doing virtual school still since her immune system is absolute rubbish and Covid would still mess her up, her Mom not working to stay home with her and effectively be a homemaker for the time being... it's rough. But, we're getting by. Once it cools off some and we're not constantly at 100+ I'll pick up more OT, but for the time being...we're okay.
Strongly advise you to look into solar power. We've had it for 6 months, 1800sq ft home our average electric bill when we get one is $21.00. Haven't gotten a bill in 4 months.