Average preload sort/shift hours

TapeItUp

Also there is a $1.00 an hour shift difference if you move to preload. They probably won't just give it to you, but if you make the switch be sure to talk to HR if you don't get it. They will probably play stupid about it but the thing is if you move from preload to local sort they won't hesitate to take it from you.

watdaflock?

Also there is a $1.00 an hour shift difference if you move to preload. They probably won't just give it to you, but if you make the switch be sure to talk to HR if you don't get it. They will probably play stupid about it but the thing is if you move from preload to local sort they won't hesitate to take it from you.

^ Great post. Pretty sure new hires still considered in training/probation period (whatever) make a buck less than those with seniority. If ya can go preload check and see if it's any more $.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
This will vary not only building to building, but from sort to sort -- and sometimes area to area (for example, if you load trucks in my building, you'll average at least .5 hours more per day).

As a generalization... in a non-hub, Preload will work more hours than Local Sort (or equivalent, e.g. Twilight/Sunset/Reload/etc.) Hours by shift in a large hub seem to heavily vary, probably based upon the favorability of the local/regional supplement as well as available labor poll. For example, Louisville is a competitive labor environment, so PTers report forced overtime & an abundance of double shifting opportunities. In Jacksonville (IIRC), if PTers are scheduled for 8 hours, they're not entitled to OT thus UPS has been known to take advantage of this.

I have long advocated the PT guarantee should be upped to 4, but the union has responded by saying that the majority of PTers work in excess of 4, and forced overtime is just as much a complaint.

Most BrownCafe participants complain about the 17.5 hour diet, but we do have some that complain about excessive shifts -- not just in hubs, but in the Los Angeles, New York and Boston areas. Of course, the composition of posters doesn't represent anything but... how long does the average PTer work? I'm fairly confident that for Preload, it's "around" 20, for Local Sort (and equivalent) less than 20 and for large hubs the number is unique to the operating environment -- but probably between 20-25 for most. Peak season & large buildings in unique situations (like Louisville) drive paper averages hub.

HBGPreloader

In our building preloaders average about 4 hours per day and there's almost always plenty of extra work - if you want it.
I load the package cars and average about 4.5 hours per day.

Dominic

In our building preloaders average about 4 hours per day and there's almost always plenty of extra work - if you want it.
I load the package cars and average about 4.5 hours per day.
Same... 4:35am - 9:25am m-friend like clockwork....never seen less, never seen more.
Disclosure: only been with UPS since march. Id expect those times to change during seasonal.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Same... 4:35am - 9:25am m-friend like clockwork....never seen less, never seen more.
Disclosure: only been with UPS since march. Id expect those times to change during seasonal.

Yeah, you can expect them to nearly double during Peak.

If you can sign up to a Peak helper. It will give you extra $$ but more importantly it will give you a taste of what happens to the packages after you have finished loading them.

Dominic

Yeah, you can expect them to nearly double during Peak.

If you can sign up to a Peak helper. It will give you extra $$ but more importantly it will give you a taste of what happens to the packages after you have finished loading them.
That's kinda what im lookin for. Ups does a poor job educating the preloader of what actually happens after they r done. I find myself constantly pickin the drivers brain. To understand the drivers job only helps me do mine but they throw us to the wolves so fast there is no time for advanced knowledge of the process. Anywho, lookin forward to when things get crazy .

Dominic

That's kinda what im lookin for. Ups does a poor job educating the preloader of what actually happens after they r done. I find myself constantly pickin the drivers brain. To understand the drivers job only helps me do mine but they throw us to the wolves so fast there is no time for advanced knowledge of the process. Anywho, lookin forward to when things get crazy .
In fact... Ive learned more about UPS in the last 48hrs from this forum than the previous 3 months of hands on experience!

FlaccidEgo

I was never told when I started on preload that I was supposed to have 17.5 hours a week guaranteed, but so far it has worked out that I get around 17.5 hours on shorter weeks and almost 19 on busier weeks.

But like you it's not enough to help cover the bills along with my wife's income, so I am hoping to start driving soon. Doing the training course next week, if I pass then I am hoping it won't be too long after I return before I am out driving, but am prepared for the worst i.e. not driving until peak season.

box_beeyotch

I was never told when I started on preload that I was supposed to have 17.5 hours a week guaranteed, but so far it has worked out that I get around 17.5 hours on shorter weeks and almost 19 on busier weeks.

But like you it's not enough to help cover the bills along with my wife's income, so I am hoping to start driving soon. Doing the training course next week, if I pass then I am hoping it won't be too long after I return before I am out driving, but am prepared for the worst i.e. not driving until peak season.

Being a helper during peak brings in some pretty good extra coin if you're willing to work long hours and freeze to death.

HBGPreloader

The contract only guarantees 3.5 hours day. And, that's only if you request it. So, if they try to send you home early, just say no thank you.
Although it depends on your location, you might be able to pick up plenty of extra hours working other shifts.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I've been on my reload shift since 2006. Long story short, I pretty much make the same amount of $$ week to week now since I started almost ten years ago.. Not complaining since I love my job, but now with my family I need more hours. I'm around #CLE and I only get 15hrs a week loading/sorting etc but I'd like to if someone around here can give a ballpark figure as to how many hours an unloader on the preload shift gets.. Im aware of the 3.5 we're supposed to get but my shift doesn't seem to have more than 17hrs a week.. Is it the same way with the preload shift or is it more/less.. Thanks
When I worked inside on nights you could have pretty much as many hours as you wanted. It varies by area and hub/center type, but there is usually more work to be done if you want it. Also you can ask for one of the jobs in the building that gets done later. One of the many jobs I did was train driver where they're often among the last hourlies to leave the building. Unloaders left first, sort aisle after them...Feeder loaders would trickle out as they finished their trailers. Pickoffs...if more than one at a station, one would leave or go help load when the flow started to wain.