Beards

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
They were all brainwashed by Gillette and Barbasol ads. They actually believe "real men shave". They don't realize that they only think that because some Madison Ave prick was paid to get them to buy more shaving products. It's sad.
Real men would use a straight razor.

They could make ceramic razor blades right now that would last the average man a lifetime but nope they’ll just make a fortune off you please.

Johney

What I find amazing is 30 years ago when I started there wasn't a single driver who had a skin condition or religious belief requiring them to have a beard. Hmmm.

rod

Retired 22 years
What I find amazing is 30 years ago when I started there wasn't a single driver who had a skin condition or religious belief requiring them to have a beard. Hmmm.
That's because back then UPS employed men who could actually shift a truck--not the crybabies of today.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
why should they tell me I have to shave?

Because. legally, they can.

I fully support your right to shave. Too bad you can't support other people's right not to.

Our opinion on beards does not matter, and it's not about not supporting your right to not shave.

You do not have the right to not shave as long as you voluntarily continue to work for a company with a no beard policy.

The law allows employers to set appearance guidelines, including grooming. UPS has chosen, legally, a policy of no beards, except where it may discriminate against a protected class, or if it is a medical issue.

It may be an outdated policy, but it is still a legally binding policy.

You can apply for a religious or medical waiver.

Can it be changed? Yes.

But it's not very high on the Union's priority list. The Union has bigger issues to deal with than to try and force UPS to allow beards.

Last edited:

UPSER1987

You must really miss ups retired and have nothing better to do then sit on brown cafe. Enjoy the little life you have left pops.

Not retired you gossiping little girl. The point is most of these bearded fools look like jackasses. Outside of work do you still want to look like a fat lazy oaf? ; just to show ups how edgy you are? Now go back and find something else to tattle on snowflake.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Not retired you gossiping little girl. The point is most of these bearded fools look like jackasses. Outside of work do you still want to look like a fat lazy oaf? ; just to show ups how edgy you are? Now go back and find something else to tattle on snowflake.
Was he responding to you? Nope.

Typical management hasn’t a clue what’s going on.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Because. legally, they can.

Our opinion on beards does not matter, and it's not about not supporting your right to not shave.

You do not have the right to not shave as long as you voluntarily continue to work for a company with a no beard policy.

The law allows employers to set appearance guidelines, including grooming. UPS has chosen, legally, a policy of no beards, except where it may discriminate against a protected class, or if it is a medical issue.

It may be an outdated policy, but it is still a legally binding policy.

You can apply for a religious or medical waiver.

Can it be changed? Yes.

But it's not very high on the Union's priority list. The Union has bigger issues to deal with than to try and force UPS to allow beards.

I understand how it is, I shave every work day, no shaving cream, and against the grain. I am approaching this subject as how I think it should be. Facial hair should be a matter of personal preference, and companies shouldn't be able to impose their preference on their employees.

I don't expect, or want, the union to take a stance on the matter. What I would like to see is people respecting others' personal choices in the matter. I would never try to force other people not to shave if they want to shave, and I expect others to treat me the same way in regards to my preference.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I am approaching this subject as how I think it should be.

I can respect that and will never have an issue with anyone for expressing their opinion, even if it is different than mine.

Facial hair should be a matter of personal preference, and companies shouldn't be able to impose their preference on their employees.

I disagree.

A company should have every right to have, and enforce, an appearance guideline as to how they think their employees should look.

It is their company, and we are voluntarily continuing to work for that company.

And btw, the Law agrees.

Do you want someone like this representing your company walking into a business with a delivery?

beard.jpg

Does it stop at beards? Next the tat people will want their rights.

Do you want this representing your company?

tat.jpg

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I can respect that and will never have an issue with anyone for expressing their opinion, even if it is different than mine.

I disagree.

A company should have every right to have, and enforce, an appearance guideline as to how they think their employees should look.

It is their company, and we are voluntarily continuing to work for that company.

And btw, the Law agrees.

Do you want someone like this representing your company walking into a business with a delivery?

View attachment 271174

Does it stop at beards? Next the tat people will want their rights.

Do you want this representing your company?

View attachment 271173

My beard grows naturally and I have to put forth the extra effort to shave it, face tattoos are completely voluntary. I could argue the slippery slope the other direction too. If companies have the right to tell us what to do with this aspect of our bodies, where does their reach into our personal lives end? I personally don't have an issue with companies telling men to keep their beards well groomed, but not whether they can have one or not.