Are you ready for 30% more work? The perfect storm?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Assume our maximum is 60 and the first and second numbers are static. I can't figure this equation out Axb=c. c+A=60

59.5x.3=17.85+59.5=?

equation does not comput. Solution rejected. Looks like I won't be doing 30% more work after all or even 10%.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Really?
I mean really.
I have read 8 pages of bitchin' of how hard one is going to have to work this peak.
Maybe, it is because I am an old fart that had to have a signature on paper for every pkg delivered,
in the rain.
:happy-very:
Maybe, it is because I have worked peak hours every week for the last 4yrs.
I am sick and tired of wimps bitchin' that they have to work long hours.

My opinion;

One should be willing to earn the money and benefits, through their labor, that UPS is willing to pay.

Cold, hard and bitter is no way to drag on through life, partner. Life was rough back when there wasn't any air conditioning, too.

So what does that have to do with the high price of shinola?

What's holding you back from retiring, already?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Really?
I mean really.
I have read 8 pages of bitchin' of how hard one is going to have to work this peak.
Maybe, it is because I am an old fart that had to have a signature on paper for every pkg delivered,
in the rain.

My opinion;

One should be willing to earn the money and benefits, through their labor, that UPS is willing to pay.

If you go into Settings and change posts per page to 20, it would have only been 4 pages.
It seemed about half as irritating to me and this is probably the reason why.
GOF (grouchy old fart)

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Who cares about all the numbers. Just take your :censored2: whoopins and make that big cheese. We get whooped like a dog every xmas it is what it is. I don't sweat it anymore. I just put in the back of my mind im a make as much money as I can and work retarded hours and be sleep deprived like a mother for a couple weeks. And exactly whatever dude lol.

satellitedriver

Cold, hard and bitter is no way to drag on through life, partner. Life was rough back when there wasn't any air conditioning, too.

So what does that have to do with the high price of shinola?

What's holding you back from retiring, already?

Cold, hard and bitter?
I am cool, calm and collected,
even though I was raised without A/C in humid, hot, Houston, Tx.
Worked til 10pm tonight, and I am not worried how tough Peak might be. Last year my average day was 10.5 hrs.

Shinola went out of business in 1960, so there is no comparison to wimp bitchin' about working for money, and a shoe shine.
BTW, in 1959 I was 6yrs old and had a shoe shine kit full of shinola. I shined shoes on the corner of Cullen Blvd and Grigg's road for a Quarter a shine.

You ask a direct question, "What's holding me back from retiring?".
Simple answer.
Health Insurance.
I was diagnosed with colon cancer in 2010, and had half my colon removed. The reason I have stuck around is to protect my wife from living a life worrying about money if I die a young death and leave her alone.
Grief and old age money worries are a tragic thing.
Next year I am out of here-(working for UPS)- and will have more income, through mailbox money, than I do working.
Then, I will sit back and enjoy the fruits of my labors.

I am suppose to thank IBT for "giving" me what I have, but I will not, because they do not deserve the credit.

satellitedriver

My opinion; "One should be willing to earn the money and benefits, through their labor, that the IBT has negotiated with funding from DUES paying members, that contractually obligates UPS."
This is mentality that forced me to quit the union in1997.
I have always worked under the philosophy that if I can not meet the standards of the company that hired me, my employer has every right to fire me. They set my pay scale to my preformance.

The only time I have been restricted from advancement, in my working life, is when I worked for a company's controlled by a union. -(I have worked for three union controlled company's). The standards of unions are always set by the lowest common denominator and seniority is the golden rule, not competence on ability, or performance.

kingOFchester

Thanks to Satelitedriver complaining about this thread being 8 pages long, and numerous other posts on this thread by Satelitedriver, we are now at 10 pages.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
This is mentality that forced me to quit the union in1997.
I have always worked under the philosophy that if I can not meet the standards of the company that hired me, my employer has every right to fire me. They set my pay scale to my preformance.

The only time I have been restricted from advancement, in my working life, is when I worked for a company's controlled by a union. -(I have worked for three union controlled company's). The standards of unions are always set by the lowest common denominator and seniority is the golden rule, not competence on ability, or performance.

Now I am curious?
Since you quit the union in 1997, what doors have opened, stripping you of the union restrictions that held you back for so long.
​I take from your posts that you're still a driver?
I don't know about you, but I get a letter every year informing me of the opportunity to put my letter in for management.
Other than that, I'm not sure what advancement you could possibly be talking about after topping out in the driving ranks?
I think I would like to transfer to your building, because the standards in mine are almost impossible to meet for the lions share of the drivers.

