Been a lurker for awhile and registered today to combat the...

Cezanne

Here is the evolutionary chain of an OMS postion at UPS: Non-union clerk>Administrative Assistant>OMS.

An OMS is no more a supervisor than I am, they were put on salary to prevent them being considered collective bargainning material several years ago. They do the same work as any union clerical function, customer service and computer work.

They have a purpose and we have some OMS's in the package division that if the truth be known run the whole operation with the management people getting the gravy. Question: Does an OMS employee have access to any MIP, that in itself should answer what that position was created for.

SignatureRequired

If you dont like it...leave. Go greet people at Walmart or the zoo. Smile all day, no stress and hardly any taxes will be taken out of your $387 gross check. Dont let the door hit you in the ass!

VoiceOfReason

Telling it like it is
Here is the evolutionary chain of an OMS postion at UPS: Non-union clerk>Administrative Assistant>OMS.

An OMS is no more a supervisor than I am, they were put on salary to prevent them being considered collective bargainning material several years ago. They do the same work as any union clerical function, customer service and computer work.

They have a purpose and we have some OMS's in the package division that if the truth be known run the whole operation with the management people getting the gravy. Question: Does an OMS employee have access to any MIP, that in itself should answer what that position was created for.

I'm going to dispute this a little bit. The first run of OMS's, probably what you are familiar with all came from when the district run call centers dissolved into regional centers as I understand it. All the "old" OMS's where I work were call center ladies and they basically answer the phone and pass the buck to the on-cars. They are satisifed with thier postiton and desire nothing else in their lives.

No full time management has to work past 5pm in my center if they don't want to. Why? Because I run the show. I know where things are, where trucks are, whats in the trucks and who will help and how long it takes to get from here to there. I can drive and I know everthing there is to know about the diad III and IV. If you were questioning the center size we are a major center. 5000+ deliveries a day, 14,000 pieces delivered and 14,000+ PU everyday, 52 or more drivers everyday.

Myself, the two people I trained and another former- OMS from the same operation are all like this. The other guy is an on car supervisor now. And I hope I'm on my way too. We started at a new facility with newly formed centers and no preconcieved notions or any idea of the position at night. I think we learned to be above and beyond answering the phone because the on cars made it seem like that what we were supposed to do. So we did it.

I do feel somewhat used and abused. I worked 70 hours a week last peak. Drive mostly blind all day in the snow, work the center all night and repeat. I got paid for all of it, mega OT was approved but still. I thought that would push me over the top for getting fulltime. But I was wrong. Here we are looking at another peak and I'm still the PM OMS and I'm still chasing the carrot. I mentioned that I graduated college. I just finished at the beginning of the month, maybe that will put me over the top.

Anyways, I'm rambling. There is no management incentive program for OMS's. We get paid poorly.

I hope for the rest of you that sometime you get some new blood in at the OMS position, someone that is interested in going somewhere and will actually learn what you guys do out there on the road and make your lives at work a little better.

happyquitter

This message caught my eye because i also am a lurker not prone to posting. But, i do find it interesting that after me being gone from UPS for 21 years now it seems only yesterday that i was busting my hump in thoise old hot browns and crying about the dispatch on a daily basis. i guess some things will never change.
I started with UPS in 1966 and worked as a clerk till I turned 21 and then drove package cars ,vacations,feeders,and back to package cars until I quit in 1986.
I came to this board when I was trying to find out about pension info and I still visit now and then.
UPS was agreat start for me as a job and the habits I learned have served me well thru the years.You learn to appreciate what real work is and what intense pressure is when you work at UPS. It does sound like the same problems exist that were common when I was there.There are other careers out there!
I do agree with the one poster,I can't remember who, but they said that they just want both sides to be fair and that is why they bring up issues and problems for discussion.
Unforunately, I am sure that just as it was with me over 20 years ago the most fair supervisors usually end up quitting before they can ever effect a change. The buddyholes that remain are the ones who cause the most trouble.
Is there anyone from Indpls on the board and what do you do.I worked on 16th st. in the East and South and Feeders.

rngri4

I'm going to dispute this a little bit. The first run of OMS's, probably what you are familiar with all came from when the district run call centers dissolved into regional centers as I understand it. All the "old" OMS's where I work were call center ladies and they basically answer the phone and pass the buck to the on-cars. They are satisifed with thier postiton and desire nothing else in their lives.

No full time management has to work past 5pm in my center if they don't want to. Why? Because I run the show. I know where things are, where trucks are, whats in the trucks and who will help and how long it takes to get from here to there. I can drive and I know everthing there is to know about the diad III and IV. If you were questioning the center size we are a major center. 5000+ deliveries a day, 14,000 pieces delivered and 14,000+ PU everyday, 52 or more drivers everyday.

