Beard/mustache/goatee

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!
A topped-out UPS driver is making above $70k just in base pay assuming a 40 hour week. Add-in the inevitable OT, and it's well above that figure. I think I need one of his shirts to wipe my ass.

He's a liar.
Well I embellished a bit.
If I took my salary and divided it by the hours I actually work, then yes...I do indeed make more / hr than a topped out UPS driver on overtime.

One would think you guys would catch on to my humor by now.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Well I embellished a bit.
If I took my salary and divided it by the hours I actually work, then yes...I do indeed make more / hr than a topped out UPS driver on overtime.

One would think you guys would catch on to my humor by now.
No no you don't. You're telling me a ground contractor is paying you over 100k to "crack the whip" or supervise a few of his drivers??

Orion inc.

I like turtles
He said by the hour. If the company is staffed well he may only need to put in a few hours a day in the morning.
So he makes $50 something/HR working a few hours a day, that isn't much overall. Sounds like he's claiming he makes more overall by his statement.

I don't see a contractor paying some guy 100k or more a year to supervise.

Either way he isn't bringing in what a ups driver makes a year.

STFXG

ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1469478561.123952.jpg

Exec32

So he makes $50 something/HR working a few hours a day, that isn't much overall. Sounds like he's claiming he makes more overall by his statement.

I don't see a contractor paying some guy 100k or more a year to supervise.

Either way he isn't bringing in what a ups driver makes a year.
He was being misleading, something we become very accustom to at ground, and over time become very good at.
We learn from the best,,,,,,X

Exec32

He said by the hour. If the company is staffed well he may only need to put in a few hours a day in the morning.
Must be working for another spineless contractor doing ever thing told or on thin ice, little does he know his job will be eliminated or very quickly become manager/courier, then that hourly rate will drop to 11per hr

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!
Bite your tongues!
I am staffing for peak already, to keep me and the owner off the road until all hell breaks loose.
My job is to see everything goes smooth, it's not easy.
I no longer drive much, giving me shelf life.
I also got equity and first dibs on owning it when he jumps.

Not everyone has an arrangement like mine, I agree that I see some bs that everyone else sees. It's sad, and it doesn't represent our brand. Nothing infuriates me more than bad talk about any opco we have. I coach other couriers, I offer help to other contractors, I try to be a mentor to rookies.

At the end of the day, I know I did the best I could.

Last edited:

Pete Mitchell

McFelley is right. I'm not complaining. Once they changed the policy and allowed us to have a beard (mustaches were always ok), I grew mine out. Now I want to grow it to 2" long. If the policy says it can only be 1", then so be it, I stop at 1". This particular manager was my manager for 8 years and we never butted heads abut anything. Now I switched work groups (to get a particular route), he challenges me on everything. I asked to see the policy....still haven't. And no, it's not my job to go see what it says. He told me what it is. I just want to see it in writing.

I see this thread has gone the same way every thread goes. Ask a question and 33 responses later........lots of bitching and moaning, but still no solid answer.
I came here for the same reason: to find out if the policy changed. I've been driving for 14 years and would love a little stubble. My manager swears up and down that the policy hasn't changed but I think UPS is just trying to minimize the damage.