Asking for Double Time

floridays

All I know is my manager was desperate to cover a route on my vacation week. Told me I could either take the vacation on a later date if I want, or he could give me the vacation pay plus time and a half for every hour worked. He wasn't forcing me to not take vacation, just offering me that choice if I was willing to work that week.
He falsified.

floridays

I understand what a day off is, I also understand what vacation is when entered on timecards.
If he paid you for working a day off and paid you vacation pay he falsified.

Nothing at Express is dealt with until something goes sideways.

I wouldn't put myself in the position to defend my action when sideways materialized.

He/She falsified, it didn't go sideways.

vantexan

I understand what a day off is, I also understand what vacation is when entered on timecards.
If he paid you for working a day off and paid you vacation pay he falsified.

Nothing at Express is dealt with until something goes sideways.

I wouldn't put myself in the position to defend my action when sideways materialized.

He/She falsified, it didn't go sideways.
Or it could be that such situations are so rare that most employees aren't familiar with it. He apparently had that option available to him but the company only allows it in extreme circumstances. I also pointed out awhile back that in areas where the company is having a difficult time finding qualified candidates to hire they can rehire a former employee at his last pay before leaving. Dano insisted no such policy exists but I was not only told that by an HR rep but a mgr pulled it up on computer where it's clearly spelled out. There are times when the company will do what it has to but only as a last resort.

floridays

I also pointed out awhile back that in areas where the company is having a difficult time finding qualified candidates to hire they can rehire a former employee at his last pay before leaving.
100% correct, even without the difficulty of finding qualified new meat in the seat.

There is a qualifier however, the separation had to be within a year, per policy.
Special dispensation can be given to extend the period by the Director.

vantexan

100% correct, even without the difficulty of finding qualified new meat in the seat.

There is a qualifier however, the separation had to be within a year, per policy.
Special dispensation can be given to extend the period by the Director.
Actually they've ended rehiring former employees at old pay if rehired within a year.

vantexan

Actually that is incorrect, job classification dictates.
Heard that from several mgrs. But what I referred to was a specific policy when finding qualified candidates in a particular area is difficult. It's clearly spelled out. Employee may have left several years ago, doesn't have to be within a year.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Something tells me management at his station is working around the policy and as he said are putting it in as “day off” rather than as vacation days, which would probably cause them to be paid OT.
Wouldn't surprise me. Of course, some idiot will swear that it's company policy because it happened to him and blah blah blah without taking 5 minutes to look it up.

59 Dano

I and others are reporting that experience. Doubt a mgr is going to chance losing their career to get a route covered.

But but but but ops managers are overworked and the job is so hard and the pressure is so great and they're all liars and cons and cheats who bend and break as many rules as possible to appease their seniors/directors/VPs who don't care how many rules are broken and how many employees are screwed as long as it gets done well enough to look good on paper!!

falcon back

The hell it wasn't. He knowingly paid you OT pay that was clearly in violation of OT policy.
How is a manager paying you OT and violating policy?. The payroll system computes and figures all check amounts. If the courier marks DAY OFF and the payroll system pays you OT, the manager did nothing to make the OT show on the check, payroll did. Payroll knows you are getting vacation pay and worked hrs at the same time and yet they pay you OT, apparently payroll and policy see things different
Just like when we worked Mothers Day in the past. If you do not mark anything as far as DAY OFF, payroll will pay you regular pay for Sunday and OT on Friday, your 6th day. Sunday was your day off yet payroll will pay OT on Friday.

59 Dano

How is a manager paying you OT and violating policy?.
When it's not per policy.
The payroll system computes and figures all check amounts. If the courier marks DAY OFF and the payroll system pays you OT, the manager did nothing to make the OT show on the check, payroll did. Payroll knows you are getting vacation pay and worked hrs at the same time and yet they pay you OT, apparently payroll and policy see things different
Just like when we worked Mothers Day in the past. If you do not mark anything as far as DAY OFF, payroll will pay you regular pay for Sunday and OT on Friday, your 6th day. Sunday was your day off yet payroll will pay OT on Friday.
LOL. The DAY OFF box is to be marked, and OT paid, when you're working a regularly scheduled day off during 5 day workweek and will be working 6 days (or a day off during a 4x10 workweek and will be working 5 days). Your belief is that payroll wouldn't give it to you if you weren't rightfully entitled to it, and that's laughable. There's a line of people a mile long who've had to pay money back to payroll because they were paid money that wasn't rightfully theirs, me included. You're lucky you didn't get caught.

Again, when pressed for a policy citation for something you think is policy, you don't have one because you don't know what you're talking about.

vantexan

The hell it wasn't. He knowingly paid you OT pay that was clearly in violation of OT policy.
Did it not get submitted to payroll? Aren't there audits? No red flags when a courier grosses that much in a week? Could it be possible, dare I say it, that you just aren't familiar with that policy? Would be the first time.