Myself, the two people I trained and another former- OMS from the same operation are all like this. The other guy is an on car supervisor now. And I hope I'm on my way too. We started at a new facility with newly formed centers and no preconcieved notions or any idea of the position at night. I think we learned to be above and beyond answering the phone because the on cars made it seem like that what we were supposed to do. So we did it.

I do feel somewhat used and abused. I worked 70 hours a week last peak. Drive mostly blind all day in the snow, work the center all night and repeat. I got paid for all of it, mega OT was approved but still. I thought that would push me over the top for getting fulltime. But I was wrong. Here we are looking at another peak and I'm still the PM OMS and I'm still chasing the carrot. I mentioned that I graduated college. I just finished at the beginning of the month, maybe that will put me over the top.

Anyways, I'm rambling. There is no management incentive program for OMS's. We get paid poorly.

I hope for the rest of you that sometime you get some new blood in at the OMS position, someone that is interested in going somewhere and will actually learn what you guys do out there on the road and make your lives at work a little better.

One quote caught my eye, you run the center, given the caliber of most OMS's, and given the fact that you seem to be right up there with most of them, that scares the heck out of me. I am in Full Time management, but I still look at the caliber of a small minority of Part Timers as one of our biggest company problems. These people, like yourself, think they control everything, because they are the only ones there at the time....NEWS FLASH....what other company makes Full Time employees take orders from Part Timers? I have never heard of one, frankly, your attitude is your problem, you don't technically run anything, you answer phones and send out messages, thats it, and I have worked as an OMS and I know the job inside and out, and frankly, just because you went to a training class, and the idiot teacher, with the new OMS training, put the BS in your head that you run everything, I for one will tell you it's not the case.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
One quote caught my eye, you run the center, given the caliber of most OMS's, and given the fact that you seem to be right up there with most of them, that scares the heck out of me. I am in Full Time management, but I still look at the caliber of a small minority of Part Timers as one of our biggest company problems. These people, like yourself, think they control everything, because they are the only ones there at the time....NEWS FLASH....what other company makes Full Time employees take orders from Part Timers? I have never heard of one, frankly, your attitude is your problem, you don't technically run anything, you answer phones and send out messages, thats it, and I have worked as an OMS and I know the job inside and out, and frankly, just because you went to a training class, and the idiot teacher, with the new OMS training, put the BS in your head that you run everything, I for one will tell you it's not the case.

Yeah, what rngri4 said!!

VoiceOfReason

Telling it like it is

Dude did I run over your dog? Let me come work under you and let you make a real opinion of me.

I have full command of my drivers as a part-timer. I do not order anyone to do anything. I have built relationships with all of them by coming through for them time and time again and in return they come through for me when I ask them, I always spread the pain (extra work) around and rarely ride the same horse more than once in a day or back to back days. Thats how I earn respect and authority. I wish others would follow this formula.

helenofcalifornia

Ok, Ok, I believe that you are one of the good guys if you are doing as you said above. What I would object to in the above commentary is calling the drivers "my drivers." They are not "your" drivers. You may have forged a good relationship with them which will make your job a whole lot easier, but you don't own them. Small point, but that really irritated the hell out of me when you said that.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
In defense, I believe the poster meant "my drivers" as in the ones he/she is responsible for helping. Not in a slave sort of way. Ive heard others say the same things when talking about loading etc, as my drivers, or my trucks.

hoser

Industrial Slob
your setting yourself up for a huge disappointment!
With that attitude, of course you will. The kind of climate that is destroying UPS is thriving on this thread; a supervisor says he enjoys his job and he does his best and he gets ridiculed.

UPS has issues because of the structure of the company. Not the men and women that choose to become supervisors. They have their supervisors, and those supervisors have their supervisors, and soforth.

Don't blame the supervisor for overloading your package car when he has no budget to get extra couriers or package cars, and has his supervisors nipping at his heels telling him to get his volume up.

Everyone of the bellyachers towards management should sup for a few weeks. And I think the CEO of UPS should do a week of stacking trailers and a week of running as a courier.

rngri4

They are my responsibility so I call them mine. I don't mean it to sound like a derogatory term.

Look at the OMS Job Description again, people like you are the problem, the responsibilities are that call tags, one time pickup's, and regular pickup etc are made. PM Dispatch is not your responsibility, it is the Driver Sups who are held accountable. No, these drivers are not "mine" you have a lot to learn, after 4 years, you would have thought you would've learned by now.

VoiceOfReason

Telling it like it is
Look at the OMS Job Description again, people like you are the problem, the responsibilities are that call tags, one time pickup's, and regular pickup etc are made. PM Dispatch is not your responsibility, it is the Driver Sups who are held accountable. No, these drivers are not "mine" you have a lot to learn, after 4 years, you would have thought you would've learned by now.

