Article 22.3/Air Combo not allowed any overtime

Achilles

20 year driver just recently won the bid for a Article 22.3/Air Combo job. Every once and awhile management calls me in early to shuttle mis-routes or late air. Union rep informed them he will file a grievance if they use me because extra work goes to utility drivers even if they are over 8 hours. This just seems odd to me that a 20 year employee can't have access to extra work while a 5 year pre-load/ utility person can work 12 hours a day if they choose. Am I the only union UPS employee not allowed 1 min of overtime? lol

StoptheAct1212

Hey, :censored2:it.. enjoy the easy job for the next 10 years..... i know it sucks, but when you bid on it. You should of known. Better... you only get the overtime when they need you...

ManInBrown

I'd be in heaven with an 8 and skate gig. Would hurt financially but in time I would adjust. The package job is so bad right now with the 8-9 PM finish times it's becoming mentally and physically unhealthy.

km3

Consider yourself lucky. Most article 22.3s in my building get forced to work 10-12 hours. The newer ones who transferred from package are really upset because they were told by HR they would leave after 8 hours but that just isn't the case.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Around here we can give drivers 12 hours and not hear a peep, but you let one 22.3 or inside PTer get a minute of OT and you better run for the hills.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
22.3 here and OT is no scarce commodity. I could easily work 50+ hours a week with hub sorts inside/inside. 45 + hours last week and I try NOT to get OT.
Though if you are inside/air, especially AM, OT is probably difficult to come by, depending upon the job, hours and so on.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
20 year driver just recently won the bid for a Article 22.3/Air Combo job. Every once and awhile management calls me in early to shuttle mis-routes or late air. Union rep informed them he will file a grievance if they use me because extra work goes to utility drivers even if they are over 8 hours. This just seems odd to me that a 20 year employee can't have access to extra work while a 5 year pre-load/ utility person can work 12 hours a day if they choose. Am I the only union UPS employee not allowed 1 min of overtime? lol
That labor ruling came down about 10 years ago.
The original case involved combos in NY working inside OT and some how they were able to make it effect all driving combos.
Most of the pre-retirement guys end up in these jobs , they don't mind the pay cut , they just want to slide into retirement .

Achilles

I do consider myself very lucky to get one of these 8 and skate jobs. Very happy not being forced to work 10-12 hour days, it has allowed me to spend more time with the family this summer. Was just looking for a little extra gambling money for a Vegas trip, manager ask if I wanted a few extra hours shuttling late air/misroutes but was informed by union rep I am not allowed. No big deal, I would think this would be considered extra work and would go to employees with the highest building seniority, but I guess that is not the case. Thanks for the replies. I must admit it is kinda weird being told I can't touch ground packages after delivering them for 20 years. lol

Mr. Marshall

In our building it used to be no OT for 22.3 but that changed with the staffing issues that really magnified a few years back and now many of the hub/preload combos are working more hours than the drivers. I heard of a 22.3 who wasn't red circled who made 84k last year and that's at a rate that is $5.50 lower than driver.

barnyard

KTM rider
Around here we can give drivers 12 hours and not hear a peep, but you let one 22.3 or inside PTer get a minute of OT and you better run for the hills.

That is the case in my building. Late air is brought out by 22.3s, frequently I have asked if they could deliver on their way back or on their way to other meet. It is very frequently no, because they are too close to OT.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
That is the case in my building. Late air is brought out by 22.3s, frequently I have asked if they could deliver on their way back or on their way to other meet. It is very frequently no, because they are too close to OT.
Well, that and they don't want it to look like they have another driver on road.

I know. I know, but they ARE on road.

Hellobrown2000

I'd be in heaven with an 8 and skate gig. Would hurt financially but in time I would adjust. The package job is so bad right now with the 8-9 PM finish times it's becoming mentally and physically unhealthy.
Try killing your self for half the pay, being treated way worse and at any gust of wind be fired. N N N N N N N next.

flatbread

Occasional Lurker
I'm a new 22.3 (shifter combo), and what I'm reading here is all weird to me. My HR bid is 12:00 to 21:00. I have the option of starting as early as day sort starts (sometimes as early as 9:45 on Mondays) but always start NLT 12:00. I can take as little lunch break as I want unless twilight hasn't started when feeders lets me out of shifting. Then there's work available at least until 9:15. Guess I have a good building.

PT Car Washer

I'm a new 22.3 (shifter combo), and what I'm reading here is all weird to me. My HR bid is 12:00 to 21:00. I have the option of starting as early as day sort starts (sometimes as early as 9:45 on Mondays) but always start NLT 12:00. I can take as little lunch break as I want unless twilight hasn't started when feeders lets me out of shifting. Then there's work available at least until 9:15. Guess I have a good building.
I am assuming you are a 22.3 Feeder combo job. Not allowed at my building.