Now I am curious?
Since you quit the union in 1997, what doors have opened, stripping you of the union restrictions that held you back for so long.
​I take from your posts that you're still a driver?
I don't know about you, but I get a letter every year informing me of the opportunity to put my letter in for management.
Other than that, I'm not sure what advancement you could possibly be talking about after topping out in the driving ranks?
I think I would like to transfer to your building, because the standards in mine are almost impossible to meet for the lions share of the drivers.
yea it's like there isn't even enough time to take on the phone!!!

C

chuchu

Really?
I mean really.
in the rain.

My opinion;

Actually, it's just prestress relief. We got so crushed in our center ( due to insufficient staffing) that drivers were taking lunches at 2100 just to get their customers delivered. Was that smart? No. But they did it so that the families on their route could enjoy Christmas. It's not the customers fault we are always short staffed.

preload1

2012 21 business days between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
2013 17 business days between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
That means that there was 23% more time last year between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

UPS predicts peak volume to be up 8% this year.

23% less time to do 8% more work is an increase of over 30%.

Ups is hiring the same amount of seasonal hires as it did in 2011 and 2012.

Here is the plan:
"UPS executives said that this year's late Thanksgiving holiday, Nov. 28, will be a challenge. Cramming holiday shipments into fewer days could make the network run more efficiently"
Could make the network run more efficiently??? And if not, then what?? Oh, thanks for "cramming". Will make my checks look all that much better!!

Throw in a major storm and we are all friend'd.

All the info listed above can be found here:
UPS more than doubles 3Q profit - Yahoo Finance

And your point is what? One way or another everything will get delivered. Suck it up. I'm sure the drivers in Florida and Arizona appreciate your warning about that major snow storm.

kingOFchester

I think you should thank Sat for taking the focus off of your "fuzzy math".

Einstein, First my math was correct. I used assumed numbers, but that does not mean my math is wrong. I admitted that my math was using assumed numbers. You challenged me on my math, not on the numbers I was using. You even went as far as using an example that does nothing to support your accusations about my math.

Why don't you grab your pail, shovel and barbies......throw another hissy fit and leave the sandbox and return to what I assume to be an unfulfilled life.

I have given you numerous opportunities to show me where my MATH was wrong. I admitted that I used assumed numbers, will you admit that your accusation about my math was wrong?

You think I should thank Sat, I think you are an a'hole......But we all know opinions are like A'holes. We all have them, as do message boards, and they all stink.

Go throw a tantrum and post another goodbye letter.

kingOFchester

And your point is what? One way or another everything will get delivered. Suck it up. I'm sure the drivers in Florida and Arizona appreciate your warning about that major snow storm.

I was unaware that a major storm in the northeast would have no affect on Florida. Here I though that I was picking up packages that are sent all over. Learned something new.

We all complain. Thats what 90% of BC is about. I was clearly stating that in MY opinion that this will be a very heavy peak. In fact, I thought I mentioned that I would be paid well for the longer hours that I predict.

As far as weather, that came from Scott Davis. He is the one stating that a major storm could have big consequences do to their decision "to cram more work".

Only time will tell if I am correct in my assumption. Not complaining. Just predicting.

Actually, it's just prestress relief. We got so crushed in our center ( due to insufficient staffing) that drivers were taking lunches at 2100 just to get their customers delivered. Was that smart? No. But they did it so that the families on their route could enjoy Christmas. It's not the customers fault we are always short staffed.

Some would call it foreplay before getting @**#&#.

Einstein, First my math was correct. I used assumed numbers, but that does not mean my math is wrong. I admitted that my math was using assumed numbers. You challenged me on my math, not on the numbers I was using. You even went as far as using an example that does nothing to support your accusations about my math.

Why don't you grab your pail, shovel and barbies......throw another hissy fit and leave the sandbox and return to what I assume to be an unfulfilled life.

I have given you numerous opportunities to show me where my MATH was wrong. I admitted that I used assumed numbers, will you admit that your accusation about my math was wrong?

You think I should thank Sat, I think you are an a'hole......But we all know opinions are like A'holes. We all have them, as do message boards, and they all stink.

Go throw a tantrum and post another goodbye letter.
Yea. All I'm thinking is when is he going away again. I can't wait.