Your center must be the 7th level of hell to work in if you carry that attitude to work.

upsgoingdown

upsgoingdown
VOICE OF REASON, my friend, your comments are surely welcomed but I tell you this solemn promise. Your positive attitude will change and that is inevitible.this will happen not because you will grow into a grumpy "middle aged man" , one day you will probably start a family and be in the position that if you ever become a liablity to UPS you and those you love the most will be subjected to cruel suffering because at this point managers (who should be your allie) have no choice but to be against you. It's the way the company is set up. I am a 17 year employee who was serioulsly hurt on the job and what my family and I have been put through would make you sick. UPS has absolutely nofeeling for its employees and tries their best to starve you out when times are hard enough. i like to direct you to my blog at upswrong (make sure you connect to the link on "advertiser news,"and I also have a thread on this site "Are UPS doctors in the back pocket of UPS" Your comments are welcomed on both. this is what this company does to it's employees. Everyone loved their job at one point, I know I did but being kicked while you are down is just dirty. GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU

Uncle Rico

I can only assume that the veteran employees on this board have heard this line of thinking from a noob many times over. I left UPS 10 years ago as a full-time sup in a major midwestern hub which literally shoved 160-180k on a twighlight sort. My first peak we we all so proud of the fact that we hit upwards of 240k on a twilight sort. Needless to say the re-wrap area worked until 6am the next morning because our sort manager wanted to make it to division manager and his road to success was to force packages through a facility that could not handle it. But I degress.
Mr. "voice of reason", you have made my day for I have not had such a good laugh yet today and I have found it here in you posts. As a former employee, I am insulted in your username. If I were an employee today such as the veterans on here I would be appalled, but I guess they have more patience or get an even bigger laugh from your wide-eyed view of the UPS world.
I would dub you the "voice of naivete" because you are fresh out of college where theory in books does not by any means relate to real world experiences. As a college graduate myself, I am glad I was punishing myself every morning to wake up at 3 am to make it to the preload where I saw real world people and experiences. Then off to my classes where the daddy-is-paying-my-way-to-college a**-wipes were worrying about where the next party was.
Good for you that you have that degree, it will certainly help when your UPS worshipping evaporates in a few years and you want to get out of there. I would bet more than 50% of your drivers have degrees also, so don't ever try to use that as something special. You did your stint as a driver but again, don't think you are now "the man". There are drivers who go into areas day in and day out where police don't even respond to. That is respectable, that is courageous. The chances of them being dead is real from a gangbanger wanting to cap his hommie for the hell of it. Or a stupid white trash redneck making a meth lab in his garage which could blow up when the UPS man is delivering his new deer stand.
Point is, good for you that you finished college, worked your way into a higher position than loader/unloader at UPS. UPS loves guys like you, gung ho, maybe a brown tatoo is an inconspicuous place on your body which shows your loyalty to big brown. But reality really sucks having been there myself. As strong of a disposition you may have, it is the day to day realities of never being given an "atta boy" from anyone ever that wears on you. As hardened as you may want to appear, the dreams of post-college paths of nirvana in life evaporate. Get married, have a kid, boy is that a reality check. Then the job you love now becomes just a means to put bread on the table and you resent it.
I am glad you feel so strongly to share your voice with us, but know that there are about 10,000 of you who are in your same position. And the reality is every one of those people will realize that numbers don't work when trying to move up the corporate ladder--it is a**-kissing, boot-licking, head rolling, career-ending for the average driver so you can look good, number fudging (don't get caught), back stabbing. That is what gets you moved up. If, morally, you can live with it, go fer it. Until then, just have a voice, not one of reason, because you really don't know :censored2: yet.

Cezanne

What has happened with UPS's management is pretty much what has been going on with most US corporations. Integrity has been reduced to situational ethics, just do not get caught or take responsibility. What happens when a young supervisor is told to do something clearly going against the stated management policy book by their manager, does he trust that if they challenge the decision they won't be thrown to the wolves. Moral character is important to the workforce, especially when it comes to the so called superiors, one thing about UPS is that secrets and reputations are hard to hide. If a manager or supervisor does something dirty to a employee, we will find out about it and judge accordingly. Seen alot of abuse over the years with personal integrity issues, alot of "Mister White Shoes" types that went into the management ranks. The ones that been divorced a couple of times and have a history of being clever liars all for the sake of advancement, they do not see the rot because they just hang around like minded individuals. The ones who become the better liars are the ones who get the better toys.

Despite what some management thinks, the veteran union workforce is not stupid. We see the kinds of individuals that have been promoted and we have seen the individuals that left, some of the betters ones left rather than be tainted. The whole Eron and maybe the HP fiasco is just a tip of the iceberg of what was happening with corporate executives in America, they do what it takes to make a profit and the greed associated with monetary gain and fat living. The balance of power has favored corporate well being over the concerns of the working people, just how far is this corruption spread?

VoiceOfReason

Telling it like it is
Uncle Rico I appreciate your post. I wanted to keep all my eggs OUT of one basket which is why I finished school in case I have to put a backup plan in place. But for now I am trudging forward and hopefully I'll be getting that brown tattoo instead of implementing plan B.